Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten to adult temperament? How much does it change?

wtigley
June 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm getting a ragdoll kitten (very exciting!), and my question is: how much do kittens tend to keep the same temperament into adulthood?

I've been looking at kittens that are about 8 weeks old. One that I'm eyeing is friendly, playful, affectionate, gentle, and tolerant of being handled. Another one that I'm thinking of getting is playful but not too interested in me holding or petting him (which is ok, but it's always nice to cuddle!). Is it common for qualities like these to change?

Thanks for your advice!

CyberKitten
June 3rd, 2007, 08:35 PM
While I realize some shelters adopt kittens when they are as early as 8 weeks old, I prefer to wait util the kitten is 12 wks (if that is possible - often when you rescue a kitten ,you take them in as babies and I have seen some well adjusted bottle babies as well as purebreds who have left their mama at 12 wks,. they need all that time to learn as much as they can from their mama.)

Like humans, kittens will become wonderful cats so long as they are treated well and you are a good mommy. Read as much as you can about bringing up a kitten and have lots of touts, help them to play and become well socialized, give them lots of loving and never yell at them or hit them!!! No personality is set in stone at 12 weeks or 8 for sure!! These are babies and you have to help them become the best kitten they can be and give them the ability to be confident, happy cats! It doesn't just happen!

Good luck and congrats on the new family member!

wtigley
June 3rd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the advice! And sorry, I should've clarified that I'll be taking the kitten home when he's 12 wks of age - I've just been visiting for now. :)

~michelle~
June 3rd, 2007, 08:56 PM
personality is part a part of who they are from day one, and part environment.
but you never know

My cat moe was super cuddley as a kitten and followed me everywhere and wanted to be everywhere i was now we have other cats for him to play with he is a little more independant of me but he still sleeps in my bed a few nights a week and runs to the door to greet me whenever i get home. and another kitten i have i have had since birth (a foster kitten) and she wouldnt let people near her at all when she was 8 weeks, she was better by 12 and now, shell never run up to me for pets but if i go to her she doesnt run away anymore...

Love4himies
June 4th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Glad to hear you won't be taking her home until 12 weeks :thumbs up , and you are doing the right thing by visiting until you can take the little sweetie home. This will make the transition from kitty mommy's home to human mommy's home much less stressful.

Kitty's personality will change as he/she matures, and Ragdolls have wonderful personalities. Lots of love and cuddles will ensure your cat will become a well adjusted adult.

Post some pictures of your new baby if you can, would love to see him/her.

happycats
June 4th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I think it's way to early to determine personality or temperment at this age.

I have had many cat's and not one acts the same as they did as kittens.
I have also seen the most wonderful affectionate, loving kitten (was 14 weeks) turn into the cat from hell 1 year after adoption!

I don't want to scare you, I just want to give you all the info you can get, to make an informed decision.

papillonmama
June 4th, 2007, 11:21 AM
They really can change quite a bit, mine are from the same litter, one used to be bullyish and adventurous, but calmed down, and now he's just a lay about. His brother used to be quiet and rambunctious, and now he's vocal and lazy. you never really know how they're going to turn out, all you can do is to treat them lovingly and it'l all work out.

CyberKitten
June 4th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Glad to hear you are taking hin home at 12 weeks! That's excellent and a great start!

Ragdolls - and I was tired when I responded before - have very laid back personalities. It is really hard to ascertain what your kitten's personality will be until he has been with you for awhile and like children, it is partly genetics but a whole lot environment. In other words, give him lots of love and attention and care - socialize him well with humans and other cats - and he will be just fine. I can't say that my kitten's personalities change that much as they get older. They may quiet down of course tho I have Siamese and Sphynx and they are both energetic breeds. The calming down part seems to be a long way off, lol

I had a very interesting experience with a Ragdoll the other day in a Pet store - not one that sells animals obviously!! I went in to get some stuff- they have a Pet stroller on sale for $249 but since I already have one and this one was blue, I passed, lol But there was what looked like a plush cat laying on one of the shelves. Naturally drawn to it for some reason, I petted it only to have this live cat look up at me and purr!!! So I began to talk to him - turns out he "belongs" to the owner, lol Ragdolls have that very mellow personality so they are great cats in that way.

Good luck - I am sure you'll do just fine! But I do find a kitten that you raise usually has the personality you want it to have - I mean, you teach the kitty to do things and you can baby him or spoil him. Most cats respond well to lots of attention and care!! (I know that sounds so obvious but there are people who think cats are low maintenance, amazingly!) They are NOT - they need lots of attention and love like anyone else!!!