Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog-licking??

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 09:54 AM
i have a dog..who keeps on licking his paw..like its hurt or got a scratch...but when ever i look at it..tehres nothing there..so ijust shave his paw so i can see better but i cant see anthing..does anyone have an idea as of why he keeps on dooing that//cuzi know he doesnt do it cuz hes bored..because he has lots f toys to play with.

Hunter's_owner
May 30th, 2007, 09:56 AM
What do you feed him? It may be a food allergy...
Have you brought him to a vet?

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 09:57 AM
ya..i feed him iams..same stuff i have been ever since he was a puppy and now he is 2...and i have been to the vet..and hes puzzled

Hunter's_owner
May 30th, 2007, 10:30 AM
A food allergy can develop over time. Also IAMS is not the greatest food there is, in my opinion. You may want to take a look around the food forum, for some suggestions of a higher quality food.

Corn is often a source of allergies, and some foods are grain-free therefore eliminating some of the possible allergens. Also, you may want to consider switching to a different meat source, like lamb instead of chicken, to see if that may be causing the itching.

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 10:31 AM
we do feed him the lamb kind of iams..and we have tried switching food before lots of times..but when wever we do he throws up

Hunter's_owner
May 30th, 2007, 10:37 AM
have you switched very slowly?

Maybe instead of lamb then you may want to try a different form of protein then. Although, maybe just grain free might do it :shrug:

BusterBoo
May 30th, 2007, 10:37 AM
It could also be a seasonal allergy (grass etc). Most Vets will do allergy tests if you request them.

Good luck!

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 10:40 AM
yes i have been switching slowly..but it doesnt work..so i boughta new kind but i dontknow if i should use it..its called iams(still iams)mini chunks

papillonmama
May 30th, 2007, 10:40 AM
when switching foods, take it slowly, consider switching to a high quality lamb formula, maybe your dog has an allergy to chicken, which can be an ingredient in a lot of formulas, when I had to switch my dog, I went through formula after formula, only excluding one ingredient at a time.

So what I'm suggesting is, going from iams lamb and rice, to a different lamb and rice, (see the food forum for suggested brands), if that doesn't help, try switching the meat from lamb and rice, to something like venison, or fish. It can take a long time to find one that works for your dog.

it took me forever to find one that my dog liked and didn't make her itchy.

good luck

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 10:54 AM
the one that my dgo ahs now..is lamb and rice..so i bought a new one..and have been switching slowly its been about liek 3 weeks of switching

papillonmama
May 30th, 2007, 12:25 PM
try something other than iams. the problem with some of the major dog food brands is that many of their foods have the same ingredients in it, just in a different order. it would be like you being allergic to bleach and instead of not using it to wash your clothes, just switching brands and you continue to have the allergic reaction.

if you go to a pet supply store, NOT a pet store, you can find top quality brands, IMO dog food that you can buy at a grocery store or super store, will not help any kind of food allergy that a dog has.

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 12:29 PM
but thats the thing..i have tried switching food to a better quality but everytime i do(switching slowly) he throws up..can it be something other then allergies?

papillonmama
May 30th, 2007, 12:35 PM
which ones have you tried?

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 12:50 PM
some purina ones..kibble and bits..diffkinds of iams..and this other one i forget

Hunter's_owner
May 30th, 2007, 12:54 PM
IMO, those foods are not higher quality foods.
Like papillonmama said, food you buy in a grocery store will probably not help.
Try things like Canidae, Orijen, etc. There are many different kinds discussed in the food forum.

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 12:57 PM
i have already tried some higher quality foods..but he still throws up

papillonmama
May 30th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Oh k, I give up.

Hunter's_owner
May 30th, 2007, 01:20 PM
i have already tried some higher quality foods..but he still throws up

But the "higher quality" foods you mentioned are not really higher quality foods, imo. That is the whole point!

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 01:43 PM
but arnt higher quality foods more expensive..i find iams just fine..he seems fine now..i think it might have been a bug bite or something

Hunter's_owner
May 30th, 2007, 01:45 PM
In comparison to the amount you have to feed, the price evens out.

