Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to train your dog to stay off the couch, bed, etc.???

echo1002
May 29th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I have two dogs, one is about a year and a half, and the other one is about seven.

They have both always been able to jump up and hang out with us on the couch, bed, etc. However, they have ended up ruining the covers on the couch and the comforter on the bed. I have ordered new couch covers for our couch and loveseat, and we will probably order a new bed set.

However, how on earth do I train two dogs, who have always been able to hang out wherever they want, to stay off the couch and bed? I know it takes a lot of training, but I was just wondering if there were any helpful suggestions.

Also, my year and a half old dog came from an abusive home and is spayed. I believe that she is "leaking" urine when she is laying down. Is that possible? Has anyone had a female who has "leaked" after she has been spayed, or could it have something to do with the previous abusive home?

Any thoughts or suggestions are certainly welcome! Thanks!!!

bosluv001
May 29th, 2007, 04:01 PM
i would suggest going to a training or obidience class..if that doesnt work i do not know

bendyfoot
May 29th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Some people may not like this idea, but here goes anyways:

I was having trouble keeping my cats off the counters at night (impossible to monitor/correct behaviour when you're on a different floor in the house and in bed, asleep). I found a product at PetSmart called the Scat Mat. It's a long plastic mat that takes one battery. When contact is made, the offender gets a zap. Now, of course, before I subjected any furry beings to the mat, I tried it on myself. On low, it's nothing more than the static shock you would get rubbing your socks on the carpet. On high, it's more intense, but it's startling, not painful. This can be laid across the couch/bed whatever you want to keep you pet off of. It worked for us. It is expensive, however (around $130). Just a suggestion.

bendyfoot
May 29th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Oh, and about the leaky dog...in rare cases, after a spay, changes in hormone levels can result in some incontinence (leaking). I'd discuss it with your vet, it can be managed easily once diagnosed.

CyberKitten
May 29th, 2007, 04:14 PM
There are problems with the zapper (for want of a better route) tho - it can hurt your cat or other furbaby. I would not go that route! Any time you give anyone jolts of electricity, it is not good - and it is especially not good for the heart - and the smaller the animal, the worse the effect. I honestly do not know why they are allowed to sell these things!! There are so many other effective ways to teach an animal things without using a product that is being questioned by vets and others.

m8r5k
May 29th, 2007, 04:32 PM
There is another mat you can buy that you lay across the furniture. When the animal sits on it it creates a high pitched sound. I haven't tried it though. You can get medication for incontinence. Although you can buy it over the counter it is best to get it diagnosed first in case there is underlying reason for he problem. They also have doggy diapers.
My lab got urinary incontinence after she was spayed. It is caused by the lack of a hormone the female parts provided. Usually hormone therapy is the best route to go. It will be worse when she is excited or stressed. It will do no good to punish or scold her because she is unaware that it is happening.

Toonces
May 29th, 2007, 04:34 PM
When we got a new couch we put a strip of tinfoil on it and neither one of our dogs will go on it now we also have a female that has spay incontinence, she takes one stilbesterol perscibed by her vet every 5 days and there is no more leaking, I would ask your vet about checking her for that.

bendyfoot
May 29th, 2007, 05:10 PM
In fairness to the Scat Mat, the amount of energy generated by a single battery is in no way going to be harmful to an adult dog (or cat for that matter). I have 5 pets at home, 2 dogs and 3 cats, and am the hugest worry-wort overprotective idiot in the universe. I would never use a product if I felt it put my babies in danger or would harm them.
The mat is startling, not painful.