Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I just love cats that's all

BlackRainbow
May 24th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Hi, I'm a cat nut who has a drream of being that crazy old cat lady with 100 cats that circles around in urban legends.

Anyway, I am in Korea now where cats are treated rather poorly (koreans don't like cats as a rule, and they run wild here in the streets). But not to get anyone depressed, I won't go into some of the things they do with unwanted cats.

I have personalyl rescued 9 cats so far, though two VERY young kittens died. I am very proud of one though. She was 3 1/2 weeks old when I found her huddling outside in the cold in a cage outside a pet shop. I was so appaled I bought her on the spot and gave her to a friend. One night he got home and the cat was sprawled on the bed, paralysed and having obvious trouble breathing,. Her brother, who I also rescued was in the ssame state.

We found a 24 hour clinic and rushed them there. Quick oxygen treatment and attempts to get an iv in didn't work. Eventually they got an iv in the female. But the vet had serious doubts they would live. SO serious that she recommended I take them home instead of spending money to have a nurse watch them all night.

I stayed up all night with those two, sitting at my computer, with them pressed against my beating heart wrapped in a warm blanket. Checking hte iv every so often to make sure it was running well. The boy was definately not going to make it. He obvously had brain damage and mercifully passed way at 7:30 that morning. I never moved all night. Not even to go to the bathroom.

It took a couple of days before she was well enough to be without constant care, and lost part of her ear in the process, but she lived. ANd is still living happily today with the other three cats I gave to my friend.

But that's me. I'll do anything for a cat :)

Tara

badger
May 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Welcome to the board. As a certified crazy cat lady (and ready for rehab:p ), I feel qualified to say that you are clearly on the road to full cccl status :)

Sad for you to live in a place where the well-being of animals is treated with such scorn. In fact, there are rumours that even here in Montreal we are not exempt from such activities. To slaughter and eat cats and dogs, who are endowed with high levels of consciousness and even emotional capacities, is ignorant and cowardly, no argument will persuade me otherwise.

As a matter of fact, rescue is more than saving a few lives, it is actually a CIVILIZING activity.