Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What are your thoughts about microchipping?

ChancesMom
May 28th, 2007, 02:52 AM
I am curious what your thoughts are about microchipping.

Thanks in advance! :pawprint:

onster
May 28th, 2007, 07:49 AM
My first cat Ty was not microchipped and in hindsight I regret it. He was indoor outdoor (given to us already used to the great outdoors) and one day, after 6 years of coming home at 5am like clockwork he didn't come home. Cats always lose those safety collars and it's not safe not to have a safety collar in case they get caught on something so basically he had no identification. I regret that. I wish he had some sort of identification so that if he were taken to the humane society they would recognize him ( I did give them posters and go visit their facility though) but still, the amount of cats they go through is crazy.

My two cats now were adopted from the humane society and already microchipped. I'm glad they are but I think the only real benefit of having a microchip is if lost pets are taken to humane societies or found by a pet owner ( aware of microchips). You have to ask vets to scan for microchips (or at least my vet), so if someone actually took your pet, or thought it was a stray I dont think a vet visit would likely re-unite you with your baby.

~michelle~
May 28th, 2007, 08:38 AM
it is now manditory that all pets identified as lost or stray be scanned for microchip by vet or shelters so it makes them more useful. :) the only time you wouldnt find them if the person either stole your pet or they didnt identify them as lost or a stray

RUSTYcat
May 28th, 2007, 01:33 PM
5 cats......never outdoors.......still ALL chipped....period

Painless, inexpensive.

WHY? Peace of mind is priceless. There are too many "what if's" that become realities for many people.

hazelrunpack
May 28th, 2007, 01:55 PM
hubby knew a guy who had his dog chipped. The chip migrated and ended up in the shoulder joint. :eek: Big $$ surgery to fix it...

So although I lean toward chipping the Pack, hubby is deadset against it... I can see his point, but that was the only case like that that I've ever heard of, so what are the odds? :shrug:

Daizy
May 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I temporarily 'lost' one of my dogs on the beach for half an hour (someone left the gate open in the off leash section ....... what lovely people there are around!!) - fortunately she was found by a humane society agent who was on patrole on the beach and as she had a name tag on with my number he was able to contact me and I was able to check my messages and get her back immediately. But ... she is also microchipped so had he take her back to the pound he would have scanned her and she would have been 'found' that way. I didn't go out of my way to loose her and would never have expected her to go missing as I always keep a careful eye on her. Micro chipping is only $65 and it gives all that peace of mind.

Ford Girl
May 28th, 2007, 02:22 PM
My pooch is chipped, I was convinced it was essential after the vet told me that vets, shelters and rescue places in NA will scan an animal when brought in for the first time, by an owner without proof of purchase or adoption, and held there if lost or stolen. My dog would go home with anyone, we also do alot of out door activities, it's just a piece of mind for us. I can log on and change Dazy info at any time, add things like spayed, scar on left ear, medication needs and special requiments, change of address, the database is world wide.

mummummum
May 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM
All three of my dawgs are microchipped and I think it should be mandatory for all animals along with mandatory scanning by Animals Services and HS's. Tags are only useful until they fall off or are removed.

JanM
May 28th, 2007, 04:56 PM
My first cat was microchipped but to my dismay, I found that, when we moved from Manitoba to BC, the readers here wouldn't read his chip! I haven't bothered getting my dogs and new cat microchipped but they all have tattoos in their ears and their license Numbers on their collars plus their names and my phone number on a metal tag on their collars.

mafiaprincess
May 28th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I've found a lot of times dogs don't get scanned arrive at AC, or a shelters. Guess it's great you made an attempt to do more for the dog, but if they can't always be bothered it's not as great a safety feature as they sell it for. Our vet clinic wanted to charge a 62 dollar office visit and 100 just to pop in a microchip a rescue on here was willing to help us out with. I've given up. It isn't always affordable or as helpful as it's meant to be.

m8r5k
May 28th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I have all my pets, including my bird, microchipped. Not only will it help find a missing pet but settle owner disputes. If someone had your pet and insisted it was theres you could prove ownership.

