Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good Place For Cat Litter?

Kirim
May 27th, 2007, 09:51 AM
At my present home, I keep it in one of the bath tubs. We have 2 baths and since it is only my husband and I, don't use it.
Now we are moving with my mother and aunt and they will be using the second bath.
With them comes a poodle so I need a good place to keep my cat's food and her litter box where she won't be disturbed. I thought of my room or walk in closet. Any ideas?
It is going to be bad enough for my poor kitty to learn to live with the poddle who by the way loves cats, but kitty is not used to that kind of company so I know I will have some stressfull times ahead.

Stacer
May 27th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Do you have a basement or a laundry room? Really anywhere where the kitty won't be disturbed by the dog while it's doing it's business is a good place to put it. A walk in closet would be good, just don't forget to leave the door open!:D We had our litterbox in the bathroom wedged between the toilet and tub for the longest time, but I got sick of getting out of the shower and stepping on litter that had been flung onto the floor:laughing: Also, doggies like to eat kitty poop, little crunchy treats, so be careful of that as well when decided where to put the litter box. My brother bought a baby gate and put it across the hallway so the dog couldn't get to where the cat's litter and food was and the cat had an escape by jumping over the gate if the dog was getting rowdy. Good luck!

Dogastrophe
May 27th, 2007, 10:44 AM
We put Gracie's litter box in a closet in a spare room. The door to the room has a baby gate across it making it a no-dog room. Although one of our pups can easily jump the baby gate, she doesn't bother trying to get it.

If you don't want to block off an entire room, you cold just block off the closet.

m8r5k
May 27th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I trained my cat to use the toilet.
It took about a month of patience but it is well worth it.
Make sure you buy disposable kitty litter if you try it. (not newspaper, it stinks) I used a large plastic bowl I bought at the $ store.
I put the bowl in the toilet under the seat (it had a rim to hold it up, and was soft enough to mold into the shape of the toilet). I left it that way until she was comfortable using it. Note: they will sit in the bowl not on the seat for the time being. Next I cut a small hole in the middle of the bowl (about the size of a $ coin. When she is used to that make it half an inch bigger until she is also comfortable with that, next cut it a little bigger and so on until there is just a rim left. Your cat will start by putting one foot on the toilet seat and eventually have both feet on the seat. Do not rush the process or you will have to start over.
They also have kits you can buy, but I hear the centers fall out occasionally causing your kitty to make a splash and fear the toilet.:cat:

m8r5k
May 27th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Here is a picture of my kitty the first day of her toilet training. She liked the corn litter, but eventually decided it was time to go potty. You may want to put a sign on the toilet to remind people to leave the toilet lid up. I put my note in a sandwich baggy and taped it to the toilet lid.

CyberKitten
May 27th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I think it is completely up to a cat's human how to litter train them and I respect the views of others but I wanted to share my thoughts on potty training.

There are some problems with potty training kitties imho and in the opinions of my Siamese baby's mama who breeds and shows them as well as my vet who treats only cats. While it certainly is helpful for the humans in the home, there are some questionable factors. I myself thought about doing this seriously - especially when YY's (my Siamese girl- I have 2 meezers, 2 Sphynx) mom was such a pro at it.

However, as soon as she had her babies - and was spayed - this breeder only lets her female champions breed once which is partly why her cats are so expensive - YY's mom refused to return to the old bathroom habit of toilet training. She was a cat darn it all and she wanted to dig!! More significantly, it is not a natural position for cats and since it has gained favour, is now showing arthritis probs in cats who do it.

I really would have kind of liked to have YY do it but the more studies I read - and I guess I do that with anything (just my nature as a scientist, study things till God knows when!) - I could not do that to her. She loves to dig and so what if I had to clean a few litter boxes. And with 4 cats, having them toilet trained- and I doubt there is no cat who cannot be trained that way - would have been very helpful to me. Alas, I gave in the the scientists and vets and all my cats use litter - Yesterday's News - and they do demand clean litter boxes but that's OK.

