Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone here have experience with Homeschooling?

Skryker
May 24th, 2007, 10:16 AM
We're considering pulling our daughter out of her school and homeschooling her next year. There's lots of reasons, but I personally hit a breaking point last night, when she was telling me that she won't miss any work in her classes today (she's got a display booth in the school's multicultural festival) because they're just watching movies in her classes. Well, this is now the second week in a row that that's pretty much what they're doing, watching movies. :mad: C'mon, this is Grade 9! But the kicker was having her geography teacher say to her and her partner "Oh, yeah, you guys are the only ones doing anything from the Netherlands!" when their booth is about Scotland!!!:yell: Yes, her geography teacher thinks Scotland is part of the Netherlands. When they looked confused, she corrected herself to say "I mean Europe". Um, still not quite right, there, teach! Try again!

Like I said, that was just the cherry on top of a mound of whipped cream of disgrace on top of sundae of indifference and ineptitude. (Must stop before I fill pages with venting!). In essence, I no longer want my kid in a school where they celebrate coming in 678th out of a ranking of 719 schools because the school improved from the previous year-yup, getting a 3.5 out of 10 instead of a 3 is worth a big celebration, right? :rolleyes: I don't want the poor kid to be completely overwhelmed when she gets to college or university because she never got taught half of what the professors will expect her to know.

So I'm looking into the requirements for homeschooling in my area. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences or advice for me? Thanks!

badger
May 24th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I have a friend who is home-schooling her daughter, aged fifteen. It was the daughter's choice - she's a brilliant musician and practices 3-4 hours a day. Her child is incredibly motivated and was already a good student. So really it depends on your daughter, if she can set her own goals and work relatively independently towards them, plus has the discipline to allocate so many hours a day to book work or other academic projects (which can be skewed to her interests, that's the beauty of it).

My friend is closely involved, making sure she has the right materials and tutoring if she needs it (such as in math), but it's really up to the student to make it work. He daughter still sees her friends and has outside interests so staying in touch with her peer group is not difficult. I think in order to get a diploma, she has to write a few exams in grade 11 and grade 12.

There's tons of material out there for homeschoolers, online support groups for parents and kids, etc. The fundamentalist Christian gang are no longer in the majority; lots of people like you, who are more motivated by the quality of education provided, are making this choice.

Google 'homeschooling Ontario', I'll bet there's websites out there that will help you and your daughter decide yay or nay.

Skryker
May 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks, badger! I've been looking at various sites this morning, and I see lots of resources, which is great news. There's plenty of on-line courses for credit, too, so I could have her completing the curriculum and earning her High School diploma that way, with much of the sort of structure she's already used to.

She's not always the most driven of children, lol, but she will readily and happily research and read up on anything that catches her interest. I have the luxury of being able to maybe have her here at the store with me all day, working on a computer in my office space. That way, she's sure to be doing her work instead of playing on-line. :rolleyes:

We did talk it over at dinner last night, and she's receptive to the idea. She knows that she can still hang out with friends after school and weekends, and she's really, truly bored at school 90% of the time. I think if we added the carrot of music lessons, it would be pretty agreeable to her. She's not even interested in rejoining the school band next year because they aren't doing anything new, and it's become boring to her, as well. Now, that is a real shame, because she loves music and seems to have talent. I'm thinking it might be far better for her to have the one-on-one of private lessons.

Well, at least we have the summer to consider it. :shrug:

badger
May 24th, 2007, 11:51 AM
So you take what interests her and together create some kind of reasonable curriculum. From what I hear there's a great deal of freedom, which most teachers have no chance of exploring because classes are too big and behavioural/learning issues too numerous. I feel sorry for teachers these days, society seems to pile alot of responsibility on them. Huge subject!

Skryker
May 24th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I know, the teachers get burnt out so easily. I've talked to some of my daughter's teachers about what goes on in the class room, and I feel for them. They want to teach and to help the eager students but most of their time is taken up by other stuff instead. And you can only fight against the current for so long before you get tired out. They don't seem to get much support from above and they bear the brunt of the unhappy parents, too.

