Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Help with finding age of Dog

Amy's Mom
June 7th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Hey there. I have a question for people. How do you tell how old a dog is? When I got Amy I was told she was 2 or 3 years of age.
when I took her to the vet for her teeth cleaning he said she was at least 7 years of age, maybe even 8 or 9! What gives, Why the discrepancy? Is there an easy or scientific way to tell how old she is?

thanks
Delores

hazelrunpack
June 7th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Hey there. I have a question for people. How do you tell how old a dog is? When I got Amy I was told she was 2 or 3 years of age.
when I took her to the vet for her teeth cleaning he said she was at least 7 years of age, maybe even 8 or 9! What gives, Why the discrepancy? Is there an easy or scientific way to tell how old she is?

thanks
Delores

Was Amy rescued? Often the ages get messed up in the process. Some people surrender an animal and lie about its age thinking it will help the animal find a new home. Sometimes the animal is found on the street and the shelter staff guesstimates an age. And each dog ages at a different pace. We had a 10-yr-old springer who acted like she was 3...didn't really slow down till she was past 11...and she'd had both hips replaced at the age of 5 due to dysplasia! So it can be really hard to tell sometimes how old a dog is. Often a vet can guesstimate an age from the condition of the teeth.

I've never heard of a more scientific way to tell the age of a dog, but I don't get out much--there may be one :o

If she's still acting like a 3- or 4-year-old, so much the better :thumbs up She's got a lot of years ahead of her, regardless of her age. :D

Amy's Mom
June 7th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Yes she was a rescue. The lady I got her from was not part of a rescue group. What she did was bred her and then tried to find a home for her when she didn't want her anymore.
Her teeth were really bad. the vet said she was around that age due to the condition of her teeth and gums.
Amy (the dog) was abused and I was told that before I got her. I figured that I could maybe understand a little of how she was feeling as I was in an abusive relationship at one time.
It doesn't really matter how old she is because I love her very much and she brings great joy and contentment to my life. Just wish the baggage didn't come with her sometimes, though. :shrug:

Delores

Love4himies
June 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM
With cats the vet also looks at the condition of teeth and gums to estimate age. My vet explained that they can tell from the amount of wear on the teeth.

Frenchy
June 7th, 2007, 12:48 PM
With cats the vet also looks at the condition of teeth and gums to estimate age. My vet explained that they can tell from the amount of wear on the teeth.

Yep , same things with dogs. My Bailey was dumped by the side of the road in the country, the shelter told me he was about 3 yr old. My vet said 5-6, I didn't mind at all. But your best bet would be to ask your vet.

rainbow
June 7th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Yes, the vet can tell by the condition of the teeth. :)

t.pettet
June 7th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Genetics and breed have alot to do with teeth condition as some, especially the smaller dogs, are significantly more prone to tartar and decay than the larger breeds, as well if she was on poor quality food and used consecutively for breeding then her over-all immune system is depleted. I have a rescue Pom who was fed only baby pamblum her first year and had to have 34 teeth removed at the age of 1 1/2. Had she been fed hard dry food she probably would have had less tartar and loose teeth. By looking at her mouth my vet assumed she was 4 to 5 yrs. old when in reality she was 1 1/2.

Amy's Mom
June 8th, 2007, 11:07 AM
thanks for all the replies.
It doesn't matter to me how old she actually is cause she is my baby and i love her.