Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good girl?????

SaraGeorge
May 28th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Sara has been so good with housebreaking, no acciedent in the house for....6 days!!!! 'till now...I think this time was totally my fault, I think.

We have been giving her the phrase "good girl" everytime she pees/poo outside. The other night, I was making my bed and she was sitting righ next to me so pretty and not bothering me with pulling sheets. So I gave her a treat and said "what a Good Girl" then she went pee (on the carpet) right front of my eyes and wagging her tail. I think she associates "good girl" with going pee....I thought this was pretty cute but kinda worried....

SaraGeorge

~michelle~
May 28th, 2007, 09:35 AM
thats totally normal esp if that was the only time you called her a good girl. dogs use through association. it like if you we're learning french and everytime your teacher looked at a cat and said "bon" you would think cats are called bon.
the phrase good girl as praise has to be taught that it means praise.

tenderfoot
May 28th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Try to say 'go potty' when you take her out to encourage her. Then when she does it say 'good, potty'. This way you are rewarding and reinforcing the direction.

Example - if you say 'sit' and she does, often people will say 'good girl' and then she breaks the sit because she thinks she is being released. Better to say 'good, sit' to reward and reinforce the direction.

This could also have just been a mistake. Few dogs become house trained and never make another mistake - especially as a young pup.

Ford Girl
May 28th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I started by saying go pee go pee go pee, while she was peeing, then good girl afterwards and treated her...sometimes I would say it too soon and she would stop peeing for a treat or she woudl hear me break the treat in half in my pocket...and she even started to fake pee for a treat, too funny, we always knew because of the snow on the ground and eye contact she made while she was "peeing"! Now she pees on command which comes in handy, she still gets a good girl afterwards, but no treat. :)

SaraGeorge
May 29th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Hi Ford Girl,
OMG, that's so funny about the eye contact, Sara makes this funny look on her face while she pees, kinda side glaring but cute. Then she looks at my right pocket for treats. soooo cute!