Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Favourite Cholate Lab

CyberKitten
May 28th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I know I am always talking about my favourite and much beloved chocolate lab - I had to show him off! He is now 8 years old and has already had some surgery for hip problems but is dong extremely well. He is one of the most lovable dogs I have ever had the pleasure to know and love!! He is also a big baby but one lab isn't, lol? He has to be wherever you are and manages to squeeze into the smallest of places - you can imagine when I am lab sitting - him and the 4 cats in bed.

Hunter's_owner
May 28th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Oh I love him!!!:lovestruck: He is a beauty:lovestruck:

mummummum
May 28th, 2007, 07:56 PM
A very handsome lad... and he likes cats !

rainbow
May 28th, 2007, 07:59 PM
He is gorgeous. :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
May 28th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Yep...Labbies are definitely Good People! :D He's got a lovely head--I love that blocky look :cloud9:

TeriM
May 29th, 2007, 02:30 AM
He is a very handsome fella :cloud9: .

angeldogs
May 29th, 2007, 05:20 AM
What a handsome boy.:cloud9:

Kristin7
May 29th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Wow, he looks huge and bearlike! Very handsome...

CyberKitten
May 29th, 2007, 02:30 PM
He is kind of bear like now that you say that, lol One day I had a neighbour come over and while she has 3 cats is not much of a dog person - I think she may have had a bad experience as a child - and she was almost afraid of him. It was amusing in a way because he is the biggest baby, lol He has to be anywhere everyone is and when he was a puppy - and still pretty big, he;'d whine to get into bed. I'd have to help him in - and he was heavy even then. I could not lift him (He was too big, lol) but between him and I, we'd get him in bed. Now he is big enough to jump in of course.

He is probably the kindest dog I have ever known and I have had many dogs myself, all of them kind so that is saying something! Granted, my beagle was extremely very kind as was my poodle. But this fellow is incredible - he'll allow the baby - now a toddler sit on him and or she lays back on him and he just licks her or lets her be. She will in return pet him or place her tiny head on his head - it is so cute! We never leave them alone together but I know nothing would ever happen - she is jut learning to walk and he tries to be there so she can hang on to him, lol (He is taller than her!) Here, he is guarding the baby;s "stuff", lol

Personally, I love his soulful big brown eyes!

Winston
May 29th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Cyberkitten ~! OMG he is sooo cute! It sounds like your describing my boy Winston! he is the best dog! but we had to work at it! He is almost 8!

Cindy

CyberKitten
May 29th, 2007, 06:32 PM
OhMiGosh, they could be twins!! They do look alike! I actually think anyone who has a kind and good dog does work at it - it is like bringing up a child really. It's good parenting. And while he is a spoiled dg in that he is well cared for and has as many toys as the kids, he listens better than them, lol (Never have I had to give him an instruction twice!) He did bark at me once when I was mowing the lawn and thought he should be there with me - but I did not want him near the moving lawn mower!! So he sat there and looked very sad and barked at me but all was forgiven once the lawn was mowed and he was within reach of me, lol I swear sometimes he acts almost human! Both he and my Siamese cats understand when I say "go get your ball" or your whatever and out they come with it - if they have not managed to loose it. My meezer YY has this tendency to "misplace " her stuff, lol

And not only does he allow the toddle to sleep on him. He also lets the Sphynx Girls - who love his warm body and all the hair - They have none! - to sleep practically on top of him or nudged between his belly and legs so they get warmer. I can tell him to give the kitties some kisses and he will. Just a real sweetheart!! I really think chocolate labs are special!

Winston
May 29th, 2007, 08:20 PM
OhMiGosh, they could be twins!! They do look alike! I actually think anyone who has a kind and good dog does work at it - it is like bringing up a child really. It's good parenting. And while he is a spoiled dg in that he is well cared for and has as many toys as the kids, he listens better than them, lol (Never have I had to give him an instruction twice!) He did bark at me once when I was mowing the lawn and thought he should be there with me - but I did not want him near the moving lawn mower!! So he sat there and looked very sad and barked at me but all was forgiven once the lawn was mowed and he was within reach of me, lol I swear sometimes he acts almost human! Both he and my Siamese cats understand when I say "go get your ball" or your whatever and out they come with it - if they have not managed to loose it. My meezer YY has this tendency to "misplace " her stuff, lol

And not only does he allow the toddle to sleep on him. He also lets the Sphynx Girls - who love his warm body and all the hair - They have none! - to sleep practically on top of him or nudged between his belly and legs so they get warmer. I can tell him to give the kitties some kisses and he will. Just a real sweetheart!! I really think chocolate labs are special!

You are so right ! Winston certainly was very dominant when he was a pup...I got him from a neighbour who was going to take him to the spca after 1 week....long story short we went to obediance from puppy up to grade 2 and this helped very much except that he was still a dominant dog..I always had to be right on him all the time so he could get away with nothing....until 3 years old and he changed...he is exceptionally smart..knows probably about 20 tricks....really....and the nose he has is incredible...I have often said he should have been a scent dog..I can throw a piece of his tennis ball (which never last too long either!!) about the size of a dime into the grass in the yard and he will find it...(funny thing is I cover his eyes before I throw it!!) it is amazing. He is gentle yet BIG! 110 pounds at present..not fat at all really. He has been a large puppy from the time I got him...7 weeks old and 16 pounds...

Anyway, long story short!! I agree Chocolate Labs are special...

Cindy

:)