Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy goes on pads indoors - it's stinking up my house!

peanutbutter
April 27th, 2004, 03:49 PM
My puppy was paper trained when we got him from the breeder. That worked well with our lifestyle. But the smell of urine was stinking up the house, so we switched to wee wee pads, thinking that since they were more absorbent, the smell wouldn't be so bad. We were wrong, they were a bit better, but not much. We're not home during the day, so we can't change the pad every time he goes #1. When he goes #2, it's not so bad, cause he usually goes in the morning, before we leave for work, so we change the pad immediately, and then he goes at night, when we get home. We've considered the Purina Second Nature doggy litter, but ruled it out due to cost, new training, don't know whether it'll solve the problem, etc. Apart from going outside, does anyone have any suggestions? New products, etc.? How is everyone else whose dog is paper trained deal with this situation? We already use the Glade plug-ins like mad, by the way.

Luba
April 27th, 2004, 04:18 PM
How old is the pup and how many hours is the pup left alone during the day?

Shouldn't be longer then 4 hours and if it is then you need to get someone to come home or a pet sitter to take your dog out.

woodbyter
April 27th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Over the years I have met an assortment of people - most of whom have had all sorts of animals. I have a friend who is super clean but she loves cats and works all day. Her solution was to keep her cats in one room, close the door, install a small fan in a dryer vet - set it in the window block off the rest of the opening and let it run during the day. It exhausts the air and the smell from her kitty box. It could work on puppy stuff too.

peanutbutter
April 29th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Will investigate/try them all!

acherlin
May 16th, 2004, 07:29 PM
My friend had a dog training technique that works. Everyday, she would move the doggie training pad a foot closer to the backyard door. Eventually, the pad was outside in the back yard and the dog would pee/poo there. Hope this helps.

Angela