Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost Tyyger in Laval

Tyygercatt
May 28th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Good day All

I would like to say hello to everyone here. I have been reading some interesting posts about cats ( as I have had a few all of my life ). I have really enjoyed all of the information provided.
Unfortunatley at this time I am saddened. I have lost my cat Tyyger ( Tigger )
A multicolored tabby ( black, brown and a little white ).He went out for the evening May 18 and never came home. I have talked to many neighbors and are helping to keep an eye out for him.
He is 4 yrs old , had a collar on him but HOUDINI enjoys taking it off every chance he can get. Luck has it I bought a new on on friday night and was going to put it on him and he took off.
He has an extra toe on each paw and is not declawed.He is nervous around people will not attack but simply run.
I have put up many posters in the area call the SPCA in Laval, Montreal and the South Shore. Berger Blanc was absolutely no help they were quiet rude and disrespectful. I have gone out in the evenings calling for him and checking in neighbors yards. I have gone to vets in the area and have asked to put his poster up for viewing. Right now I am at a loss to what I can do next. I miss him terribly and so does the other cat I have. I feel I should be doing more but I don't know what I can do.
Does anyone see anything else I should be doing. Any information would be helpful.
Tyygercatt

badger
May 28th, 2007, 11:48 AM
You didn't mention if you looked in people's sheds and garages, somebody might have shut him in by accident.

It's been barely a week, do NOT give up. Keep going out morning and night with something smelly or his favourite treat, keep calling. Enlarge the circle of your search. Don't exclude the possibility that he may be on the other side of a busy street, it doesn't deter them.

Of course cats don't always come when they hear you, but keep in mind that he is likely still in the area. Is he neutered? Keep putting up and replacing posters, ask people to watch out for him.

Even if it's a long shot, keep going to the SPCA, in case someone has taken him in and called for a pick-up. If the SPCA is responsible for your area, then Berger Blanc probably doesn't come there.

Don't despair, I've had cats come back after a week and there are many who have stayed out longer, all with happy endings.

Tyygercatt
May 28th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Good day Badger

Thank you very much for the advice. I have gone door to door and asked the residents around if they had seen him.Tonight I will ask the neighbors if I could have a look in their yards.
I have had a few phone calls but nothing concrete. I know it has only been a week but this is not the first time I lost a cat in this area. The last one I went crazy looking for her and nothing. I guess thats why I am a little frantic about this one.
There was a report on the news on friday that the Montreal SPCA has had a surge of animals found and/or dropped off. I will have a llok again this afternoon.
He was neutered was he was younger I made sure of that. I have been trying to post a picture but I am having some issues here. I have posted on another site his information. I will try again later on
Thank you

CyberKitten
May 28th, 2007, 02:05 PM
There are some excellent hints on what to do on this site:

http://www.pet-detective.com/

Also, since indoor cats act differently when they are on the loose that outside cats, this site has some good ideas regarding that:

http://www.lostapet.org/indoorCat.html

There is another site called Cat out of or in the cat (I forget today!) but it is excellent! I would set a trap for your cat - indoor cats usually do not stray far and he may even be watching you but they become afraid even of their owners sometimes. Some people set a humane trap and while they have to wait, they do eventually find their cat.

Look in every nook and cranny near your home. Some use a grid pattern to do this and if you know where he went before, I'd track that as well.

Good luck!

Tyygercatt
May 28th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Good day CyberKitten

Thank you for the helpful advice. He goes in and out he normally goes out for the evening and when I get up he is at the front door waiting to give me the latest news of the neighborhood. lolol
I have seen him in the fields behind the church not far from where I am but I have looked there practically every day and I have seen nothing. I think i will open my search a little more and hopefully he will pop out.
I just came back from the SPCA on Jean Talon in Montreal. There were a few cats there but he was not :(.
Here is a picture of him. The collar he has on was the last one he lost.I have never gone through so many collars as I have with him.
I appreciate all of the advice and will try to keep my chin up.
Tyygercatt

