Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 dog training?

2bigdogs
June 5th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Has anyone tried to train a second dog after their first dog? Our GSD Bucky came along after Kobe, our golden retriever/border collie was already trained. We find that dog #2 takes the lead from dog #1, listens, watches and follows
dog #1. This makes training a challenge..example:

I can walk both dogs at the same time and have no problem with pulling... both dogs walk on either side of me ( not sure if this is correct but it works for me)

BUT if my husband and I walk the dogs , taking one dog each..it's a nighmare.
Dog #2 will frantically look to dog #1- to see where he's going, what he's doing.

Getting dog #2 to walk nicely or sit is impossible because it appears he takes his direction from dog #1 instead of us.
any tips?

bendyfoot
June 5th, 2007, 03:20 PM
OMG, I'd love to hear tips for this too. Our puppy is a monkey-see-monkey-do kinda gal and follows Gracie EVERYWHERE! Gracie sniffs, Jaida sniffs identical spot. Gracie turns right, Jaida turns right. Graice turns left, Jaida turns left. Gracie rolls in something gross, Jaida rolls in same gross thing seconds later. To the point that Jaida gets peed on sometimes because she's so underfoot :rolleyes: . Manageable off-leash. On-leash with two people is a nightmare with both dogs because Jaida just pulls and tries to get as close to Gracie as possible and won't sit/stay/anything if Gracie has already been released.
What's with these GSD kids of ours, 2bigdogs???:laughing:

2bigdogs
June 5th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Hey Bendyfoot!
Thats EXACTLY whats happens with Kobe and Buck...and yes, Buck has been peed on too! Crazy dogs...
I just find it so challenging to train them...another example:

We take both dogs swimming down at the lake. Before we let then off leash we make them sit calmly , then we'll take the leashes off...WELL>>>>>god forbid Kobe has his leash off first before Buck! You've never heard such protesting...whinning, crying from dog...asking him to sit and wait paitently is a joke..

Where ever Kobe looks, Buck looks in the same direction...where ever Kobe sniffs, Buck sniffs...if kobe goes to investigate something..Buck follows!

Yesterday I was playing a smell game with one dog ( hiding a treat in one of my hands, then they have to quess which hand) try doing that with 2 dogs..!

PetFriendly
June 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I would suggest training the new dog without the existing dog being around. If it were me, I'd take the new dog to obedience classes, just because its a better rounded learning environment, so that he learns that its the humans he is to pay attention to, not the other dog.

You'll also need to teach them that if you call one dog's name, the other dog isn't necessarily being spoken to. This is fairly easy to do if you have clicker trained them as you'll be able to use their name, say a cue and click and treat the correct dog if they've preformed, and ignore the other dog. Alternate the number of cues you ask of each dog (they'll figure out if you do one cue each) and switch back and forth often.

~michelle~
June 5th, 2007, 06:42 PM
i would suggest doing training with each of the dogs induvidually and then together with both you and your hubby teach them appropriate behaviour at all times. it will settle after a while (i have three dogs and everytime a new one came around theres an adjustment period) just remain as consistant as possible

bendyfoot
June 6th, 2007, 10:03 AM
The older dog, Gracie, completed her basic obedience class in February. Jaida, the puppy will be enrolled hopefully this fall after she has recovered from her surgery (which is next week, :eek: !). We were thinking of doing advanced with both girls once Jaida passes the basic course.
I guess we haven't tried to train Jaida in isolation of Gracie really. She's usually nearby, and she's usually following all the commands we give Jaida...which is a pain when I put Gracie in a down/stay, try to work with Jaida and tell Jaida to come...Gracie often breaks the stay :mad: Trying to do any kind of formal obedience work with Gracie while Jaida's around? Forget it.
We haven't clicker trained...we've been using only verbal/touch praise as reward, with occasional treats for new commands with the puppy.
Perhaps we need to start with getting Jaida away from Gracie to minimize distractions...if she could master the down/stay, and then be able to do it with Gracie around, things would be much easier.

PetFriendly
June 6th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Part of Gracie's issue might be that she doesn't understand that anyone but her understands 'SIT' or that anyone but her is being released when you say OK... If you can, try to either tether Gracie or something to make it so that she can see and hear you, so she can learn that when you say Jaida, or you make eye contact with her, what ever, you mean Jaida, not Gracie (make sense?)