Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My new snail!

KayCus
May 29th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I just bought some snails as pets. I learned that they are Black Mystery snails, and the internet sites all say they like to eat vegetation. I bought fish food to feed them, but I was wondering how and what I could feed them as treats.. shredded lettuce? Carrot? And would I just drop it whole or cut it up and place it in the tank. Any suggestions or info would be great!

Maya
May 29th, 2007, 12:40 PM
When I had snails (not sure what kind) they liked to eat all the plants in the fish tank.:shrug: :) That could get expensive but if you can find something that grows fast and put lots in the tank it would be pretty, also probably make the environment more healthy.

ewe5248
October 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I don't know much about snails, but I lived in Florida for 10 yrs. and there are Golden Apple Snails in the wild there. They can only live in very clean water and go up onto tree roots that dip into the water to lay thier eggs. Of course when I decided to get one for my aquarium, the fish dealer gave me a lot of advice. Seems I had a knack for raising Fancytailed Guppies and I traded with him for what I needed. He gave me a clip that had a suckion cup to hook to the side of the tank. My snail and the fish liked fresh lettuce leaves and orange slices in moderation. Clean water was the most important thing. In the wild you will not see Apple Snails in polluted water.
I changed what they didn't eat every day! I had the snail for about two years.

want4rain
October 20th, 2007, 07:43 PM
be very careful when adding oranges to an aquarium. it really does a number on your pH!

when feeding any aquarium creatures land based foods, make sure you blanch ALL veggies. frozen ones warmed up do great! they like lettuce, peas, cucumbers and the like. you can also feed them algae wafers.

the more you feed them, the faster they grow. thats not always a good thing. :) does your aquarium have algae you scrape off?? if so, i wouldnt worry too much about feeding them too often.

do you keep track of your water parameters? they need their nitRATES kept below 40ppm. also, you can get a tiny bit of crushed coral for calcium, spinach will also help.

last but not least, they also could use a bit of iodine in their water. you can buy iodine for saltwater tanks and add 2 drops per 10g a week.

some signs of damage are lines on their shells or white patches and both of those things should get better or the new shell will not have those.

-ashley