CyberKitten
May 28th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Awww, what a cutie!! The thing to know most about indoor cats is that when "lost" or away from their territory, they will be very scared and will hide even from you - not because they do not love you or are angry, they are just so very frightened. They will not even meow usually so calling them and meowing does not work that well. They never go too far but they will find a hiding place -under a car, in some hidey hole somewhere (someone's step, a basement, anywhere they think they are safe). Many have been extremely successful with a humane trap. It also helps to put out their fav food or very smelly food like tuna and maybe find something to wear like a tee shirt and make sure it is sweaty with your scent and they might come to that in a trap.

The other site is http://www.Catsinabag.org There are some great ideas plus you can post your lost kitty on a a bulletin board and talk to others who have gone through the same thing and see what has worked for them.

Again, good luck!!

Love4himies
May 29th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Don't give up hope. He is probably close to home and frightened. Best time to find them is when the neighbourhood is very quiet. Take some tuna or his favourite treat along with you to encourage him out of hiding.

He is a beautiful cat. Love his markings.

Tyygercatt
May 29th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Thank you Love4himies
It was love at first sight.I actually went to a vet downtown Montreal as I was helping a friend bring her two cats there for some treatment. Apperently they found a box with a litter of about 6 near the Ville Marie Expressway ( Highway to the Downtown Core ) I went in to see what they looked like. I sat down and this little runt came by looked me over,and deceided that I was acceptable. He climbed up and nestled himself on my neck.
The rest is history, I took him home weeks later I got his shots and he was fixed.
He is a little pest and knows just how to get his way. If I do not wake up early enough he taps my face for food ( even though there is food there ). He even has a love for Canari melon ( I know its not good for him but a little nibble once and a while won't be so bad. He flips it in the air a couple of time and he eats it. I have never seen that.
All in all he is my baby.
Tyygercatt

CyberKitten
May 29th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Any sightings? Do you go out each night to check and have you pondered settin up a humane trap? That works often in finding indoor only cats or cats that go outside just a little bit. My guess is unless someone picked him up, he is not far from home! He may be hiding not far away and he won't meow - indoor cats become very afraid and they just do not meow, even to those they love. They are just to scared and think if they meow, they are giving up their location.

Good luck!!!

Tyygercatt
May 29th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Good day CyberKitten

He has been going out since he was 2 yrs old . He will go out for the night and show up in the morning. He has gone out for 24hrs some weekends and come home. He actually opens the foyer door with his paws to get to the front door. Thats when I know he wants out.
I just came back from an hour walk around the neighborhood. I have changed the old and tatttered posters in the neighborhood. I have been eaten alive by mosquitos and not a sound. I am going to have to look into the humane trap. I will probably go out later on when it gets darker and call him again.
Its getting harder and harder to keep positive. Every day that goes by hurts more and more. I am trying to keep my chin up but its not easy

Tyygercatt:pawprint:

Tyygercatt
June 2nd, 2007, 08:15 AM
Well now It has been two weeks since Tyyger disappeared and there have been no sightings. I printed out about 50 more posters to put up this morning. I have gone out everynight to call him and to the two SPCA's in the area. I believe that someone found him really adorable and took him home. He is a good catch. Cute friendly, fixed, had all of his shots and has an attitude . I have not given up hope but it seems the longer the days go the more I have to let go.

Tyygercatt
June 9th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Good day All

I am still searching, its been three weeks. I have had a few calls and met people who are feeding strays in the area. There are many tabbys like Tyyger in the area and it has been a close call many times. I keep putting up the posters, calling him in the evening and go to the SPCA every three days to see. I have enlarged my search area and nothing. I have put ads in the local paper as well.I am at a loss to what to do now. I have left food out in the early hours in the morning in the humane trap and I think the animals are smart around here no one ventured in.
Is there anything else someone can suggest to me.

