Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat stuck up a hydro pole

GerryB
April 26th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Does anyone know where I can get help to get my cat down from a Hydro Pole. I have tried the Fire Department, Humane Society, Animal Services and a Tree Service business. I live in Scarborough and the poor little cat is still crying up there.

chico2
April 27th, 2004, 08:18 AM
I don't know if this is a joke or not(a bad one!),but someone must be able to help...they are not going to let him starve up there or fall down.
I am almost certain he will eventually find a way down by himself,but a hydro-pole is difficult for them,trees are no problem.
What about Toronto Hydro? Or call City TV,the Toronto Star or The Sun,things happen fast if the media is involved.

Luba
April 27th, 2004, 09:10 AM
If someone tries to take the cat down it will/could panic. Try not to bring attention to the situation IMHO

I've unfortunately had the unhappy experience of seeing this come to a horrifying ending.

IF maybe hydro can use a cherry picker to get at the cat for you this may be okay but again, they usually do come down themselves.

Esp if they have front claws.

Bill & Bob
April 27th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Yup, they need front claws to do that. I've seen a cat back down a hydro pole from top to bottom. If it's up there in the first place, it must have front claws. I don't know what to say, other than cats usually find their own way out of that situation. I know that when I got stuck up a tree when I was a kid, I usually ended up crying for a while and eventually figuring out how to get down.
Might be a good human/pet interest story for the local news. Call one of the smaller stations. They usually have more spots to fill than the larger ones.

melanie
April 27th, 2004, 05:14 PM
surely this is a joke, i dont know what a hydro pole is but im assuming it is like a telephone pole. im not being mean but is this cat a little stupid or what?? wont it just come down when it is hungry, it got itself up there cant it get itself down, surely it will figure it out?? I just dont understand.....and do you know what, i have never really believed the old stories of the fireman climbing a tree to get a cat down but now maybe it is true....... i suggest you get a dog, they dont climb poles :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

woodbyter
April 27th, 2004, 05:39 PM
I have seen a few situations where a cat got up a pole and did not know how to come down-got scared whatever.
Usually there is someone who will assist. Tree trimming firms are very good at this especially if you call a local TV station to cover the event and their trucks can get on camera.
If it is a high tension wire pole then the power co. should be called.
Most often the more attention called to the situation the faster it is resolved.
Get sympathy on the side of the cat-tell them a 200 pound dog was chasing it.and it had to escape by going up the pole..... :D ..LOL

chico2
April 27th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Woodbyter,as usual :D :D :D :D
Before I knew much about coons,I once called the firedepartment to get a coon out of my tree,who was being attacked by crows.They had a good laugh,the coon had made himself comfy for the day and came down by himself at night.
After having watched and fed coons for a while I now know a bit more about them and their habits.
Oh and I did a bad thing,I stopped feeding them one summer,when I realized I had a BIG family of coons,about 18 of them...so,what started with a cute little female and her babies,ended up in coon mayhem in my backyard :D
Oh well,nothing to do with Hydro-Poles,I certainly hope the little guy will come down.The danger is if his terrified,he could be there for a looong time if nothing is done and maybe even fall :(

woodbyter
April 28th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Any luck getting kitty down?
Need status update.
WB
:)

woodbyter
April 28th, 2004, 03:29 AM
You must not have grown up in the country. Coons are more prolific than bunnies or so it seems.
I can imagine the firemen having a good laugh. Coons sleep during the day and roam at night. We have them all over the place here. Little rascals will get into garbage cans and will literally reason how to get around complicated locking systems and gate latches. I had one the learned to open a snap latch to get to his favorite treat(floating fish food) I keep in a metal garbage can with a chain and snap hook on the lid in one of my barns, by the pond.
I finally gave up trying to out smart them and just left the top off so they could eat what they wanted. They don't eat that much but what would happen is they would work the latch loose-knock the lid off onto the concrete floor in the middle of the night and scare all the roosting ducks and chickens and then set off the dogs barking. If you can't beat em -- join em...
In the country coons roam a large area (several square miles) so you will see them for awhile then they move on like gypsies, and you'll see them next year...

chico2
April 28th, 2004, 07:43 AM
No,WB I was born and bred in Stockholm a somewhat big city,but was meant to be a country-bumpkin :D
Sweden does not have coons,we call them"Wash-bears" and over the years I,ve sent several pictures of them to a friend.
I had a great time feeding them and loved watching them,but had to be fair to the neighbors,who are already up in arms because I feed the birds..and other creatures :D
The coons still come visiting though and eat whatever is leftover from the birds and squirrels.

GerryB
July 29th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Just to let you know the cat did get down on his own eventually.
I think he jumped to a nearby tree branch which broke his fall. He was OK with just a couple of scratches.
Sorry for not replying sooner.

chico2
July 29th, 2007, 07:48 AM
GerryB,wow it's been a long time:laughing: I hope the kitty did not stay there for 3yrs:cat:
Joke aside,glad he made it:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
July 29th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Whew! Well that's a relief! When I saw the date on the thread I was wondering how come it was suddenly at the top of the list again! :p But I'll take good news and a happy ending no matter how late it comes! :thumbs up A good way to start off a Sunday! :D Thanks for posting back, GerryB.