Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pet friendly household products

~michelle~
May 27th, 2007, 07:46 PM
in light of hearing about smiley and petey's scare i thought we should start a list of pet friendly products for cleaning and other household uses. I know that we can use baking soda and vinegar, but sometimes i want a little more, so what if any are some of the petfriendly product people around here use (remember biodegradable doesnt mean pet friendly as it can be poisonous if ingested)

Stacer
May 27th, 2007, 08:09 PM
This is a good topic. About 6 months ago I decided to systematically get rid of all the chemicals in our apartment, for our own health and for the health of our cats. So far I no longer use any spray cleaners, and I'm slowly weaning myself off of laundry detergent and nice smelling fabric softeners. I've switched both my dish and dishwasher detergent to all natural detergents as well.

Most of my ingredients include vinegar, distilled water, borax (which I do keep out of reach of the cats), baking soda, castile soap and essential oils such as lemon, lavender and tea tree oil. I also bought washing soda and have been trying to figure out what to mix with it to clean my laundry as well as the commercial brands.

I feel really good about cleaning the apartment in this manner and don't have to worry that the cats might get into something dangerous.

I also bought a book of "green cleaning" recipes, if anyone's interested I could post some of recipes.

otter
May 27th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Watch out with borax and washing soda - both can be kinda toxic but they are GREAT cleaners.

I'd love to hear of tried and tested cleaners. Sometimes there are "secret" ingredients that make all the difference.

I use ALOT of baking soda but i'm still hooked on regular laundry detergent, though i'm trying out the new PC green stuff as we speak.

Does anyone have any suggestions for killing ants?.....i'm being overrun :eek: . I've used borax and maple syrup in the past but it's very enticing to doggies so i'd like to try something else.

~michelle~
May 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM
salt kills ants

Frenchy
May 27th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I also bought a book of "green cleaning" recipes, if anyone's interested I could post some of recipes.

wow , you guys , I don't even cook and you guys have recipe for cleaner products !

The only natural product I use for cleaning is vinegar. And to unclog pipes ; vinegar and baking soda.

otter
May 27th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Michelle, just the regular table salt kinda stuff? Do you have to do anything to get them to take it back to the nest with them or just sprinkle it around :confused:

:laughing: I don't cook either, gives more time for cleaning :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: (actually I don't cook or clean, thus the current laundering backlog - why bother though, I clean and things just get dirty, I eat and I just get hungry thus if you don't clean, nothing gets dirty and if you don't eat you don't get hungry :laughing:)

~michelle~
May 27th, 2007, 09:21 PM
getting rid of ants
taken from: http://infoventures.com/e-hlth/answers/ants.html

Repellents: Ants can be repelled by vinegar, cayenne pepper, citric extracts, bone meal, cinnamon, cream of tartar, salt, and perfume. You will have to keep trying different repellents to find the one your ants aren't willing to tolerate. Place lines of the selected repellent at points of entry and at various points along their path.

Insecticides: There are two ways to kill ants. The first is to dehydrate them by laying out piles of instant grits ( a corn product usually located in the cereal section of the grocery store) at the point of entry and along their trail. They will think of the grits as a food source and consume the pellets. The grits will in turn absorb moisture from the ant's body, thus killing it (instant grits are specially formulated to absorb water more rapidly than regular grits, thus they are more effective). The second method to kill ants is to feed them a mixture of 1 part active dry yeast, 2 parts molasses, and 1 part sugar. They will be attracted to the sugar in the mixture and will eat it readily. Once consumed the yeast will produce gas in the ant, and because they can't expel the gas, it will kill them.

JanM
May 27th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Have a look at this site http://eartheasy.com/live_natpest_control.htm. I came across it when looking for natural ways to handle a wasp problem - lots of good info on ants, fleas and such...

ChancesMom
May 28th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Great thread!

TeriM
May 28th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Great info :thumbs up . Thanks for the ant advice Michelle. I actually just today sprayed some areas outside for ants but it is in an area (inside a retaining wall) that the dogs can't get to and I watered the area afterwards to make sure there was no residual around. I will definately try those other options next time :) .

TeriM
May 28th, 2007, 03:22 AM
BTW, Safer also makes a bird friendly, no harmful to other animals slug stuff which works great :) .

chico2
May 28th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Thank's for the site JanM,it has some great ideas!

onster
May 28th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks Michelle! We have an ant problem outside (ant hills on our driveway). An army guy told my mom once that they use a mixture of 1/2 baking soda, 1/2 icing sugar around their bunkers to keep away insects. Apparently they are attracted to the sugar and the baking soda makes them poof up and explode-- doesn't seem to work that well though so I'll give some of your ideas a try :thumbs up

onster
May 28th, 2007, 07:42 AM
oh and I had a scare a few weeks ago, but it was with tomatoes not chemicals. After breakfast we left a half eaten tomatoe in a dish on the kitchen table. A while later while watching TV our kitten was dragging the tomatoe across the carpet, having a field day with it. It was cute and we laughed at his antics - "what kind of silly kitty eats tomatoes??" and I even gave him some in his dish so he wouldnt smear it all over the carpeting. Then I remembered they were toxic to cats :sad: :eek: and called the vets. They said to watch him but luckily the amount he mustve ingested ( he was more playing/chewing since hes teething) didn't do anything.

~michelle~
May 28th, 2007, 08:59 AM
here also is a link to toxic house plants

http://www.cybercanine.com/toxicplants.htm