Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help please

SPEEDYGO
May 29th, 2007, 09:12 PM
hi everyone i have two questions

1.what food could i give my dogs i have them on Innova the reason am thinking of changing is the dogs won`t eat the food anymore.am paying for the bag about $75.00 and for them not to eat it.

2.when we take dogs for walk now they started to whine alot to the point that it seems that we killing them :yell: .what should i do or can do to stop that and they pull so much and hard so for me its very hard to walk them cause of my back thats why my gf walks them.same time i would love to help out more often any suggestion will b great thx alot for any answerds

SableCollie
May 29th, 2007, 09:40 PM
1.what food could i give my dogs i have them on Innova
You could try getting little sample bags of other high-quality foods from your local pet food store and see which one your dogs like. You can check out the food forum here for suggestions on other good foods.

they pull so much and hard
Find a good trainer who uses positive techniques to teach the dogs to walk on a loose leash. Since you have trouble because of your back, you could look into head halters (Gentle leader, halti, newtrix) or no-pull harnesses (Premier Gentle leader harness, Sense-ation/sense-ible harness) which make it much easier to control the dogs and help prevent pulling.

SPEEDYGO
June 1st, 2007, 09:46 PM
thx on the info i will try to look for a trainer

Cram
June 2nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
It looks from your avatar that you have a couple of huskies. We have a miniature husky (an Alaskan Klee Kai) that is a very picky eater. Currently we are feeding 1/2 kibble and 1/2 raw food to him. He also didn't like Innova (puppy) that much. We did a taste test with him and he seems to love fish-based foods (and I think this is pretty common for husky-type breeds).

Our current kibble is Orijen- which is chicken, turkey and whitefish. It's made in Alberta and it's grain-free and very good quality stuff at an excellent price- a bit cheaper than Innova depending on where you get it. Helix loves it! They are also coming out with a 6 fish variety. Our plan with Helix, to keep him interested and avoid allergies, is a rotation diet. We plan to rotate foods every bag (which will work out to about every month or so). Our choices so far are Orijen (chicken & turkey), Orijen 6 fish, and Innova EVO RM (red meats only).

For raw, which I know isn't for everyone, we're going slow and he eventually might make it to complete raw, but right now he just gets a raw evening meal. It usually consists of bone-in chicken thighs, turkey necks, beef ribs or round steak, canned fish (like salmon or sardines- no salt), fresh whole fish like mackerel, and a variety of organs including chicken or beef liver, kidney, hearts and green tripe. We also prefer to give him a few veggies- generally consisting of a blended mash of various fruits and veggies from the fridge like carrots, celery, spinach, apples, etc. He also gets the occasional raw pork bone to chew on- marrow, tendon and meat attached. Raw diets do require and bit of work and research to make sure you're doing it correctly though and can be a bit scary at first.

I have no advice for the pulling except to get the advice of a trainer. They can help find the right training tool for you to use and teach you to use it effectively without hurting your dog. The cost will definitely be worth it in the end! Good luck!

SPEEDYGO
June 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
thx alot for answerd guys:grouphug:

chico2
June 3rd, 2007, 03:48 PM
By the way,your dogs are really beautiful,could you show us some more pics:thumbs up

SPEEDYGO
June 4th, 2007, 03:48 PM
will do i will post them in the picture forum give me two days i will put as many as i can