Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Article on why you should not adopt from a shelter

fosterpat
May 27th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Please read this article and send your comments to Canadian Living magazine.
www.canadianliving.com/canadianliving/client/en/Family/DetailNews.asp?idNews=238047&pg=2

Frenchy
May 27th, 2007, 05:11 PM
send your comments to Canadian Living magazine.

I just did , too bad for them I'm pmsing :mad: this is RIDICULOUS !

K9Friend
May 27th, 2007, 05:32 PM
the first part is here:

http://www.canadianliving.com/canadianliving/client/en/Family/DetailNews.asp?idNews=238047&pg=1&

Love4himies
May 27th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I don't know too much about dogs, but I think this article is horses..t. What is this article going to do with the thousands of dogs that are wonderful, waiting in the shelter for that forever home. People who were thinking about going to the pound to find a dog change their minds because of this?

My two favourite cats that I had were from the shelter (I have had many cats all my life) and one other one, who was a stray, decided to pick us for his forever home, so we kept him. I would never think but to get a cat from anywhere but the shelter.

Boubou
May 28th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Oh boy, what a ridiculous article!! I just sent them my 'opinion' letting them know the majority of dogs dumped at shelters are NOT because of behavioral issues, but because of their owners stupidity and society - divorce, moving and allergies..... I also let them know many of the dogs do come from people who have purchased them at 'reputable breeders'. I also asked them how such an intelligent magazine such as Canadian Living can publish an article from such an ill-informed author and that they should correct this in their next issue- the lives of shelter dogs everywhere could pay dearly for such idiocy!!! :mad:

TeriM
May 28th, 2007, 04:26 AM
I know, I saw that yesterday. It was actually one of the "headlines" on the MSN Canada home page :sad: .

Hershee
May 29th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I agree that the article looks really bad and how it can anger some people. At first I was taken aback but when I continued to read the book I wasn't so upset. The article on it's own is way out of context. It's an EXCERPT from a chapter and so much more wasn't published (I have the book and my dog is from a shelter)

The author isn't against shelters and saying to NOT adopt from shelters altogether but is giving his opinion as to who he feels is better suited to adopt from shelters and from where he feels families should get their dogs and his reasons for believing that. Just as everyone here is giving their opinion.

There's actually more to that section that wasn't on MSN. He goes on to give training tips for dogs from shelters and there's even a section in the book that praises/talks about rescue groups and why they are beneficial to anyone looking for a dog, etc.

I don't think we should be attacking a book based on an EXCERPT when the entire chapter is not published and it's taken out of it's original context. Just my opinion.

SableCollie
May 31st, 2007, 06:27 PM
Oh yes I am aware of this guy. I thought he was a good, positive trainer, but then I read his website and found out that he thinks pit bulls should be banned because they are an "aggressive breed". Kinda lost respect for him after that.

His website is here (http://www.precisiondogs.com/) if anyone is interested. The part about pit bulls I read in his blog a while back.