Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I feel guilty...and sick!

Schwinn
May 28th, 2007, 08:59 AM
So today is one of my rare sick days. I hate staying home, unless I really can't get out of bed. It feels like a mild case of food poisoning or something. I told Mrs. Schwinn it's my body rebelling against this new healthy eating she's having us try. ("What, nothing deep fried, there's no chocolate, no fat, no lard?? Get this stuff outta here!"). I always feel guilty when I think, "If I can sit here on the computer at home, I can sit on the computer at work, or make phone calls". Of course, I guess if I'm having trouble sitting here for any length of time, it might be just as well I stayed home.

Oh well, maybe I can get a little caught up. With my new job and Gracie, I often lurk at least once or twice every day, but everytime I come on, I only usually have a few minutes and never get to post. Then when I come on later, usually the "moment" has passed.

Anyone else have the guilt of staying home? Or anyone ever actually take a "me" day?

hazelrunpack
May 28th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I have the reverse problem. I'm home almost 24/7, but on those rare occasions when I have to leave the Pack for an hour or two, I feel like a very bad mommy... :o

I hope you're feeling better soon, Schwinn. :grouphug: You gonna have Gracie around to play with? :D

Skryker
May 28th, 2007, 09:30 AM
If I'm truly sick, I don't feel guilty at all for staying home because I've learned the hard way that it's much better to take one day and rest and beat something early than to "tough it out" and end up taking a week off because now I'm REALLY sick.

:o Or I used to feel that way, until I became self employed. Now I'm here at the store 6 days a week regardless of health. Once I can afford to pay someone on a temp basis, then I can take sick days. :fingerscr no food poisoning!

But I have been known to take "Mental Health Days". Sometimes you just need a break. :shrug:

Hazel, I'm still not over the guilt of not being at home with the dogs, even though I know they are completely happy sleeping with Daddy during the day. :o I wish I could have them here with me.

Frenchy
May 28th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Anyone else have the guilt of staying home? Or anyone ever actually take a "me" day?

I don't have any sick days, If I don't go to work, I don't get paid. If I stay home and want to get pay, they take it out in my vacation, so one less of vacation day for me. So no, I don't feel guilty when I do.

Hunter's_owner
May 28th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I don't feel guilty at all taking sick days. I used to when I first started, but now I don't at all. If I really want a day and feel I need it I go ahead and take it. Those days that I am sick, then I have realized that my co-workers would rather I stay home then go in and have the chance of spreading germs.:shrug:
Enjoy your day:thumbs up and I hope you feel better soon:fingerscr

Frenchy
May 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Oh yes Schwinn , like HO ; enjoy your day, you're home anyway, might as well make the best of it. :thumbs up

CyberKitten
May 28th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I am work - finally taking a break after being here since 7 AM and it is almost 3 PM. I am eating my "brunch" (who has time for breakfast when I was running late this am?) in front of the computer.

I always feel guilty when I stay home with an illness and so I understand you completely. Even if I have a day off and have an appt, I feel as if I am back in school and should be there instead of being out somewhere else. I think that comes with growing up with a parent who was a teacher (retired now). Still, I work so many hrs that I know intellectually I should not feel that way - and neither should you (There are health days or sock days for a reason) - but alas, emotionally, I am still fighting with those feelings.

Take care and hope you feel better soon!! Also try to enjoy the time you have at home. I tend to take work home - maybe you can do that if you feel really guilty, lol

coppperbelle
May 28th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I don't have any sick days, If I don't go to work, I don't get paid. If I stay home and want to get pay, they take it out in my vacation, so one less of vacation day for me. So no, I don't feel guilty when I do.

Is that legal? Most companies offer their employees sick days, don't they? I work in a school and am unionized and we have 6 paid sick days per year plus another 7 if needed.

Schwinn
May 28th, 2007, 07:54 PM
So I wound up lying down on the couch watching the CSI marathon...and having a marathon nap! Didn't get as caught up as I thought I would...

No, Gracie went to daycare. I was actually about to go out the door behind her and Mrs Schwinn when I felt ill again, and decided after they left to stay home. But I felt better after my nap and managed to get the lawn cut.

I do get a limited number of sick days. If I use those up, I don't get paid after that. I was brought up with the kind of parents where if your leg fell off, they stapled it back on and sent you to school. I was also always told if I was too sick to go to school, I was too sick to play hockey, so I went to school sick a lot!

I'm still getting used to my new role at work, so I don't like to miss time. I know, it's a sickness in itself!

Anyway, back I go tomorrow!

Dogastrophe
May 28th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I took my first sick day in about 3 years this past Feb (not to say I haven't gone to work sick). I hate calling in sick ... I always feel like someone is going to think I'm faking.

Schwinn, your parents could have been mine. My mother would always tell us to go to school and if we still weren't feeling well by noon to call. I would count down the minutes to noon, call my mother, and she would always say the same thing: "well you made it until lunch so you only have a few more hours to go". I was so happy when I got to high school could easily just skip classes and not have to go through that routine.

LavenderRott
May 28th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Well, at least there was a CSI Marathon to watch! I have been watching it since I got up. I did go to Mom's for dinner where they were watching the "Little People, Big World" marathon. :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

I don't get paid if I don't go to work. Today is my first paid holiday! It would have been a good day if it hadn't been for the choice of shows I had to watch at dinner time. :sad:

I hope you feel better tomorrow.

hazelrunpack
May 29th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Feeling better today?

Schwinn
May 29th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Yes, I'm feeling much better today, thanks for asking! Though Gracie decided she didn't want to sleep last night, and ergo, neither did I.

I was talking to Mrs. Schwinn yesterday after she came home, and it turns out the the big clump of cheese that Grace didn't want that I ate, unbeknownst to me, she had stuffed it full of garlic bits. Oops. We think that may have been what ailed me. On the upside, I should be vampire-proof for the next 3 months!

Frenchy
May 29th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Yes, I'm feeling much better today,

Really ? Even with all the popcorn you had last night ? :D Gotta say, reading that post almost made me pee in my pants :laughing: