Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello

magsmommie
May 27th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Hello everyone... My name is Shelley.. my boyfriend, Gary and I will be picking up our puppy in 2 weeks.. We have named her Maggie :dog: ... We already have a kitty...:cat: .. We cant wait to bring Mags home.. she is a jack russel shihtzu mix..she will be six weeks..

sugarcatmom
May 27th, 2007, 11:34 AM
she is a jack russel shihtzu mix..she will be six weeks..

Hi Shelley! Welcome, from another newbie (just joined the other day). I hope I'm not out of line by mentioning this and perhaps there are extenuating circumstances, but I'm a little concerned that you're able to take your puppy home at 6 weeks of age. There is just so much important puppy learning that goes on between 6-8 weeks that can only come from momma and the litter mates, such as bite inhibition. In fact, in the States it's illegal to sell puppies under 8 weeks: http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ovuspuppysaletable.htm
Are you sure you can't wait a couple more? It could make a big difference in your pups manners. Many people even think 10-12 weeks is the optimum adoption time, especially with the smaller breeds. Just something to think about . . . I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything!

Again, welcome, and good luck with Maggie no matter what!