Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet Toothpastes.......a Warning....

RUSTYcat
June 4th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Pardon me if this has already been covered here but, not having seen it and, with little/no coverage in Canadian media (quelle surprise!), here it is

PET TOOTHPASTE MADE IN CHINA
A Chinese firm whose products were seized at the border also lists making dog toothpaste on a well-known trading site....
http://www.itchmo.com/read/accused-chinese-firm-also-makes-pet-toothpaste_20070602

Obviously, this is cautionary only, without any specific reports/complaints here in Canada. Obvious too, is the already proven danger in awaiting such reports....

For me, everything is suspect at this point, yes, guilty until proven innocent.

This stuff could be sold in "Dollar Stores", discount stores....maybe even in the "Green Grocer's" pet food aisles. And, what about the tube of gel inside your local Pet/ Pet Supply Store....? The package might say "Made in the USA", but what does that mean? The packaging? the brush? the gel??????????

In the absence of media coverage here, I think we have a responsibility to get the cautionary word out. My neighbours didn't know.

hazelrunpack
June 4th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I hadn't heard, either. Thanks for the link!

RUSTYcat
June 4th, 2007, 09:44 AM
'Just caught this on another board:
Chinese Toothpaste Scare Spreads to Canada
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/05/toothpaste03.html

The scary part is at the bottom of the article:
Colgate representative Tom Paolella, said regardless of the tube’s origin, all their products are safe.

Crest representatives have not returned two phone calls and two e-mails.

Dare say it's time to wake up....before we brush our teeth

LM1313
June 4th, 2007, 01:00 PM
OH MY GOSH!!! I'm going to check my toothpaste as soon as I get home. I don't remember the namebrand, but it was one of the more expensive brands (I think it cost $10 or $14) from the vet's office (the only place I could find poultry flavor) . . . Do you think it's okay?

rainbow
June 4th, 2007, 01:58 PM
The toothpaste is contaminated with diethylene glycol (antifreeze) which was mislabelled as glycerin.

I also found this from http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,277336,00.html

Brands of toothpaste from China that contain DEG are:

Cooldent Fluoride, Cooldent Spearmint, Cooldent ICE, Dr. Cool, Everfresh Toothpaste, Superdent Toothpaste, Clean Rite Toothpaste, Oralmax Extreme, Oral Bright Fresh Spearmint Flavor, Bright Max Peppermint Flavor and ShiR Fresh Mint Fluoride Paste.

Manufacturers of these toothpaste products are:

Goldcredit International Enterprises Limited, Goldcredit International Trading Company Limited and Suzhou City Jinmao Daily Chemicals Company Limited.

RUSTYcat
June 4th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I just realized that I did not include the link to the consumeraffairs.com article in my post #3........just added now. Sorry!

(now it may make more sense!)

chico2
June 4th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I read last week,about 50 people in Panama had died from the toothpaste:yell:
The problem is,some of the ingredients could come from China,but the manufacturer will still label it made in US,Canada etc...