Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Training Shows

gsdlove
June 3rd, 2007, 07:59 PM
Who watches End of My Leash or Cesar Milan on National Geographic? What about Sidney Corran? What do you think??

Byrd
June 3rd, 2007, 09:17 PM
Sidney Corran???:confused:

Do you mean Stanley Coren?

papillonmama
June 4th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I like stanley coren's, I watched it everyday when I was pregnant on bedrest, (not told to by the doctor, but I rested anyways,lol).

I just started watching the dog whisperer, and have only seen it a couple of times. So, I'm really not sure what I think of it yet.

I've also seen end of my leash, and it's okay, but I don't like the guy yelling at everyone, I know that tv shows are interested in people who show tough love, ie, doctor phil, american idol, the list goes on... I'm not really into reality shows, I like shows that are educational, and yeah, I know he's educating them, it's just not my style is all. I know they need some tough love because some of those people are just not listening, but, again, it's just what I like in a show. I did see what he was trying to teach as a good thing though.

Rambling, I'll stop now.

Hunter's_owner
June 4th, 2007, 08:45 AM
I like Stanley Coren as well. I haven't seen any of the others though.

Sometimes I don't like how easy Stanley Coren makes things look, but I do like his way of dealing with the problems...no shouting, etc.

SableCollie
June 4th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I really really dislike the Dog Whisperer. I watched the entire first season, then I decided I couldn't watch it anymore.

They don't air the Stanley Coren show where I am, I would like to see it to see if I like it, but no luck.

I haven't seen At the End of My Leash, I don't think that one airs here either.

JanM
June 4th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I don't get any of these TV shows but I've read a couple of Stanley Coren's books and they are very good. As for C.M. - hmm - I've always been told, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything - so I won't..

2bigdogs
June 5th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I really dislike the 'End of my Leash' guy...just my opinion. I agree that the people one the show proberly need a good dose of reality when it comes to their pets BUT...why all the yelling and degrading comments..to me its conterproductive. I also don't like some of his training ideas..

Stanley C. is alright. I do like his style , he's gentle and uses common sense. I think some of his training methods just look way to easy. All the dogs/owners on the show don't seem to have have real difficult problems..

When I first watched Cesear M. I really disliked him. After the first episode I thought- this guy doesn't know squat...what a crock..BUT after watching a few more episodes I done a switch. While his training methods appear to be way too easy to be effective , I did learn alot about 'the pack' and how dogs are....at the time I was having difficulty with my GSD and socialization. I used a few techniques from C.M and they really did help! He's not perfect but I have learned quite a bit.

SableCollie
June 5th, 2007, 01:11 PM
There was a show they used to rerun here, called "Barking Mad", it was a UK show from the late 90's I think. They worked with all sorts of animals, not just dogs. I think they were pretty positive in their methods, certainly not aversive like CM or monks of new skete (dislike their show also).

I heard rumors that the national geographic channel was going to produce another dog training show in the positive vein, since they've had so many complaints about CM from the behaviourist field, but I have yet to hear anything confirming that.

Hutch
June 6th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I watch Cesar Milan all the time. We get it on the National Geographic channel here in Ottawa. I realise his methods are not for everybody, however there's a certain primal logic about his approach. Dogs respond to the pack leader, all experts will agree to that, so if you as the owner can take that role on, you will have a dog that is much easier to deal with and train.