Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Growing herbs from seeds?

SableCollie
June 6th, 2007, 07:03 PM
My friend got me some parsley, thyme, and basil seeds. I would love to have fresh herbs growing right in my kitchen, but I'm not exactly sure what they need to grow from seeds. Are flower pots okay? And could I use soil from my yard? (we don't use pesticides/herbicides in our yard, so the soil should be fairly chemical-free) I took gardening classes in high school, but I never really paid attention :D . I think herbs can do okay in fairly dry, poor soil, but I don't know a thing about growing them from seeds.

Any help is appreciated! :)

mummummum
June 6th, 2007, 07:14 PM
The soil from your yard might be a little dense. A soiless mix would likely be a better bet for a windowsill garden. Lots of sun, pot with a drainage hole. Pinch them back as they start to grow "legs" to encourage bushiness.

jessi76
June 6th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I would use Miracle Grow Seed Starter potting mix. A small bag goes a long way when just used for a small windowsill garden. a local hardware store or Agway should carry it.

SableCollie
June 6th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the tips!

I think we have some growing medium in the shed, but I hardly ever venture in there. I'll have to go in soon though, I will look. The dirt in our yard is pretty soft and light, and not that great a quality. I don't drive, and I don't think I could get a ride to any gardening/hardware stores anytime soon...I can hardly get a ride to the supermarket to get food! I'm also a little anti-chemical, which is why I try to avoid miracle-gro stuff, I know it's mostly artificial stuff and chemicals. I'm hoping what we have in the shed is still viable, otherwise I will have to wait until someone has to go to the hardware store, which could be months. I do remember my gardening teacher was very pro-soil, and wouldn't let us refer to growing mediums as "soil" because soil was "real", and they weren't! :o

I do have a problem with sun, no area of our house/yard gets more than partial sun, and only for a short while. We have lovely trees, and our neighbor's house towers over ours. Unfortunately this leaves us in the dark!

How deep should the seeds be planted, and how long before they sprout? I had a basil plant for a while, but when I bought it it was already grown. (And then my mom randomly threw it out one day because "it didn't have that many leaves". Well, it was the middle of the winter, and the plant didn't actually look that bad. I've been wanting a new basil plant ever since.)

mummummum
June 6th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Do you have access to compost or composted manure which you could mix with your yard soil ? Fish-based fertilizers are excellent and non-chem if you can access to them in town or over the net.

SableCollie
June 6th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Manure :yuck: yes, there is an old manure pile next to my work (horse manure) the newest manure in it is at least a year old, so it's breaking down, and there is no smell. I know people do take from there sometimes, a landscaping company used to take a bunch when the horses were still there. I could take some, if it isn't too old or anything.

We don't have any sort of compost, but I could ask people at my work, I know a couple of people who grow vegetables in the community victory gardens.

Fishies I wouldn't be comfortable using, since I am a vegetarian. :)

want4rain
June 13th, 2007, 11:56 AM
horse manure is fantastic but dont use it straight. mix it with your yard soil at a handful per pot should be just fine. depending on your lighting you may want to keep them outside where they can get more light. water frequently (daily if you can). any composting you are doing, when you get good compost, work it into the pot a few inches from the plant stalk so you dont disturb the roots but can still water the nutrition down into the roots.

shooo... as for how far down to plant the seeds, soak them over night in a little bit of water or on a wet paper towel. then carefully press them into the top of the soil. no need to bury them. just stick them onto your finger and GENTLY set it on the soil so its IN but not UNDER. then water lightly. after that, make sure it stays moist but not WET and you should see little sprouts soon!

-ash

SableCollie
June 13th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Thank you!! :) As soon as I get some manure from work, I'll start the seeds.