Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Loveable but bites!

Tigger03
April 28th, 2004, 12:11 PM
My cat is almost 10 months old and he has a bad habit of waking up about 4:30 every morning and biting whatever loose skin on me that he can find, whether it be my arms, legs, stomach, anything! And the funny thing is that he doesn't do it to my boyfriend.....just me. I thought it was because he's used to me feeding him, so I decided to start getting up and feeding him, but that doesn't work....if he does eat, he comes right back in and starts again. And then when I get totally fed up with it and do get up and stay up, he decides that he wants to go back to sleep then. Can someone please tell me what's wrong with him. It's not because he's unhappy, because the whole time he's biting me.....he's also PURRING!!

:rolleyes: Please help me!!

Lucky Rescue
April 28th, 2004, 12:26 PM
He's just a young cat with lots of energy! Around 4:00 a.m. is when he is at his most energetic.

Each time you get up and feed him when he bites you, you are teaching him to do this. In his mind, he sees: "I bite her, and she feeds me!"

You might want to try playing with him a lot just before bedtime, and feeding him then too. If he still comes and does this, just pick him up without saying a word and deposit him in the bathroom (or whichever room his litterbox is in) until you get up. He will learn that waking and biting you gets him nowhere.

Is he neutered? If so, you might even want to consider getting him a playmate that he can burn up some of his excess energy with!