Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hilarious litter box moment - Also need advice!

spiffywiffy
May 29th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Hi:

My cat, Oliver, is just getting over a UTI. He's in the middle of his 7 day regimen of antibiotic and antispasmodic meds.

I noticed that the meds seem to be working tonight after the now thoroughly comedic routine of me attempting to give him his pills...

I got 1 of 2 into him, and he went off to use the litter box. Since he's had this UTI, he has been using the litter box with his bum sticking out of the opening when urinating (or trying to). Not sure why - my guess is something to do with the pain he was feeling before when he couldn't go easily. That's how I noticed that there was blood in his urine as there were little red drops on the litter liner. Helpful sign!

So, tonight, when he went to use the litter, it was Niagara Falls -- all over the floor!! :) Hilarious. Easy enough to clean up and nice to know he is getting better.

My concern however, is that this continues and I am forever cleaning urine from my floor! He has always used the litter with his head sticking out of the opening in the past. Any ideas or advice?

Thanks.

TeriM
May 29th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Hmmm, sounds like you need a bigger litter box. You could also try putting the box into the bath tub for a bit until he gets back to normal.

Sometimes they associate the litter box with the pain from the UTI. You could also maybe try to switch the type of litter or at least start with a totally fresh batch (including washing out the box).

Good luck and I'm glad he is feeling better.

Winston
May 29th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I have a male that does this too! I think it was because he hated the lid being on the little box! So I resorted to buying a litter pan and then putting it inside a large cardboard box where the sides are larger than the pan but there is no top on it! It worked for me...most recently I found a larger plastic tub that the litter box fit in and am using that...this way I dont have to change the outer box as frequently as I did with cardboard!

Good Luck

Cindy