If I fed my dog IAMS, I would have to give him 6 or 7 cups a day. Instead, with the food I feed, he only gets 2.5 cups a day.

This also works for my beagle. She gets 3/4 of a cup a day of her food, but if it was IAMS it would be like 3 cups a day.

Also, the condition of the dog greatly improves when the quality of the food improves.

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 01:53 PM
i give my dog 2 cups a day one for brekfeasta ndone for supper

Hunter's_owner
May 30th, 2007, 01:53 PM
How big is your dog?

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 02:01 PM
i dont really knowhow big he acually is..but i do know that he weighs21 pounds

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 02:01 PM
but then again..the cup i use is very tiny..is a small childrens cup
but in acually real cups i feel him..

Hunter's_owner
May 30th, 2007, 02:02 PM
When I say cups I mean 250 grams, the standard measurement, not the tool I use to scoop in with.

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 02:03 PM
one cup a day(half in morning and half at night)

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 02:03 PM
my dog is a shorkie

Hunter's_owner
May 30th, 2007, 02:04 PM
and what kind of dog?

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 02:04 PM
but whats a higher quality food..then iams that will be fine for a sensitive stomacha nd that isnt too expensive?

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM
and what kind of dog?

my dog is a shorkie(yorkie/shihtzu)

Hunter's_owner
May 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM
What is a schnorkie??? Schnauzer yorkie???

Anyways, I really do think you should reconsider the food, but if you don't want to listen, than that is up to yourself. I don't need to tell you anymore about checking out better quality foods, you have been told enough...now the ball is in your court.;)

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 02:09 PM
schnorkie???ya shnouzer and yorkie..but where did you get that idea from....................okay well thanks for the help for the food..just one question..and this i do not know..is ekuneba better then iams?

happycats
May 30th, 2007, 02:10 PM
What is a schnorkie??? Schnauzer yorkie???

Isn't that an overpriced mutt??!!:shrug:

breeze
May 30th, 2007, 02:10 PM
schnorkie???ya shnouzer and yorkie..but where did you get that idea from....................okay well thanks for the help for the food..just one question..and this i do not know..is ekuneba better then iams?

IMO no it's not

Hunter's_owner
May 30th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Isn't that an overpriced mutt??!!:shrug:

That is exactly it:thumbs up

Hunter's_owner
May 30th, 2007, 02:12 PM

Imo, no it isn't. I gave you some ideas, Canidae, Orijen, TO, etc. there are a lot of good suggestions in the food forum.

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 02:14 PM
okay..schnorkie....:S:S hunter'sowner-where did u get this cross breed from..i said my dog was a shorkie(cross breed from a shih tzu/yorkie)

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 02:16 PM
anyways..im not peplying on this thread naymore..thanks for the help..im am going ot look into thos foods you said about..thanks:thumbs up

happycats
May 30th, 2007, 02:17 PM
okay..schnorkie....:S:S hunter'sowner-where did u get this cross breed from..i said my dog was a shorkie(cross breed from a shih tzu/yorkie)

I thought those were called shihzyorks??:shrug:

Hunter's_owner
May 30th, 2007, 02:21 PM
It was just a guess buslov, because they are all made up names anyways, not a breed. Doesn't matter to me, it was a question about the size of the dog.

If it is shih tzu yourkie mutt, then isn't 21 pounds a little large:shrug:

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 02:23 PM
i know..he over grew...big time..he was only sapose to like not even 7 pounds..but the mom was really big..so he took after his mom

Hunter's_owner
May 30th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Oh okay. Right;)

Shaykeija
May 30th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I am thinking this is a troll situation. This persons last thread was just close.

bosluv001
May 30th, 2007, 02:32 PM
troll siuation..i wanted it to be closed..i didnt want to agrue on my thread..so it got closed..but meh. w.e i want this one closed to..and all my other ones..i found my dog..that im getting..got my questions answered..and much moreand cant wait till i get my puppy(morkie) os thanks everyone:thumbs up

breeze
May 30th, 2007, 02:32 PM
this thread is just going round and round and is not going anywhere :frustrated:

Carnac
May 30th, 2007, 02:36 PM
This thread has run its course and will now be closed.