Here is a list if what scientsists say:

1. Cats shouldn't be made or expected to use a toilet for several reasons. First, it is an absolutely unnatural thing for a cat to do.By expecting and forcing cats to eliminate in a "human" way, they are unable to do what comes as instinctual - such as dig and bury their urine or feces. Isn't it enough that people attempt to modify their cats so they fit in with what that person might deem as "socially acceptable" - such as declawing? Expecting cats to do things as humans do is going just too far. (This is the behaviourist thought)

2. Toilet seats are slick and slippery even for young children, so think what it must be like for a cat. There is always a chance of a cat slipping and falling, possibly injuring himself in the process. This could also be an experience that will frighten the cat enough that he will refuse to use the toilet again. Toilets also require that the cat jump up. While this may be easy for a younger cat, it will be difficult and/or painful for an ill, or injured, or older, or arthritic cat to attempt. We provide hand-grips in public restrooms and our homes' bathrooms for our elderly and infirm humans. We also provide for them portable toilets in hospitals, nursing facilities, and our own homes, so why should we expect our elderly and infirm cats to eliminate with difficulty and pain?

3. (Most important medically - besides arthritis correlation)- toilet training a cat also makes it impossible to see the urine output, which is important in monitoring the cat's health. A cat who has a urinary tract infection may not feel comfortable trying to balance on the toilet seat when he is already miserable from painful urination or an inflamed bladder. He will more than likely seek out other spots in which to eliminate. Feces can't be checked accurately if there is a possible problem, as the water in the toilet will change the feces' consistency.

4. Many cats have a location preference when they eliminate. A toilet can't be moved from room to room. While a litterbox in the bathroom may work for some cats, in many households there are litterboxes placed in other locations as well. Not able to move an elimination area can be a setup for inappropriate elimination by cats who prefer other locations, especially in a multi-cat household.

One write suggested "I have yet to see a cat voluntarily, without provocation or training, rush to use a human toilet. Yet, when I scoop my cats' boxes in my home, or place a scrubbed litterbox down with fresh litter in it, the race is on to see who can get in there and eliminate first."

My advice to you is to help your cat adjust to her new home and if she knows where her litterbox is - as long as it is not near her food and in a quiet area away from all the activity, she should be fine. Cats are smart - show her where it is and she will be more than happy - unless of course she is upset with the move.

This makes having her use litter all the more important since cats tend to often demonstrate their problems through inappropriate urination and elimination. This cannot be measured in a toilet and since you need to know how well she is adjusting, you need to be able to monitor her litter box use. If you do want to try it - despite the problems - that is entirely up to you but I would certainly wait until all the stress has been dealt with andfshe is comfortable in her new surroundings. Completely changing her litterbox - to an entirely new method at the same time as a change will only stress her more. If you want to try it, givce her at least six months of adjustment i nthe new surroundings.

Good luck!!!!!

m8r5k
May 28th, 2007, 01:15 AM
1: My cat still makes the digging motion and continues until she is satisfied.
2: Cats have much better balance than you give them credit for. If there is a problem there are covers you can put on your seat, or even toilet extenders that make the seat wider. We keep a stool beside the toilet in case our cat wants to use it. Cats usually have to jump into there litter boxes.
3: If you watch a cat in the litter box they usually tend to put there back feet beside there front feet and get the same position as the one they use on the toilet. I can send pictures if you would like. You can quite easily see the color of there urine in toilet, although ideally you wouldn't be able to see it because it should be light in color. You can also hear them go. As for fecal matter unless it sits in the toilet for a while you should be able to observe better than if it were covered in cat litter. (I can send a pic of that too if you want;) I find it more sanitary knowing she doesn't accidentally put her feet in soiled litter. I can see a problem with a sick cat using the toilet, but they probably also have problems with a litter box too. My cat came straight home after being spayed and used the toilet she was tipsy but did just fine.
4: My cat likes to use the toilet when I'm there, so I usually see that she is peeing and pooping plenty. My grandmother in law had a cat who would use the toilet without ever having been trained. He would do it whenever the door to his litter box room got closed.

glasslass
May 28th, 2007, 01:49 AM
We used to put the cat's food up on the cat tree where DenDen3 couldn't reach it. He loved her food but the higher protein would have been bad for an older dog's kidneys. Worked fine.