CyberKitten
May 28th, 2007, 07:25 PM
My only concern with microchipping is the same one I have about VCR's and various other tech gadgets (even tho I consider myself a gadget person, lol), there is no standard (ie beta vs. VHS) and in computer video - Dix vs mov vs mpeg vs flv vs the various others. I just hope that if my pets ever get lost - even given that they are all indoor kitties and literally run from the door (It is way too cold for them tho my meezers are more interested in the spring and summer tho they yowl if cold air makes it way too far into their realm, lol) - the rescue group of vet that finds them will have the right kind to test for the chip. However, I think it's a safe bet. I do worry if they are lost here - since indoor cats hide even from their person and people and almost never meow when lost (even vocal cats like Siamese) - but still, it is worth the added protection. It does not harm them and it may save their life if they ever do get lost and someone who cares finds them! I guess I am not sure why anyone would be concerned. There are no medical issues per se and I guess as someone who has titanium and other permanent metal in my own body, why would I worry about my kitties having a much tinier amount????

i_have_too_many
May 28th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I heard a story once about a family who moved from one side of the county to the other and once in the new home the cat dissappered. It was found, about a year later, back in the old neighbourhood. The cat was taken to a local shelter, scanned, and the owners were re-united with their beloved pet, all because they decided to microchip! I think that is reason enough to do it. As a breeder I do all our puppies, I have debated over it for a while, chip vs tattoo. But in the end microchips won out, even though I have heard of them "migrating". Since I do them myself (wouldnt recommend it if you are only doing your own pet) I only pay for the chip itself, about $15.

I like the idea that if one of my puppies was ever missing, the shelter/vet could trace it back to me. I would also be contacted if one of my dogs ever was surrendered to a shilter, that I like too.

Our older dogs were tattooed, mainly because chips were not that popular when they were born, but over the years, the tattoos have become less readable. The thing about tattoos, is they can be changed too, that way if someone stole your dog, they could just have the tattoo changed to say it was not yours. An F could easily be turned into an E, a 7 into a 2, etc.

So, I feel it is well worth the piece of mind that the microchip provides.

krdahmer
May 28th, 2007, 11:33 PM
:thumbs up
All six of mine are collared tagged and microchipped. And all of them are strictly indoors (except for a few short lived, thwarted escape attempts:rolleyes: ).

bj601
May 29th, 2007, 12:01 AM
My puppy will be microchipped this Friday, as well as being spayed (I'm a basket case thinking about it). It is half the cost if done at the same time, but I would have had i done anyways. My vet had a chuckle when I first asked her about it. Her opinion is that the owners who have pets chipped rarely ever lose them, they tend to be a little more careful. My vet is great but a little eccentric:). I say accidents happen and I want it done anyways as the added insurance that if by chance she ever did get lost, I have that on top of her tags etc.

gomez
May 29th, 2007, 12:13 AM
In Australia it's mandatory to have your pet chipped - great idea.

There is a standard, 2-3 companies make chips that are readable internationally - Gomez would not have gotten in without one - in the UK it is also mandatory to chip if you want a pet passport.

Should you ever travel (never say never!) it's good to have a chip already in, it will save you time and loads of paperwork!

BTW, regarding tattoos, there are many instances of thieves cutting away the tattooed bits so the animal will not be identified..

Our two cats were also chipped and they were strictly indoor cats, but htey did travel overseas!

TeriM
May 29th, 2007, 01:40 AM
2 dogs and 2 cats here and all are micro-chipped. I also always have id on their collars. I really hate it when I find a lost dog and it has a collar on but no info. The only thing I can do then is take it to our local shelter :sad: .

clm
May 29th, 2007, 06:14 AM
My new puppy is chipped, but only because the breeder had it done. I've never had any cats or dogs chipped myself and probably never would. I've never lost an indoor cat to the outdoors and my dogs are never out of my sight in the enclosed back yard or always on a leash if not in my yard.

Cindy

RUSTYcat
May 29th, 2007, 08:57 AM
OK......some of the "what-ifs".......

What if someone breaks into my home while I'm at a movie, at the mall, gone for a drive in the country OR even overnight while I'm dead asleep? Will the burgular carefully close up his/her entry point, ensure that my cats are safe before leaving?

What if there's a fire in my house...........

What if I'm suddenly taken ill, manage to call 911 and have a hoard of emergency workers descend into my house......no, of course, there's no chance that a door will be left open..........

