Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do it Yourself Rally-O

PetFriendly
May 30th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Hi all

Just wondering if I could learn from your mistakes in regards to training myself and Charley in Rally-O. I have a couple of web-sites and am getting a book for my birthday, but was wondering if anyone wanted to share their list of most commonly made mistakes? You know, lkike not getting a solid contact from you dog before sending it up an A-Frame in agility, or using the command down before the dog knows the posture in obedience...

mafiaprincess
May 30th, 2007, 09:56 PM
The only thing to really learn is how to interpret the instructions for the signs. So that without a class, you are learning to do what it is asking not what you think it is asking.

Remember in a trial if you get there not to start the course till the judge asks if you are ready. And make sure you look at the arrows on the sign especially for anything circular.

Working inside is nice, but make sure you work up to more distracting environments if you ever want to take it a step further and compete. While the venues we've been to were not that distracting, the floor has had food dropped on it before, there is a crowd of people watching, the judge will follow you around to a point. Things your dog may or may not be okay with, without practice in similar environments.

In Alberta rally practice nights are more common than here. They set up a course once a week and you pay to drop in and practice with dogs people, etc around to help you get used to the atmosphere. Now and then there are rally fun matches you might want to try out though.

PetFriendly
May 31st, 2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the tips.

As far as distraction goes, I think we should be ok. This was going to be my new summer activity in the park (the dog doesn't like walking for any long distance in the heat) and I figured that the mental stimulation, combined with the movement would tucker him out (plus I like showing off his skills to all the neighbours!).

Also though because we've done a few levels of obedience and are also in agility I figured that would take care of the 'performing under pressure' aspect.

And hey, if this doesn't work, we can always take classes in the fall!