Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grooming/Dry/Brushing

Untalented
June 3rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Okay so I have a six month old Shih Tzu now and she's great. I spoke with a trainer and they told me when I got her to start brushing her everyday. Begin doing this by giving her treats while I brush her so she gets to thinking that when I brush her it is a good thing.

The problem now is, I can brush her for as long as she chewing eating the treats I give her. However, after this she keeps biting the brush or biting me.

The other problem I'm having is the blow dryer. She goes kind of crazy when I dry her after a bath. I don't really think it is a terrible thing, but it'd be nice if I could get her to just chill out when I dry and brush her. Especially since I brush her everyday.

Any suggestions?

I'd also like to add that after the bath and it is very hard to brush her because she goes kind of crazy. Sometimes a bit aggressive with the brush.

t.pettet
June 3rd, 2007, 09:58 PM
I would recommend taking a step backwards by limiting your grooming time to a minute a session for the first few days, put her down on the floor and give a small treat and lots of verbal praise. Her attention span is limited at this age so slowly build up to a thorough 10 minute bushout. She will eventually start to look forward to these 1 on 1 times with you knowing theres a reward at the finish. Get your self a long toothed pin brush and be gentle as their skin is sensitive if too much pressure is applied. You can also use a molting comb as it will loosen any shedding hair. Get out every mat and tangle before the bath as applying water and shampoo will tighten them and make comb out really difficult and never brush a wet coat as it will split the hair. I would let her dry as naturally as possible with just a few minutes of blow-drying when she's barely damp. Again limit the blow-drying time in the beginning.