When we deny the possibilities, we leave ourselves open to the dangers associated with those very events.

clm
May 29th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Absolutely, a chip is a form of insurance I guess. They say Canadians are overinsured as a rule anyway :D I've been lucky the past 40 years I guess, I've never needed to locate a lost animal from a chip, so I'll take my chances based on my track record and not do the chips. I also have a personal objection to inserting foreign objects under the skin of animals, but that's just a problem I have with it. Maybe if they started chipping people because it's such a safe practice I might feel better about it. :laughing: .
By all means though, if it makes you feel your pet is safer by having it chipped, then that's the way to go, I'm sure lots of lost animals have been returned to their owners because of them.

Cindy

LittleMissLevi
May 29th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Why wouldn't you just do everything possible to make sure your animal is identifiable as yours just incase something happens: microchip, tattoo and ID on collar. Seems like the smart thing to me!:angel:

SableCollie
May 29th, 2007, 01:11 PM
As a shelter worker, I have to say microchips are great! We scan every incoming stray for a microchip. Unfortunately, 90% aren't microchipped, and of those that are, often the registered information is wrong, either the people moved and didn't change their address/phone info, or the microchip goes back to a petstore or an old owner who has since given the dog away...so it is very important that you keep the information up to date!

However....Sable isn't chipped (yet). We have the equipment at the shelter to chip, but we have only done it once. The needle is very large, and requires a lot of force to pierce the skin. The one and only dog we did absolutely screamed when the vet injected him. We haven't been able to bring ourselves to try it again. We do have animals chipped when they are under anesthesia, they don't feel it then. If Sable ever has to go under for a dental or something, I will definitely have it done then, I just have a hard time thinking of her getting it done while she is awake. Plus my vet doesn't do microchipping yet. :shrug:

RUSTYcat
May 29th, 2007, 01:30 PM
....The needle is very large, and requires a lot of force to pierce the skin. The one and only dog we did absolutely screamed when the vet injected him. We haven't been able to bring ourselves to try it again.

That's strange....when each of my 5 cats were done (by the Vet), they didn't even notice...not even a flinch! And, the needle didn't appear very much larger than the vaccination syringe. Maybe newer technology??????

SableCollie
May 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Maybe newer technology??????
Actually our whole microchip kit is brand new. The needles have to be large because microchips are about the size of a grain of rice.

I think one of the problems may have been that our vet is over 80 years old and no longer has the strength to push a needle that size through the skin quickly. :shrug:

ChancesMom
May 30th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Thank you all for your thoughts.

Chance has not been chipped yet. It is something that I have considered and was wondering what others thought...

I guess it seems a little strange to me to insert something foreign into his skin and I am not sure how I feel about it, on the other hand if he were to be lost or taken and separated from his collar and tags I would be a mess!

TMac
May 30th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Why wouldn't you just do everything possible to make sure your animal is identifiable as yours just incase something happens: microchip, tattoo and ID on collar. Seems like the smart thing to me!:angel:

Exactly!

My dog is chipped, tattooed and has multiple tags (city dog license, rabies tag which has vets phone number, tag with Toby's name and our phone number, tag with microchip 1800 number) etc. Short of making the poor guy wear a "Hello my name is Toby" tshirt, I have him uber-identified!! :laughing:

krdahmer
May 30th, 2007, 11:09 PM
And come to think of it, out of six kitties, only two flinched when they injected the chip. Man I saw that needle... and I woulda flinched.

angeldogs
May 31st, 2007, 04:11 AM
We had jag chipped and my bro had ben chipped.my vet say's not every spca has the scanner.but if the get a stray in the can find out from what animals have been reported missing to see if they get a match.just for the piece of mind was worth it.never know if a collar will break off with all the tags on.or slip of.

CyberKitten
May 31st, 2007, 04:05 PM
Mine were all micro chipped when they had a spay or neuter surgery or dental. But I do know many cats who have never flinched at all. Some animals have more fat so that they hardly feel the needle - and it also depend on the vet and who does the injection. It is like giving IV's -some patients demand an IV nurse because their veins are not good. Some cats and dogs and bunnies have less tissue to work with and sometimes the screaming is psychological as well - especially if they are not keen on visiting the vet anyway. I sort of think of it the same way as diabetics and needles- with a MUCH bigger needle. Find a good sized area to inject the needle into.

marsupial mama
May 31st, 2007, 07:00 PM
now I know why the shelter worker took kitty out of the room when she chipped her...

The chipping was required at the shelter where we got her. But I noticed that vets don;t routinely scan pets that are brought in.

Kitty wears a collar with tags too, so as to be recognized as a pet if she ever does escapre (God forbid)