Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello and HELP!

sunflower99
June 5th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Hello,

I have never done anything like this before but it was such a helpful site to read that I thought I would join and see if anyone could help me. I am at my wit's end!

I have a 4 year old male neutered orange tabby named Dobby whom I adore. We have had him since he was 8 wks old and could fit in the palm of my hand. Now he weighs 20 lbs and I have to lift with my legs when I pick him up! Anyway, we moved to a new home a year ago. That's about when the trouble started. I started finding areas where he had sprayed. The smell was terrible! I took him to the vet to do the usual tests to find out if he had an infection, he didn't.

We live in a country setting and there is a feral cat that roams around. He sprays everything and picks fights if I let Dobby out. Now Dobby is spraying in every window, inadvertantly hitting the couch, he sprays the sliding glass door and carpet in front of it as well. The smell is getting unbearable. I think he is spraying when he sees the other cat outside. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if we catch the feral cat if that would stop Dobby's behavior issues, but I don't know how to go about catching a very mean feral cat. I love entertaining and having people over but now dread it because of the smell. I burn candles like crazy to mask the odor. I've also tried Nature's Miracle but haven't noticed a difference. I think Dobby just sprays on top of it. He has never done this before we moved to this new place and he still gets along just fine with his "sister" Hermy who is a 9 pound spayed Siamese.

Anyway, I had a bad morning of cleaning up the couch and window after another mishap and needed to talk to someone!

Please help!

Thank you,
Teresa

luckypenny
June 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Hello Teresa, and welcome to the board :) . Is Dobby neutered by any chance? If not, this would probably be the reason for his spraying. Male un-neutered cats will mark territory.

mummummum
June 5th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I have a 4 year old male neutered orange tabby named Dobby whom I adore.

Appears so Luckypenny :o

luckypenny
June 5th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Yeah, :o is right. I must have read too quickly; thanks for pointing that out to me :) . Would un-neutered cats mark territory as well?

papillonmama
June 5th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah, :o is right. I must have read too quickly; thanks for pointing that out to me :) . Would un-neutered cats mark territory as well?

much to many a cat owners dismay, yes. I use nok out, it's an odor neutralizer.

some female cats spray too.

mummummum
June 5th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Sunflower, you may want to ask the mods to move your thread to On Topic in order to reach a wider audience of our Cat People.

badger
June 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM
He's absolutely responding to the feral, marking and re-marking his territory. A temporary solution may be to feed the intruder regularly at some distance from the house (at the risk maybe of attracting others).
If you are up to trapping him, having him vet-checked and neutered and maybe even finding him a home (could be an ex-pet, not a true feral), that would be the most permanent solution. Most pounds and some of the bigger rescue groups will lend or rent you a humane trap. In fact, they might even help you to get it done and take the cat off your hands afterwards (although if it is a shelter, check that it doesn't euthanize freely).
Get some Rescue Remedy and put it in your cats' water bowl. It's a natural calmant and might help, but is not an instant fix.
I feel for you, constant spraying is a real drag. Neutering will blunt it somewhat, but if the cat is outside, without any zone of safety, marking is normal behaviour.

chico2
June 5th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Sunflower,I know exactly what you are talking about,my 11yr old neutered Rocky had been spraying since he was 5 yrs old,but only from seeing another cat outside.The cat outside is a threat and your kitty has to establish his territory.
Luckily I have woodfloors,hardly any carpeting,so I have been able to keep things from smelling,with natures Miracle.
Strangely enough,since Rocky had an incident with a dog I walk,3 weeks ago,he's stopped spraying,I hope it lasts:fingerscr

Blathach
June 8th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Dear sunflower99,

Thanks so much for joining our forum. You'll find in general that we are a friendly devoted bunch of pet lovers trying to help other pet lovers. Our forum does have a certain 'pulse' so please take a look here to check out the rules and guidelines. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/announcement.php?f=36&a=12)

Thanks for joining, please post some pictures of your pets if you can, and feel free to ask the members, moderators or admins for help if you need it.

Your friendly neighborhood Mod and Admin team.

sunflower99
June 11th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Thank you all for your support and advice about my cat's spraying problem. He is still spraying indoors (we've had him since he was 8 weeks old and he didn't start this behavior until he was 3 1/2 years old) and I am going to the vet today to have another talk.

Sounds like the feral cat outside is the problem and I am having a heck of a time getting rid of it. I will not let anyone kill the feral cat though many have offered to come over and "take care of it" for me. That's just too cruel. I just want someone who can trap the wild thing and take it to an agency who can then decide if the cat can be tamed or needs to be put down. I've asked a couple local county agencies and they all keep referring me to different people who then give me a different phone number to call. I was finally referred to the county trapper but when I called him he said a feral cat is considered domestic and he doesn't trap something domestic...

Wish me luck and again, I really appreciate all your advice and will take all I can get! When I get a chance I will post a picture of my Dobby and Hermy for all to see. (Dobby is my 20-lbs orange male tabby and Hermy is my 9-lb female Siamese.) They are quite a pair together. Dobby does a pretty good job at squashing his sister but she can give it back pretty well too. They are both about 4 years old now.

Thanks again and please keep in touch with your ideas.

rainbow
June 11th, 2007, 04:44 PM
First of all welcome to the forum and looking forward to pics of Dobby and Hermy. :cat: :cat: Is there any way you can get a humane trap from the SPCA and trap the feral yourself?

hazelrunpack
June 12th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Welcome, sunflower!

I, too, am looking forward to seeing pics of Dobby and Hermy (you wouldn't be a Harry Potter fan, by any chance, would you? :D)

Best of luck with the feral situation :fingerscr

happycats
June 13th, 2007, 06:11 AM
WELCOME !!

And I hope Dobby stops spraying soon! Sometimes medication works, my friend uses a mild sedative prescribed by her vet, as she couldn't get her cat to stop spraying (he was an 8 year old neutered male when he started:eek: )

lilmegshepherds
June 13th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Welcome to the forum