Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Helpful Tip

SandraLM
June 5th, 2007, 10:35 PM
To keep animals out of the trash bags. Spray them with windex or another cleaner that has a lot of ammonia in it. Animals don't like the odor of it.

mummummum
June 5th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I'm more of the mind that it's safer to keep temptaton out of sight and reach. I also prefer to use cleaning products that aren't harmful to the environment and are safe for animals. :2cents:

Ford Girl
June 6th, 2007, 03:28 PM
To keep animals out of the trash bags. Spray them with windex or another cleaner that has a lot of ammonia in it. Animals don't like the odor of it.

This I would do for the outside trash on trash day, behind our back yard is an offleash park which is very close to a provinical park within the city, there are several cyotoes that invade the gabage every Thursday night like clock work, we wake up to garbage everywhere! All down the ally, in the park, on the roads!! Our bags (all our neighbours have thier garbage secured too) are even in wooden bins, with a latch - which we can't really lock or the garbage man won't be able to open them, we have had to install sensor lights, a latch, and a beepers that makes this gawd aweful noise when disturbed...I might try this out. (My dog has no access to this area) I can't even take Dazy out there on the wekend without doing a tour and picking up garbage first cuz she will eat anything!!

i_have_too_many
June 6th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Ammonia is the strong smell in pee, so if you dont mind your garbage bags getting peed on all night, go ahead. I would prefer to use a garbage can with a locking lid.

CyberKitten
June 6th, 2007, 11:24 PM
There are too many products I would never want in my cat or dog's system in Windex!! It is not sometimes simply the ingredient but how they interact with other ions and products in the body. Since I am not a canine physiologist, I cannot give you a good example but just ammonia alone - while "safe" in small amts if not ingested by animals is not something you want interacting with say, potassium or other elements.

And not all animals are deterred by the smell of ammonia. I occasionally would wash out my rabbit's litter box with an ammonia based product and thoroughly clean it and get rid of every bit of residue - since bunnies have such a delicate digestive system! - but he would still insist on checking it out as I did it so I'd have to keep in in another room while I did this. And have his other litter box avalable there. Still, I knew he was unhappy because he'd stomp when I returned - usually his way of informing me he was unhappy with me, lol But I would take it outside in nice weather and wash it thoroughly with a water hose and then dry it. Even then, I am sure there were traces of it but not enough to harm him. Still, I'd never use it to deter him or any other animal.

There are so many good ways or positively training animals that I am loathe to use negative reinfocement but then I am not the biggest believer in behaviour mod - perfer the positive reinforcement of its tenets!

In fact, there is a page on this very web site that states A good tip is NOT to use ammonia or ammonia based products to clean up cat urine since ammonia smells similar to cat urine, so you will be defeating the purpose. Taken from : http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-19.htm
(as in defeating the smell of cat urine). I realize dogs are different but why would you want that smell in your garbage? It reminds me of the suggestion of placing garlic or citrus near one's flowers to keep away outdoor cats. I guess I would prefer to be able to help a cat were s/he to show up near my home so I dot want to dissuade any of them. Yes, they sometimes dig up my flowers - and I am sure to plant only those that are not poisonous to kitties and dogs - but if I want to ensure my plants survival, I plant them in a fenced in area. For the most part, there are but a few roaming neighbourhood cats - most ppl here are good "owners" and keep their kitties inside where it is safe but the few who do wander the area know not to chew my plants. They know if they lay on the front step (where it is sunny - except in the really hot says when Snavily, a snake whop returns from time to time likes to sun himself) - they might just get some kitty treats!

Anyway - if you do use ammonia - be sure to use copious amts of water with it so that you do not harm any animal!

Ford Girl
June 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Ammonia is the strong smell in pee, so if you dont mind your garbage bags getting peed on all night, go ahead. I would prefer to use a garbage can with a locking lid.

Our cans lock, PLUS they are in a wooden bin with a latch, still doesn't stop the cyotes at all. But I do agree it could be harmful to pets, and I wouldnt want to hurt anyones pets...so I probably won't do this...it would just be nice not to wake up every Friday morning to garbage everywhere - I mean 20 - 40 houses worth ripped apart and spread over the entire off leash area and ally, which could also be harmful to pets...what's the worse of 2 evils? A misting of windex or gawd knows what?

Yes, the city knows about it, yes, they set traps, no, it doesn't help. :mad: I'm not trying to debate the safeness of this or the logic of ammonia or argue with anyone, it's just frustrating...:sad:

Have a great day everyone!

mummummum
June 7th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Just my two cents...

The city's public garbage cans up the street get raided regularly and like you Fordgirl there is garbage strewn all over from here to kingdom come.

Just down the street, we leave our organics bin (our city collects pretty much anything that can be recylced or composted ) which includes vegetable & other food scraps, meat and bones as well as kitty litter and dog poop in bags, used tissues/ toilet paper/ women's "sanitary products" etc..

Our bin is a flip lid, no lock or latch and has never been bothered by the many animals in our ravine area. I put it down to the dog poop.

i_have_too_many
June 7th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Mumx3, I would stay away from a bin full of dog poop too :laughing: