Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

can someone please recommend food??

SPEEDYGO
May 30th, 2007, 04:32 PM
helo all am looking to switching the food for my 2 huskies they are on the innova.the reason am doing it because they are not eating and i dont want to be spending about $75.00 every 3 weeks on food they not eating.i have try to give it to them with tuna/peanut butter /chicken / beef /pork chop and all they do is eat the meat and they don`t eat their food.so any help would b great or a brand that is good for them thank you for any responds

Stacer
May 30th, 2007, 04:58 PM
If you go to a pet supply store you can buy small samples of various foods, you could try doing that to see which one they like best. There's always the home cooking option or the raw option as well, if you have the time and inclination. But the easiest thing to do would be to switch foods until you find a food that they like. Keep in mind that it can be a long process because you have to make the switch over several weeks by reducing the amount of the old food while mixing in the new food. You don't want to upset their digestive systems. Good luck.

erykah1310
May 30th, 2007, 05:03 PM
They sound like perfect canidates for raw or Barf.
If you search around in the petfood forums there are MANY good threads on foods.

coppperbelle
May 30th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I think your dogs have figured out if they don't eat their food you will add things to it that are tastier. They have you well trained.
It is up to you but even with a food switch they will eventually get tired of it and you will be adding things again.
I would offer them their food only and put it down for 15 minutes. If they don't eat it pick it up and put it away until their next feeding time. Do the same thing again, 15 minutes and then pick it up. Continue doing this until they eat. It may take a few days but they should eventually eat. Make sure you don't give them any treats or snacks in between. They have to be hungry.
Evo is a great food although I don't know how tasty it is. My dogs will eat anything and currently they are eating Canidae and enjoying it. I do add meat, sardines etc.. to their kibble but not with every feeding.

Good luck

SuperWanda
May 31st, 2007, 11:10 AM
How about Orijen? - it is grain free but I think it cost less than Innova. I have two husky cross's and they love it. There is also a fish formula coming out in June if your two like fish! I also feed less than what is recommended because it is a very dense food!

This is the website if you want to take a look. They also have a store locator.

www.championpetfoods.com

Good luck with finding something - it can be hard if they are picky eaters!

debkeversole
May 31st, 2007, 11:55 AM
i think flint river ranch sells samples too google it and see
i think they might like that raw diet mentioned

geisha
May 31st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Northern Dogs can have small appetites. My male sam used to watch the magpies eat his kibble. When the weather is warm my dogs tend to have smaller appetites. How active are your pups? Have you added warm water to the Innova to bring out the flavor a bit? (I'm sure you've tried lots of different things) Your dogs sound like they enjoy fish I second the idea of Orijen fish, Acana Salmon & Potato. Go! Salmon & Oatmeal, California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato or Eagle Pack Holistic Anchovy, Sardine& etc, or any other fish based kib. Good Luck!!!

Buy samples??? Our local pharmacy/animal feed store has a huge bin of samples that you can help yourself to... I've found some Solid Gold Wolf King, Millenium, Hundenflocken, & Barking etc. Last week I found Timberwolf Organic samples in there. I have seen free samples of Eagle Pack Holistic Fish too. There are even free Innova samples. Just ask your local small pet store to ask the rep next time they come in!!! Or, email the company!! I'm sure they'll oblige.

SPEEDYGO
June 1st, 2007, 04:46 PM
thx alot for all the anwerds i will do the 15 mins and take it away+ i will be adding warm water never thought of that once again thx.if that don`t work will try a fish kib

rainbow
June 1st, 2007, 04:59 PM
I agree with Coppperbelle. I have a husky that thankfully is not picky but my previous one was. Never give into them as they will always "hold out".

My husky now loves Innova and it is a good food. I wanted to switch to grain free so I started adding Go Natural Grain Free (www.petcurean.com) to it. He liked that as well. I just started adding Orijen (www.championpetfoods.com) when I ran out of Go Natural Grain Free as I like the ingredients in it better.

Whatever you decide to feed, as long as it's a premium/holistic brand, just "stick with it" until your huskies accept it. Good luck. :)

SPEEDYGO
June 1st, 2007, 10:50 PM
yes i will try Orijen see how they like it my innova is almost done.going there tomorrow do u know how much they go for??like i said i pay $75.00 :ca: for the innova

SuperWanda
June 6th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I was paying $58 and it went up to $60. I've found a place here that sells it for $55 so it pays to shop around. That is for the largest 29.7lb bag.

rainbow
June 7th, 2007, 02:28 AM
My last bag of Innova cost $56.99 for the large bag plus tax and the Orijen was $49.95 for the 13.5 kg (29.7 lb.) bag.

RUSTYcat
June 7th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Here is some very detailed analysis info for many popular foods
http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html

This is an excellent info site to educate yourself about cat nutrition
http://www.catinfo.org/index.htm

For info on "kidney issue cats" go here
http://felinecrf.org/

RUSTYcat
June 8th, 2007, 09:53 AM
hERE IS ANOTHER LINK to wet foods analysis...just found it this AM
It has a "recent" date...you can look to see which of the links are more up-to-date

http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canned.htm

Goldens4Ever
June 8th, 2007, 11:48 PM
I think your dogs have figured out if they don't eat their food you will add things to it that are tastier. They have you well trained.
It is up to you but even with a food switch they will eventually get tired of it and you will be adding things again.
I would offer them their food only and put it down for 15 minutes. If they don't eat it pick it up and put it away until their next feeding time. Do the same thing again, 15 minutes and then pick it up. Continue doing this until they eat. It may take a few days but they should eventually eat. Make sure you don't give them any treats or snacks in between. They have to be hungry.....

That is a fantastic idea!!!!! :thumbs up :thumbs up

marine's girlie
June 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM
if the suggestion to get them re-trained doesn't work, you can also use the http://www.dogfoodproject.com/ to find a new food.
they have compiled information on nutirtion and the recall to give people unbiased information on safe and nutritional foods.

Lukka'sma
June 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Lukka was on Innova at one point, I switched her to Orijen and she is doing really well on it.

SnowDancer
June 14th, 2007, 04:03 PM
My America Eskimo eats and does very well on Fromms Salmon A La Veg (also comes in a Duck, Chicken and Whtiefish formula). How I wish as a Northern Breed that his appetite was "picky" - anything but - next in line to a little piggy as my Dachshunds were. My friend's Husky also eats the Fromms and does well on it also. Good news also is that it was not on the recall list.

rainbow
June 15th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Speedygo, how are Sasha and Nikko doing? :fingerscr