Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Streaming cameras of live births???

glitterless
June 2nd, 2007, 03:29 AM
Yes, it's true! I have FAR too much time to kill online at work, so I spend a lot of that time at www.marestare.com. The site hosts cams for different farms. Most cams are of horses, but the odd cam is for a donkey. There's this thingy, the Alert Monitor http://www.foalcam.com/gateway.html, which gives you a low alert when a mare (female horse) is close to foaling (giving birth), or a high alert when she is actually in labour and pushing.

This isn't really a news article, although it has been featured in the news. Please forgive me if I have the wrong board.

I'm a horse owner, so to me the site is fun and educational, but there are a lot of people on there watching these foalings who don't know much about horses at all. I've been lucky enough to see dozens of foalings this year. So if you're up late (mares usually foal during the night or early morning) and have some time, check it out. Tonight is rather busy. I've seen a donkey and a miniature horse foal in the last hour! The babies are adorable too :)

glitterless
June 3rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
Mini mare foaling now:

http://www.marestare.com/tinytrotter.php

mummummum
June 13th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Excellent links Glitterless ! Maybe we could refer all those people breed they're cats and dogs for the sokle purpose of wanting their children to experience "the miracle of birth" to these sites. Might curb they're curiouslty sufficient enough to spay/neuter their animals. :shrug:

marine's girlie
June 29th, 2007, 02:24 PM
i tried to view the babies, but it seems i've missed all the action :(
my streams don't load, perhaps its because of the firewall. i'll have to try it again this weekend and play with it a bit.
but thanks for the links.

Cathy1
June 29th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Try this one http://www.marestare.com/bolen.php
They say she is going to deliver anytime.

Byrd
March 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
It's that time of year again, the alerts are coming in!

Hogansma
March 4th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Maybe I'm off the mark here but isn't the method they use, cruel to the mare? I read on the site that they sew (yes, sew) magnets to the mares privates and this is how the camera is activated. Actually, I don't think I'm off the mark at all and I will not be watching this.

Rottielover
March 5th, 2008, 07:03 AM
No with these cams they are on all the time. You just alert the owner when the mare starts labor, I watched one last year, really neat to watch.
I was on for a week, hours at a time

Hogansma
March 5th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I actually emailed them last night to see if what I read was true. The company is Foalert. They do sew magnets to the mares vulva and when the pushing starts, the magnets separate and alerts the camera. Here is the response I got:

It would be cruel to allow a mare an unattended foaling in which problems arise as this could cause the death of mother, baby or both. As a local anesthetic is used prior to suturing, the attachment is painless to the mare.

Hmmmm, what happened to monitoring the mare the good old fashioned way with someone being vigilant. Seems more humane to me. Maybe we can do this to pregnant women too and then with technology, the doctor and all relatives can be paged. (That was sarcasm.) I still think it's just plain cruel! Sometimes technology goes too far and common sense should kick in.

Byrd
March 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM
From what I've seen it's a streaming video from a webcam in the stall, the alerts come in if someone sees a mare in labour. :shrug: