Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Using Blue Buffalo Pet Food

KitsapLady
June 6th, 2007, 01:44 PM
My Bassett Daphne, was born 9/11/06 This is the first time I've ever owned this breed of dog (I've always had Fawn Boxers).
She had stinky ears (even though I cleaned them) she had bad dandruff, and was red between her legs and in her arm pits.
The dandruff and stinky ears are gone since she started Blue Buffalo (http://www.bluebuff.com/) Free Range Lamb and Brown Rice . She is no longer red rashed, but is still a bit pink in those two areas. She gets plenty of fresh bones, meats, fruits and vegetables.
My 6 year old cat Kiki is doing very well on the Blue Buffalo Chicken & Rice indoor cat food.
I chose this food because they cold press their vitamins and add them to the cooked kibble (75% of vitamins in dry kibble is cooked away and is of little if any benefit to my pets) and their first ingredient is human grade de-boned Lamb or chicken or Salmon or White Fish and second ingredient is the Meal of that protein source.

Have any of you tried this pet food and if so how did your pet do on it?

Free Dog Food Sample (http://www.bluebuffalocompany.com/sample/true-blue-results.php)

Free Cat Food Sample (http://www.bluebuffalocompany.com/sample/true-blue-results-cat.php)

They started the non-profit PCA Agency (Pet Cancer Awareness), after their dog died of cancer, they learned a lot about pet nutrition through their ordeal.

So I think this is some pretty good holistic food. But I still would appreciate any input. They found out that ANI put some of that bad rice in their food (just one batch Kitten Kibble) but they were able to keep 99% of it from reaching the public and not one pet was sick or injured. They fired ANI and are now looking to manufacture their own product, or find a manufacturer that will allow them to be on premises at all times.

I feel they were quite honest, up front with info instantly and have a good deal of integrity.

phoenix
June 6th, 2007, 01:57 PM
It's not a bad food, but when you look at the brands they are comparing themselves too in your link, it's not hard to look good :cool:

Do you work for them?

geisha
June 6th, 2007, 01:59 PM
The first 2 ingredients are meat & meat meal. That's a good thing. The next ingredients are grains, oats, barley, rye etc. It is " grainy" however the botanicals (plant ingredients) are just fine. Dogfoodanalysis.com rank it as a 4 star and would recommend it. therefore your food is fine. The big bonus of course is that your dog is doing well on it and You like it because the owners are ethical. I give it a thumbs up:thumbs up

Mia101
December 2nd, 2007, 06:34 PM
It's not a bad food, but when you look at the brands they are comparing themselves too in your link, it's not hard to look good :cool:

Do you work for them?

That is so rude. I love Canidae and tout it to people, does that mean I work for them?

Why are people like this here? It's hysterical. If someone loves the food you (anyone) do, they are smart. If they like another, they must be a company rep, because no one but company reps could possibly like a food other than your choice?

Y'all crack me up!

More to TOPIC: I don't love Blue Buffalo. Looking at the ingredients, it is pretty good, but imo not as good as many foods listed in the top ten by reviewers, yet BB charges more.

However, my cat will willingly scarf it down. Anything from the top ten, she leaves in the bottom of the bowl if mixed, and won't touch if offered alone.

It may be the best option for her, though it pains me to pay what they ask for what I consider to be only the high end of mid-grade food.

I hope further research reveals it is better than my opinion as of now.

Mia101
December 2nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
The first 2 ingredients are meat & meat meal. That's a good thing. The next ingredients are grains, oats, barley, rye etc. It is " grainy" however the botanicals (plant ingredients) are just fine. Dogfoodanalysis.com rank it as a 4 star and would recommend it. therefore your food is fine. The big bonus of course is that your dog is doing well on it and You like it because the owners are ethical. I give it a thumbs up:thumbs up

The 'grainy' aspect is what put me off. However, when I did the subtraction game to find out the carb content (for cats), it came out the same as By Nature Organics, which to me had looked 'meatier'.

Since percentages are not given along with the ingredients, it's impossible to know how much meat there really is.

For instance with Canidae, one formula lists 4 meats, another only one, yet both have similar meat content.

:shrug:

I'm still trying to find a way to get a good comparison of Blue Buffalo to the top ten foods. All I get so far is propaganda for or against.

sugarcatmom
December 2nd, 2007, 07:25 PM
No comment on the dog food, but I wouldn't feed any of the Blue Buffalo dry cat foods, and especially not the "indoor" varieties. They just have WAY to many carbohydrates. And then there's this ridiculous propaganda on their website:

Wholesome Whole Grains
Hearty whole grains like brown rice, barley and oats will keep your cat supplied with the complex carbohydrates needed for energy.

There's no such thing as "wholesome whole grains" if you're a cat. And cats get all the energy requirements they need from PROTEIN, not carbohydrates. Carbs just get stored as fat.

Healthy Garden Veggies & Fruit
Whole carrots, sweet potatoes, parsley and cranberries contain phytonutrients that help your cat stay healthy.

Bull:censored:! Carrots are useless to cats because they can't convert beta carotene into vitamin A. Sweet potatoes are nothing but starchy filler. Parsley and cranberries are unnecessary and probably in such low quantities anyway as to have little therapeutic value.

mika140
December 3rd, 2007, 01:07 PM
That is so rude. I love Canidae and tout it to people, does that mean I work for them?

Why are people like this here?

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. I actually had the same thought before I read the post by phoenix. And it wasn't because I don't like the food....in fact, I hadn't even read the ingredients yet and had never really checked it out. I simply thought the same question because Kitsap was going so far out of their way to promote the product. I've seen a lot of other posts and have posted myself where I really liked a product....but generally those posts don't include as much info about the company and other stuff as this one. So I guess that's why I had the same question.....not for harsh judgments or anything, just out of curiosity :shrug: Just a question. It's great for people to include so much info for others to check out about brands though - not trying to say it's a bad thing; just don't jump on someone so quickly for then asking if the post doesn't fit the usual.

As for the kibble....seems to be one of the better you can get at large chain pet stores.

loopoo
December 3rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
just my :2cents: )

i fed it last year, and my cat had a bad reaction to it, got ill that was the canned... there was a recall shortly after but i am assuming that is okay now. Anyway, i wont feed it to my cat or dog

Mia101
December 16th, 2007, 07:17 AM
No comment on the dog food, but I wouldn't feed any of the Blue Buffalo dry cat foods, and especially not the "indoor" varieties. They just have WAY to many carbohydrates. And then there's this ridiculous propaganda on their website:

There's no such thing as "wholesome whole grains" if you're a cat. And cats get all the energy requirements they need from PROTEIN, not carbohydrates. Carbs just get stored as fat.

Bull:censored:! Carrots are useless to cats because they can't convert beta carotene into vitamin A. Sweet potatoes are nothing but starchy filler. Parsley and cranberries are unnecessary and probably in such low quantities anyway as to have little therapeutic value.

But compare the carb content to other premium foods, it's very close.

Mia101
December 16th, 2007, 07:20 AM
....but generally those posts don't include as much info about the company and other stuff as this one.

I do the same thing with Canidae, but no one says I'm a rep - because most agree it's a good food, and agree with me posting links and such proving it.

Sorry, I've seen too many times in here. If someone likes a food not deemed elite enough for members of this forum, they get accused of working for the company, but that is never said to those promoting what is generally agreed on as good foods.

Is it possible *gasp* there are foods not on the top ten that are just as good, or close enough for members to recommend?

sugarcatmom
December 16th, 2007, 02:53 PM
But compare the carb content to other premium foods, it's very close.

These are the main ingredients for the Indoor Chicken & Rice:

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Barley, Fish Meal, Oatmeal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg, Dried Cellulose, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Whole Carrots, . . . .

Cats don't need barley, rice, potatoes (sweet or otherwise), carrots, or CELLULOSE! This is all just filler and adds unnecessary carbohydrates to a carnivore's diet. Doesn't matter how it compares to other so-called 'premium' brands (most of which also contain too many grains and/or starch), any dry food with this much carb content is a poor diet to choose for a cat.

Mia101
December 17th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Well, that's part of my point. If you really want to get down to it, dry food of any brand is not the best diet for a cat.

It is silly to downgrade one grainy premium food over another for it's grains.

sugarcatmom
December 17th, 2007, 11:30 AM
If you really want to get down to it, dry food of any brand is not the best diet for a cat.

BINGO!! That's exactly what I'm saying.

------
ETA that while I don't think there is any brand of kibble that is actually GOOD for cats (yes, that includes even Innova EVO or Wellness CORE or Orijen or whatever), the ones that are particularly bad are the 'Indoor', 'Light', 'Diet', 'Hairball', and 'Senior' varieties.

badgerdogbren
December 29th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I thought it seemed like a good food too and tried it. My dogs loved it but problem was all my dogs got the runs on it. I had heard of this happening to others as well so I called the company to ask what they thought. A very rude woman from BB told me that "my dogs" just could not handle good food. :mad: I never bought it again. I use Natural Balance as well as fresh venison and they are all fine now.
Bren & The Harmony Hounds

Mia101
December 30th, 2007, 03:18 AM
BINGO!! That's exactly what I'm saying.

------
ETA that while I don't think there is any brand of kibble that is actually GOOD for cats (yes, that includes even Innova EVO or Wellness CORE or Orijen or whatever), the ones that are particularly bad are the 'Indoor', 'Light', 'Diet', 'Hairball', and 'Senior' varieties.

I agree. Most of those are gimmicks, and actually lower quality than the regular adult.

What I was trying to say about BB (and maybe I didn't very well) is that when comparing to the dry cat foods that are considered good (relative to any dry cat food being 'good'), it is a contender.

Since my cat won't eat anything better, it may be the best for her. There is no use in the very best food if the cat won't eat it!

It pains me to pay what they ask when there are better foods for less, but at least she eats it. I am still finding By Nature Organics at the bottom of every bowl that is mixed with Nutro. Same for Felidae, and one other top 10 food I tried. I give. She can eat BB for her dry rations.

sugarcatmom
December 30th, 2007, 08:52 AM
There is no use in the very best food if the cat won't eat it!

Absolutely! You do what you can with what you have to work with. :D