Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The pets of Italy and other things

Rick C
June 5th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Back from a little Italian holiday . . . . .

Some shots of some of the Golden's we saw plus a cat rescue organization amid some Roman ruins are at:

www.goldentales.ca/new.htm

And, if you're interested, some general Italian shots are at:

www.goldentales.ca/guestlog.htm

A little too swamped to post them here but feel free to avail yourselves of those links if you're interested. I'll be adding more to the general Italian stuff in the next few days as time permits.

Strangest thing we saw in Italy might have been the guy on a Vespa weaving his way through traffic with a live parrot on his shoulder.

Probably my favourite moments were getting up around 5:45 to 6:15 in the morning in Rome and hitting the streets for a run, past an empty St. Peter's Square, up Janiculum Hill to see the sun rising over the Colosseum then down into the narrow cobblestoned streets of Trastevere and then down to the Tiber at Ponte Sisto before running along the river for miles off the map, then returning and climbing out of the river at Castel Sant Angelo and heading back to the hotel.

It's a kind of Rome even the natives probably rarely see. . . . . . an empty Rome with little or no traffic, an occasional couple entwined on Janiculum Hill, a band of gypsies snoring underneath one of the bridges near Castel Sant Angelo as a matron rythemically and habitually sweeps the dust around them . . . . . stuff like that.

And runs along the Arno River in Florence and past the Duomo in Milan at the same time of day.

Great holiday!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

mummummum
June 5th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Sigh....I never tire of looking at your photographs (even the sad ones are poetic). Looks like it was a wonderful trip.

happycats
June 5th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Beautiful pic's (as usual:) ) looks like you had a great holiday, and the pic's you take almost makes me feel like I am there!!:D

Looks like there are many animal lovers there as well.:thumbs up

papillonmama
June 5th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Wow, those were great shots Rick.

Love the pics of the buildings.

Thanks for sharing them.

BusterBoo
June 5th, 2007, 10:25 AM
What amazing photos!!!!! Some real breathtaking views!!:goodvibes:

luckypenny
June 5th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Wow, Thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos Rick C. They brought back such lovely memories.

Lukka'sma
June 5th, 2007, 10:42 AM
That must have been a wonderful trip. I love the captions on the photos, helps to make us feel like we are seeing it for ourselves.
I especially enjoyed the pics of everyday locals doing their business. Some of them make me smile while others, such as the guy and the girl on skate boards begging for change aren't the type of photo to bring a smile to my face, but I find them fascinating non the less.
The night scene dinner picture I thought was exceptional. It makes you think that there could never be anything like a bad meal in a place like that.
I really liked the Florence thunderstorm picture and the Tuscan countryside.
But by far my favorite photo's were of the Duomo. The Gothic cathedral is truly beautiful, but for some reason sends shivers down my spine. Odd for a church to do that I suppose. Can't imagine what it must be like to wonder around inside of that place. I just wouldn't know which way to look, there is so much to see!!
I was about to ask if Carol ever uses the camera and then I saw a picture of you with one of the pooches so I guess my question has been answered.

badger
June 5th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Beautiful pictures, Rick. Except the one of the dying kitty in the little coat, it is heartbreaking. He could be a poster child for rescue.
I spent a week in Rome once and LOVED it. Very strong vibrations and I'm sure it wasn't (just) the wine :p

Rick C
June 5th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks.

Here's something interesting . . . . . I left my top notch Nikon D80 at home, preferring something less bulky.

I took a camera I've expected to flat out quit at any moment due to tens of thousands of images and rampant abuse, the lightweight but high-performance Panasonic DMC FZ20 and then a little Sony Cybershot to stick in my pocket.

Sure enough, on about day four in Rome, the Panasonic pooches out . . . . dead as a doornail from the heat and humidity. Long overdue but bad timing.

So . . . . . most of the photo's were actually taken with a small, pocket Sony Cybershot . . . . . it did really well but the long lense was really missed in Tuscany.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Hunter's_owner
June 5th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Wonderful shots Rick, shows that a lot of the times it isn't the camera it is the photographer:thumbs up . Glad you had a great trip.:)

Lukka'sma
June 5th, 2007, 11:12 AM
So . . . . . most of the photo's were actually taken with a small, pocket Sony Cybershot . . . . .
Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Well......I didn't need to hear that!!!!!!!! I try and try to get a good photo and my Panasonic DMC TZ3 was supposed to be the answer......but not the case. Drives me crazy looking at such fantastic photography from you Rick and the likes of me shoot crappy blurry pics that no one could recognize as being a dog without my captions saying so. http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/Coconutrhumb/bangwall.gif

Byrd
June 5th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Wow those are amazing!!!

My favourite would have to be the one with the sun shining through the windows at the Vatican. Very majestic.

heidiho
June 5th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Okay it take alot to make me get teary eyed from something on the internet,BUT that kitten picture the one that it said was tortured and what it said below it,about being hollow inside was to much,god i just cant describe the hatred for people that do that to animals,makes me positivley sick......Also what do you do for a living??You always have awesome pics..

Furbaby Momma
June 5th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Your Pictures are captivating as always, Rick C Thank You for sharing them.

jessi76
June 5th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I needed a little escape today... those pics did the trick! beautiful! thank you so much for sharing!

Smiley14
June 5th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Oh Rick, these are amazing!! I looked at both links and had to show some to my co-workers too. Just beautiful! Looks like a wonderful trip too!

Rick C
June 5th, 2007, 08:52 PM
......Also what do you do for a living??You always have awesome pics..

Thanks . . . . .

I look after money . . . . .

More pictures were added tonight throughout the link . . . . . enjoy.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

marko
June 6th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Wow Rick C - these shots are great! I love your candids and the way you wait for the decisive moment.

Great Job!:thumbs up

Rick C
June 6th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I was about to ask if Carol ever uses the camera and then I saw a picture of you with one of the pooches so I guess my question has been answered.

Actually, believe it or not, that one is a self-portrait. . . . . .

More Italy shots were added last night. Almost done now.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Spirit
June 6th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Wow. AMAZING trip report, Rick. :thumbs up

I may have missed it in the text, but (besides Rome) where else in Italy did you go? Beautiful.

Rick C
June 6th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Wow. AMAZING trip report, Rick. :thumbs up

I may have missed it in the text, but (besides Rome) where else in Italy did you go? Beautiful.

We were eight days in Rome . . . . . then the train to Florence where we stayed for a few days, then a car into Tuscany to a hilltop village called Radda In Chianti where we stayed in a manor house for a few days, then we drove to Milan and we were there for a few days.

Sixteen days in total I believe, including travel.

Researched and booked this one entirely via the internet. Very successful with the accomodation, flights, car and trains.

Only hitch . . . we apparently forgot our Florence/Milan train tickets at home but I'd already paid for the car for most of that day anyway so we just rolled with it and drove to Milan straight from Tuscany and frankly, that was probably far more interesting anyway.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

rainbow
June 7th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Beautiful pics as always, Rick. :cloud9: Thanks for sharing. :thumbs up