chico2
June 9th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I was hoping the last post would say Tigger was back home:sad:
Please do not give up,a neighbor of mine lost her cat and almost a month later she was found only four houses away,someone had been feeding her.
I was alerted seeing the Humane Society picking her up and told the very happy owner..
I can only hope Tigger is safe somewhere and the people just don't know someone is looking for him,he is a really beautiful cat.
I wish you and Tigger best of luck,I can only imagine how I would feel were one of my cats missing.:pray: for Tiggers return.

shirley1011
June 9th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Don't give up..I know how easy it would be to do that after still searching for Sable after 9 months.
I had a cat many years ago that was missing for almost 2 months. She came home just full of pine needles. She must have climbed a pine tree and then couldn't get down. She was so thin but still alive. She would have been
eight then and she lived until 19....so don't give up miracles can happen.:fingerscr

Tyygercatt
June 10th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Thank you chico2 and Shirley1011
I appreciate the moral support. I am going out again this evening and putting up more posters. I am trying not to give up hope but its hard. It has been taking up alot of my life and friends and family say that I am becoming obsessed with this. They are becoming worried about me.
They believe that Tyyger is in a new family and that "with the amount of posters" someone should have contacted me by now.I will keep looking

Carlyg
June 10th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I think you should keep looking..who cares what anyone else says. You havn't even lost him for a month...when I lost Spencer all the animal shelters said to keep looking for up to two months..it's been almost three and I won't stop looking. You're cat didn't vanish into thin air..he is somewhere.

I'm not saying give up your entire life and dedicate the rest of your days to searching..but don't stop looking. Keep putting up posters, and internet advertisments. Don't forget to put them up inside school and stuff..I keep hearing stories of kids who found cats because of posters inside their schools.

Keep looking. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: He will come home.

chico2
June 11th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Tyygercatt,I am sure you'll hear a few"it's only a cat,get over it"from people who do not understand,those you ignore,we certainly understand:cat:
The upside with Tiger,he is used to beeing outdoors,knows his way around the neighborhood.
Maybe something caught his attention,maybe he's stuck in a tree?
I hate to say this,but here Humane Society picks up any animal found on the road and check for ID,would it be the same in your town?

Tyygercatt
June 13th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I know chico2 but it still hard to hear people say "get over it".
I have gone to the local SPCA and it kills me to go there. I want to take all of them home with me. I also want to strangle the necks of these people who don't get their animals fixed. It makes me so angry.
I went further out in my area and put more posters.Have not heard a sound. I try to go walking in the evening around 10 pm when I m sure he is roaming and I am trying to place in my mind where he could be.
The prank calls are getting on my nerves, but I am not going to give up yet. My mother let our cat out and a neighbor found him a month later. So my fingers are crossed and the prayers are repeated every night.
Carlyg I have been putting posters up near the three schools to have to re put them up every second day. But I will keep trying.
My older cat is a mess I cannot have 5 mins alone she has to be with me all of the time .She is constantly crying if I am doing something else so I have to stop and have her sit on my lap to calm down. I feel so bad for her we are comforting each other.:cat: IS there anything I can do to calm her besides sitting with her?

chico2
June 14th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I wish I could help,but other than giving the other cat attention,which you obviously do,I don't know what you could do for her:confused:
Of course you could get another cat,with no guarante they would like each other,but that too would be like giving up on Tiger:sad:
I think of you and Tiger every day,hoping he'll find his way home:pray:
The thing with cats,there are soo many strays in many places,people just don't think about them as beeing lost,or someone looking for them.
A loose dog is so much more visible and unusual(at least here)and most people would try to catch a dog.
Let's keep:fingerscr that someone will notice beautiful Tiger:fingerscr

Carlyg
June 15th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Aww, the poor other kitty.

:fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: I really hope you find him.

I know what you mean about annoying prank calls.....and stupid scammers. Mannn they make me so angry!.

That's good about the posters near the schools...but it sucks that you ahve to keep putting themback.

Can you go into the schools and ask the principle to put it inside?

