Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possible cyanuric acid in Iams dry food.

SableCollie
May 24th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Itchmo just posted this:
Itchmo has learned that a toxicology test reported the presence of cyanuric acid in an opened bag of what is alleged to be Iams Large Breed dry dog food.

According to the report obtained by Itchmo, the results have been certified by a forensic toxicologist. We have obtained a copy of the toxicology report and you can see for yourself. We have remove personal information for privacy reasons and a correct lot number was obtained.

We have contacted Iams and were waiting on their response. Iams Large Breed does not list rice protein concentrate or wheat gluten as ingredients.

We cannot stress this point enough: This test was performed on a sample from an opened bag. We do not know if this is an isolated case of contamination before or after the sale, or if it is widespread.

This information requires verification and we are asking for your help.

Itchmo is asking you to find an unopened 20 lb. bag of Iams Large Breed dry dog food that matches the lot number: 260608 70574173 F4 US30940 with the expiration date of 6/26/08.

If you find an unopened bag, please email us at tips@itchmo.com and we will provide further instructions. If its the right bag, we will pay for the cost of the bag of food, shipping and testing. There will be no cost to you.

If an unopened bag is found and tested, we will release the results as soon as they become available regardless of the outcome.

technodoll
May 24th, 2007, 02:58 PM
so are we allowed to say that this food contains "poison"? :eek: :yell:

clm
May 24th, 2007, 03:20 PM
You could say that that particular open bag does. :)

Cindy

RolandsMom
May 24th, 2007, 04:10 PM
*sigh* thats all i can think of to say.

SableCollie
May 24th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I would say that "There is a possibility that certain bags of a dog food which is alleged to be Iams brand may have somehow been possibly contaminated with what is said to be cyanuric acid." :D

But seriously, this pet food contamination/recall thing is getting scary. My dog is on 100% homemade now, but I certainly can't cook for all the shelter animals, and every time I feed them I think "could this food be killing them?" :sad:

gomez
May 24th, 2007, 10:56 PM
this could always a case of someone poisoning that one bag for whatever twisted reason...

remember the Tylenol scare?

erykah1310
May 24th, 2007, 11:01 PM

remember the Tylenol scare?

No:eek: When???

Maya
May 25th, 2007, 01:39 AM
This bag was extra low quality I guess.:p

The tylenol scare was quite some time ago wasn't it? Like ten or more years now.

wmarcello
May 25th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Is it really that hard to go out and test a few more unopened bags? Nobody in their right mind would buy already opened products at a grocery store and believe them to be completely safe, so I don't understand the concern.

wmarcello
May 25th, 2007, 07:26 AM
No:eek: When???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tylenol_Crisis_of_1982

gomez
May 25th, 2007, 08:59 AM
yikes '82 - I guess I really dated myself with that reference, eh?

Maya
May 25th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Yikes I didn't realize it was that long ago, I was thinking more like 92.

SableCollie
May 25th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Is it really that hard to go out and test a few more unopened bags
The bag was brought to the lab by what is assumed to be a private individual. The bag was already opened for whatever reason, could have been someone had opened it and started feeding it to their pet, could be someone opened it to tamper with the product. That is why itchmo is asking people to please look in stores for an unopened bag with the same lot number, and then itchmo will pay to have it tested. Right now they do not know if it is just one bag, or a problem with the whole lot.

SableCollie
May 31st, 2007, 02:05 PM
Update: Itchmo was able to find 2 unopened bags from the same lot as the contaminated bag. They have sent the bags to an independent lab for testing, and they won't have the results for about 2 weeks. They are trying to find out whether the whole lot of food was contaminated, or whether the one opened bag that tested positive had been tampered with.

I will continue checking itchmo (http://www.itchmo.com) for updates, and if I find out anything I will post here.

Let's hope it was only that one bag that was tainted. :fingerscr

TeriM
May 31st, 2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the update SC :thumbs up .

SableCollie
June 12th, 2007, 04:16 PM
From itchmo: After a report of cyanuric acid being found in a sample of what was reported to be Iams Large Breed dry dog food, Itchmo readers help locate 2 bags that matched the lot number of the alleged food. Our multiple tests have yielded inconclusive results.

We shipped out one bag to Midwest Labs and had it tested for melamine and cyanuric acid. The lab results came back negative for both items. We contacted Accutrace, who had Expertox test the original, opened sample again and confirmed that it was positive. They also added that the levels of cyanuric acid detected was 78 ug/g.

As a reference measure, we sent a bag of Iams Large Breed dry dog food with a different number to Expertox via Accutrace and it tested negative for both substances.

Expertox believes the discrepancy is due to the different methods of testing.

We still have one more unopened bag. We will continue to look for an independent lab that will test for cyanuric acid using the same method as Expertox.

Itchmo has also contacted the FDA regarding any updates to their investigation and we hope to hear from them soon.

Argh, this is frustrating! :frustrated: I'm still watching for "conclusive" results.