Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First ride of the year!

Schwinn
May 29th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I had my first ride on Saturday...not as good as I hoped, my better than I expected...I was able to sit by Monday!:D

I did my first patrol at Hardwood Mountain Bike resort, and had my first "major" of the year...dislocated arm. The worst part of it? Racing through the woods and trying to climb the hill as fast as I could, then having this poor guy look at me with my patroller's plate, gasping for air, and wondering if the other patroller's will need to bring oxygen. Ah, gotta love the first ride of the year!

Any other riders? If anyone wants to do a Pets.ca ride at Hardwood, I'd be glad to organize it, beginner's more than welcome. I might be able to pull some strings to get everyone a deal. Or even a ride anywhere, I'm always up for travelling to ride!

Kristin7
May 29th, 2007, 01:52 PM
OMG! Hope you are ok... ouch!

I love to ride but haven't in about 5 years as I moved from a great place to ride to a place where I haven't been able to find good trails nearby. :sad: Apparently there is a park in town w/ about 7 miles of trail but otherwise I have to drive a ways to get somewhere with some good trails. I have a feeling the 7 miles would get old rather quickly... I'm sure I live too far away to join anyone but otherwise would be up for it. Hope you got the worst of the season over with already!

Schwinn
May 29th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Woops! Silly me! It wasn't my arm that was dislocated, it was another rider's. I was the one gasping and wheezing for breath after racing to the scene.

I moved from a place with a tonne of trails as well, to a place with only a few miles. It would be nice to have more, but the nice thing is that as I get to know the new trails, I can ride them that much faster because I know them so well. You're right, when you don't have a lot of trails available to you, it can get old, but it does become a new kind of fun when you know them so well you can do it with your eyes closed (though I wouldn't recommend it, unless you're Yoda)

CyberKitten
May 29th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I just bought a new bike - which is not to suggest I rode much on the old one so am relearning the art of biking if you will. It IS true that they say tho - it all comes back to you, lol I doubt I'll ever be in a marathon but I love the biking as a way to exercise! I gave my old one -which was ancient - to a neighbour. There was a time I used to bike to class in Hfx and Boston but with the traffic now, I stick to small streets I know and biking trails. I get out of breath quite fast though but I am hoping to build up my strength!

I am glad you enjoyed your first outing of the year. You sound like a pro though -way ahead of me!! Any tips for a returning biker?

Schwinn
May 30th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Not really a pro--in my bike gear, I look like Lance Armstrong on a 3 month McDonald's bender (I was going to say Jan Ullrich, but most wouldn't get the reference. Mrs. Schwinn would say that that would be a good thing...)

Just ride...and don't push too much. If you ride a little every day, you'll eventually get your pedal-legs back. If you do do a long ride, and push yourself hard, make sure you give yourself a couple of days to recover. One epic ride a week would really go a long way to getting back into it--but too many more than that, you'll actually impede your progress.

Oh, and put yer melon in a bucket! As my cousin said when I first started and told him you look stupid in a helmet..."Yea, how stupid will you look on life support because you fell off your bicycle?"

LavenderRott
May 30th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Hey, Schwinn! I ride a couple of times a week!

I get right in my mother's minivan and we go to Wal-Mart!:thumbs up

CyberKitten
May 31st, 2007, 04:10 PM
Ah not to sorry about the melon - the TV station here is probably tired of our (my hospital) rants about kids driving ATV's who are WAY too young, often without a helmet, something I cannot understand. As in what are those parents thinking????? And thx for the advice- I have been doing a little each day - not every day tho I wish but I have been coming home late and too exhausted. Hopefully tomorrow though I have a weekend on call. I may drive around a few blocks tho.

Good luck with your biking - both of you!! You are both I am sure WAY ahead of me. It does feel good tho!! (and it's a wonderful excuse to eat my banana Popsicles, lol)