When I first lost Spencer I went inside all the schools..the principles and secretaries were really really good about putting it up on their front doors and right at the front of the office. That way the wind and rain won't get it..parents and volunteers will see them too. (And thechildren won't take them down).

I read somewhere, it might have been on this website actually, about a woman mysteriously finding her cat I think it was a whole year later. She just happened to drive by him on the street.

Tygger is somwhere. :)

Tyygercatt
June 15th, 2007, 07:55 AM
I had a friend told me that the cat will find its way home with it scent. There is a cat that has been leaving its scent along the outside of my windows and doors. Will that dimish Tyygers scent along the same path? I am not sure what to so but try to wash it off and tell the neighbor not to let his cat out in the evening after what happened to Tyyger.

Tyygercatt
August 1st, 2007, 09:46 PM
Good day All

I have more or less given up the search for my tyyger. I have searched high and low, gone to the SPCA the local vets, neighbors houses. I know someone has him.
I am just hoping that one day they will be lazy enough and leave a door open and he will get away. but I am sure that won't happen. I appreciate all the words of encouragement from everyone but I have had no leads sine the begining of July and I feel like I am hitting a brick wall.
Can someone suggest something I can do or is it a lost cause

shirley1011
August 1st, 2007, 09:59 PM
I have read your post and my heart goes out to you. There is nothing worse than the feeling of helplessness. I know you have done all you can but
don't give up hope. You always have hope. Think of the good times with your kitty and send positive thoughts. I know the feeling of being devestated and not wanting to give up...it is just the not knowing what has happened that is the worst. Know that you have done everything right and you gave it your all and you will continue if you have more to go on..That is
all we can do. I do know they knew how much we loved them and how much we miss them.

Carlyg
August 2nd, 2007, 01:29 AM
Aww. That's a sad post if I ever read one. I absolutley totally and completley understnad your frustration though.
You havn't really "given up" on your cat...but you can only go so far without any leads/news/anything at all) :cry: I understand that.

chico2
August 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM
I don't think anyone really ever gives up on a lost cat/dog,as I am sure you won't...seeing Tyyger is an outdoor cat,he knows his way around,one day he might just show up at your doorstep:fingerscr

silvio
August 2nd, 2007, 09:24 AM
ahh, man hope he gets back, i know its a long shot but im out here in the south shore, ill keep a look out for him.
Does he respond to his name?

Tyygercatt
August 12th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Thank you all for the kind words. They have helped me through this tough time. It is appreciated.
Tyyger responds to his name and the rear end goes flying up when you call him and he calls back. Its too funny. I would purr to him and he would keep talking. My neighbors thought i was crazy. He had a great character to wake me up in the morning he would paw my face then bolt to the kitchen. Wonder what he wanted lolol.
He was also the only cat I had ever known to love canari melon. no other melons just canari. Go figure I know that it is odd but he loved the stuff.
I sadly went around taking the last of the posters down. Its hard but when you love something let it go, it if was meant to come back it will.

NoahGrey
August 12th, 2007, 05:25 PM
TyygerCat, Please don;t give up on looking for your cat. He needs you to keep looking for him!

I work at a Humane Society as an Animal Control Officer and I pick up stray cats all the time. We have lost reports that we keep here. I have picked up cats that have been missing for months. When I contact owners, they can't believe that we have their cat.

Also, bring in a picture of your pet to Humane Societies in your area. Also go in once a week to see if your cat is there.

I hope you find your little guy.

ACO22

chico2
August 12th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I was going to say the same,please leave the posters up,don't give up on Tyger,wherever he is...:pray:

Lynda41
August 12th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Hi hun

I have been looking for my Kipper for seven weeks now and it is very hard
I know it can be easy to give up and I hope you keep trying
I just have to believe Kipper will come home...
Some think I am crazy but Kipper never meant to get lost...he just wandered to far from home
I feel someone has him and hope the the novelty wears off soon and he comes home
Never give up...your kitty needs you

Hugs
Lynda