The more research I'm doing here, the more I think homeschooling might be a good experience for my kid.

Prin
May 24th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Is private school out of the question? My man's aunt and uncle pulled their kids out of public and put them into private because the public schools were too slow. I don't know how it works in Ontario, but here you can basically pick whichever school you want, regardless of district... It would help if you could do that...

For home schooling, the only thing I have a problem with is the lack of exposure to different teaching methods as well as different cultures, ideologies, views, etc. If the exposure isn't enough, when she gets to university, she'll be shocked and won't fit in (and might have trouble with the profs)... But I'm just generalizing. :shrug: :o

Skryker
May 24th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Hee hee! She's been exposed to a wide variety of viewpoints and such already...there's not really anything taboo for discussion in our household, plus her bio-Mom's family are an interesting mix of lifestyles, ect. We're way liberal in our views on religion and such. Plus, there's on-line places like this.

Put it this way-when, by the age of 10, you've dealt with figuring out that Nanna's "friend" is much more than that, and your Mom (her bio-Mom, that is,not me;)) has been involved with a transgendered individual going through gender reassignment therapy and surgery, as well as the fall out from messy divorces all around you and a paranoid schicophrenic cousin, you're kind of open-minded and shock-proof. :o It's a wonder the poor kid isn't completely dysfunctional. Oh, yeah, and then you go to the "normal" parents' to live, where you only have to deal with anxiety, agoraphobia, and your Dad has a stroke at the age of 31, and you find out your parents are Pagan-I think she's got exposure down.

I don't think there even is a private school in Cornwall.

Prin
May 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM
LOL, yep I think that's enough views.:D

Just ship her to Montreal for private school, and I'll come live with you guys. :D

Seriously, it might be a good idea since you have access to so many books and things... :)

Skryker
May 24th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Ha, ha! Do Jemma and Boo come, too? :D

I think I've got source material for English lit covered anyways. ;)

Prin
May 24th, 2007, 12:12 PM
She can always come here to learn biology... We have at least two biologists on here...

We can have a thread: Biology 101.:D

Skryker
May 24th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Hey, yeah! The Pets.ca homeschoolin' thread! Let's see-we've got doctors, nurses, vets, bookkeepers, people involved in government, what else? I'm sure I'm missing tons of occupations here.

Maybe we can frankenstein my kid into the ultimate Animal Rescue Worker/nutritionist/lobbyist for animal welfare/fundraiser person. :D

Prin
May 24th, 2007, 12:20 PM
hehe, brainwashing central...:laughing:

Maya
May 24th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I think in certain situations homeschooling can be much better than public school if enough resoures are available. E.g. the music lessons, friends and meeting new people. Ideally I think there should be access to good teachers on a regular basis. There is nothing more frustrating than working on your own and getting stuck without help available right away.

My b/f went to a rich private arts school for gifted children for a few years. They really allowed and encouraged each child to pursue and excel in thier strengths. I would have preferred this over the "free school" and "home schooling" I recieved. However not many people can afford it. Homeschooling is still probably better than public in many cases imo. If you do pursue it I would get in touch with others that are also homeschooling. That way if you run into challenges with it you can get support/ideas.

wdawson
May 24th, 2007, 06:35 PM
:laughing:

homeschooling.....i have a hard enough time getting them to leave the home for school:D

Skryker
May 24th, 2007, 07:03 PM
:rolleyes: I know-that's one of the cons, as far as I can see-do we really want to do anything to encourage a teenager to spend even more time in the house, on the computer? :laughing:

wdawson
May 24th, 2007, 07:09 PM
unlike the parents:rolleyes: :D

Skryker
May 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM
:o Guilty as charged! Too much computer time for me. But not all of it is at home, after all-I'm at the store for 8 hours a day, you know. :angel:

:D

wdawson
May 24th, 2007, 07:21 PM
:laughing:

nice try