Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

a question about Orijen

Veravut
June 3rd, 2007, 10:22 AM
I started Joshie on Orijen Adult last month ( actually it's half Orijen and half Canidae).
He seems to like Orijen, but I noticed that his poop is very soft. Is it normal?

It's been over 6 weeks since I mixed Orijen with Canidae, I thought that by now he should use to it. We also tried Solid Gold Barking at the Moon back in March, but he didn't like it too much.

Lukka'sma
June 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
I switched Lukka to Orijen about three months ago and it is the only time in her life that she has had firm poop. I am so glad I found this food for her. Maybe your dog is reacting to the chicken? Has it had poop issues prior to the Orijen.

clm
June 3rd, 2007, 02:41 PM
We switched Baxter over to Orijen puppy very soon after we got him. No soft stools, nice and firm.

Cindy

Veravut
June 3rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
We had no problems with Wellness Chicken, no with Royal Canin (that was last year before I've done some reseach on dog's food).
He had the same issue ( soft poop) with Solid Gold Barking at the Moon, then I fed him for a couple weeks Canidae and everything was fine. I want him on grain free food, but it looks like it doesn't go well with his system. :sad:
It looks like Canidae is the best for him. Do you think I should try EVO?

phoenix
June 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
Canidae has been an excellent food for us. Do you have a reason to want to go grain free? My personal opinion is that what works for your dog, you stick with :thumbs up

Veravut
June 3rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Actually no other reason than it supposed to be more natural for dogs and does wonders. I also give him raw meat and bones twice a week from the grocery store. It's more like a treat. Maybe it will be enough protein for him. Raw meat and Canidae don't effect his stool.
I am just puzzled why he reacts like that to grain free foods. I thought it's the best for dogs.

geisha
June 3rd, 2007, 10:04 PM
My dogs will get loose stools when I introduce new proteins in their diets or if I feed too much. I am very cautious about this as they are both samoyeds with long white hair.
I was wondering if you might be feeding a tad too much as the grain free dog food is very nutrionally dense. No fillers or nasties. Therefore try feeding less and weigh your pup at least once a month or feel the ribs. If the loose stools continue it may be that the food is too rich for your dog. Some dogs tolerate rich diets better than others. Hot weather, sickness and stress also cause loose stools.

gypsy_girl
June 4th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Because alot of grain free foods have less fiber, as some only limited or no type of fiber(s) to absorb excess water from the intestinal tract, this may happen.
If you like the grain free foods, trying adding a bit of prebiotic in the form of chicory or inulin
Intollerance to a particular protein is always a possibilty though, however if your dog has been eating these proteins before I may or may not rule it out, as intollerances may develop over time.

Scott_B
June 4th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Sometimes just the fact your mixing them can cause the softer stool. I'd go with one or the other. Try the grain free for a few weeks by itself.