Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

all they do is SIT

gingernutmeg
June 1st, 2007, 10:38 PM
Nutmeg and Ginger (shih tzu/poodle mix)
13 weeks old, almost fully paper trained, strangely, they pee on the floor when they have play dates. I have been teaching them to SIT with tiny cubes of cheese as the reward, and now all they do is sit.As soon as I walk to their porch area, they sit. When they come inside at night, they sit beside their crate.

luckypenny
June 1st, 2007, 11:45 PM
:laughing: They're waiting for more cheese? Actually, I think it's quite polite for them to sit. It took me a while to teach my dogs to sit in order to "ask politely" though they were almost adults.

As for peeing on the floor when they have play dates, it's probably because they're too excited to remember the paper. They're still very young to be able to control their bladder at all times. I wouldn't worry about it at this stage. Enjoy your puppies! Have you posted photos yet?

luckypenny
June 1st, 2007, 11:46 PM
Oops, just found them :) .

SableCollie
June 2nd, 2007, 11:55 AM
Actually having sit as a "default behaviour" is a very good thing. That means whenever they are unsure of what to do, or whenever they want something, they will sit. People spend lots of time trying to teach "sit as default", so if I were you, I would just enjoy it! They sound like very well behaved puppies.

The peeing on the floor when they have playdates is probably just excitement. Just try to make sure they "go" right before the playdate, and take a few breaks during for "potty breaks".

gingernutmeg
June 2nd, 2007, 07:41 PM
Thank you.
I thought it was good, but wondered if I had done something wrong, since they are usually so active and playful.
They took out a toy from the basket while I was away, so it seems okay.
Thanks again to you and Luckypenny for your kind thoughts.