Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Crazies at 5am!

chicmate
June 6th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Hello all! I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me!

I have had a little cat for about 4 months and she's just the best little darling, except....!! EVERYDAY at 5am she gets the crazies and races around my apartment and meows for about 10 minutes. It wakes me up every morning. Once she's done, she jumps up on the bed and falls asleep until I wake up a few hours later. It's so disruptive though! I've tried ignoring her, but she still wakes me up every day, like clock-work at 5am! I'm all for racing around the apartment, but 5am is too early! Any ideas on how to re-arrange her schedule?

happycats
June 6th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Another kitty playmate usually helps!;)

What exactly do you do when she wakes you?
If you feed, give attention, let her in your room, when she does this, that just encourages this behaviour.

Never let her know that your actually awake, and keep ignoring her.

ancientgirl
June 6th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Well, I have two little ones that do the same thing. I had Vlad first, and he never woke up early, he'd sleep through the night with me. I brought Oksana home a month later as a playmate for him, and they both wake up several times during the night to play.

When I was off Memorial Day weekend, I spent my time off at home, and I kept them active for a couple of hours just before we all went to bed. They both slept until I woke up the next morning. But if they sleep during the evening they tend to wake up a few times.

Sooooo.... you might try playing with him for a bit before bedtime and tiring her out.

heidiho
June 6th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Ok i dont know what age they start that,but so far i have been blessed with the perfect kitten,i think it is around 5:30 am every morning roxy gets out of bed and goes in the living room,i have no idea what she does out there,but she does not bother us at all,even if her food bowl is empty,when i get up at 6:15 she is either on her condo,.or she is laying on the floor right outside the door,which is wide open..Sorry :sorry: just had to share that.But if she did do that(I LOVE MY SLEEP)she would be on her own in the other room,cause i would shut my bedroom door..

Smiley14
June 6th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Sometimes it helps to leave a bit of dry food out overnight as well. Sometimes the zoomies are attention getters, trying to get the human out of bed to fill the food bowl. :) If the door is left open enough for the cat to get out of bed and see to his own needs, it can sometimes help. Beyond that, keep on ignoring is really the best answer. It took me completely ignoring (laying in bed not even moving in reaction) for a good month before I got my cat to stop doing that. Of course, he was much younger then! But in any event, it's not a very fun answer because it takes lots of time and patience, but it really does seem to work eventually!

kittykate
June 21st, 2007, 04:02 PM
This is something I know well! My cat used to wake me up every morning without fail, if I pretended I was asleep, he would leave me alone, but if I even turned over it was like open season! I started to split his evening meal into 2 parts, I gave him half when we had our dinner, then half before we went to bed. It worked for the longest time...until we moved about a month ago now he is back giving me 5 am wake up calls! Maybe you could try the food thing, hopefully it works!

:goodvibes:

clm
June 21st, 2007, 10:43 PM
You're lucky it's 5am....I get up at 4:30 so that wouldn't be too bad :laughing: Mine all like to start running all over the house as soon as we go to bed. They tear around like crazy for 30 or 40 minutes and then they settle down. It's okay unless I hear them pull down the blinds or knock over something, then I have to get up and make sure everybody is okay :frustrated:

Cindy

heather17021977
June 22nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
My two 5 month olds do this also. I think it's hilarious. Around 11pm when we go to bed, they've just had their 1.5 hour nap and are raring to go. They run all over us on the bed, do laps around our room. They use our clothes bureaus and leaping tools...I always wake up during the night to hearing them walk across my bureau and playing with my jewelry (this part is not so funny)

But when I wake up in the morning, they are both sleeping on top of me and I love it...such cute antics :)

ancientgirl
June 22nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
Sounds like mine. I've woken up in the middle of the night to a cat running across my face.

hazelrunpack
June 22nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
*hazel blearily peers through heavy lids and checks the clock: 4:30 a.m.*

After 2 1/2 years, the "Setter alarm" still goes off at 4 or 4:30 every morning. he he I don't suspect it will get much better for while--we're getting another one tomorrow...and I'm sure in no time the Pack will have him just as fond of the wee hours of the morning as they are. :rolleyes: But at least as they've gotten older, on weekends they're more willing to go back to bed after that initial onslaught of activity...

My piece of advice for you, chicmate, is to become a morning person! :thumbs up :eek:

*yeah, that doesn't work for hazel, either. :o *