Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

indoor cat ran away for a week

juniperbo
May 25th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I was wondering if anyone could give me there oppion on this one of my male indoor cats all of my cats are indoor anyway he ran away for a week I also have two other male cats which are from the same litter they are just over a year anyway I never had any problem with them fighting they would all lay together and even clean each other. Since he came back the other cats act like they don't know him and they have been fighting really bad. I was just wondering why they would be so different towards each other he was only gone a week. Would it be because he has a different smell? It doesn't seem to be the one that ran away causing the fight the other ones are starting the fights.

badger
May 25th, 2007, 07:42 PM
The one that ran away will smell different, and that can upset the others, definitely. The fact that they are fighting with each other instead of the runaway might have something to do with the pecking order, maybe the runaway is at the top and so they are less likely to go after him, even if he's the one who smells different.

If your cats are not neutered, this would make their reaction even stronger. If he got together with a female, they would know that too, just from his smell. If they are not neutered, please have it done, they will be much less likely to run off and get hurt, and won't be contributing more kittens to the hundreds of stray cats out there. Also they will be healthier.

If the fighting is getting out of hand, separate them temporarily. You could also give the runaway a bath, that might help.

Maya
May 25th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Diddo everything badger said. Cats are silly that way the "runaway" just smells different now probably. Not sure if this is the greatest idea but you might try washing everyone so they are all in the same boat again. Once my kitty went to the vet for a week and when he came back his brother hissed and growled at him for a few days. Eventually they were cuddling and sleeping all cozy again.:)