Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Walking My Puppy(who recently started biting)

m8r5k
May 23rd, 2007, 09:57 PM
How much can i walk my 6 month old rottweiler without giving him future joint problems. Right now he walk 2 times each for 1/2 an hour, it doesn't seem like enough.

Ford Girl
May 24th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Dazy is high energy, so I exercised her daily, shes' 8 months now, I was told was to keep an eye on it - there are clear sign or tiredness, muscle pain, fatigue, we kinda do it day by day - hard play with another dog one day followed by a calmer walk on leash the next day, followed by off leash action, day off, hard play, day care..etc...she did have growing pains one night after a hard play in the colder weather, we let her recoop for 3 days, and after 5 days of camping, she hasn't been exercised since Monday, tonight she has a play date with another golden her age....as far as what they reccomend medically, the info I found varies and contridicts itself, so I read her body language...I definitly know when she needs more exercise or when she needs a break!

tenderfoot
May 25th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Better to do 3 short walks than 1 long one.

You want to replicate nature. This puppy would be playing hard for about 20-30 minutes and then crash for a good nap while his muscles refueled themselves, then he's up and at it again. So short spurts of exercise are whats called for. If you wait until he is showing signs of exaustion you have waited too long.

Don't forget mental activity is just a tiring as physical and has great benefits to boot.

m8r5k
May 28th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Thank you for your replies. I think we got it figured it out now. He was biting at my husband but since he started feeding him 2 of his meals Blaze has become more gentle with him. As for the walking when he pulls we turn around and walk the other way. it works really well.

tenderfoot
May 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I am confused - the posting I read was asking about how much exercise to give a day. I must have missed the biting and leash manners part of it.