Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

where to feed my cat in a dog/cat house?

crazyforcats
May 23rd, 2007, 10:56 AM
I've have only ever had cats, until recently. We now have a dog too. I was wondering how others who have multi-species households manage meal areas. Water is always left down for the pets. I have been feeding my cat downstairs away from the dog, but it is also far from the kitchen and general family areas. Due to recent health issues, I'd like my cat's food to be more available to him, and more convenient for me to serve and monitor. At the same time, it needs to be out of reach of the dog - who inhales the cat's food in a fraction of a second. Our puppy is fairly small - approx. 11-lb shih-tzu cross. What do others do in a cat/dog house, where the cat's food needs to be accessible to kitty at all times.

clm
May 23rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
I keep the cats food on the kitchen table. Outside cat food is on top of one of the patio tables. Dry cat food and water also available on top of one of the dressers in the master bedroom. Have to keep it out of dog reach for sure.

Cindy

Skryker
May 23rd, 2007, 11:15 AM
I tied a loop around the bedroom closet doorknob so that the door only opens enough for the cat to get in and out-her food and water dish are in there so the dogs can't get at it. I put a hook into the wall beside the closet door. Works well.

jessi76
May 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
I have a side table in my dining room that I've devoted to the cats. it's under a nice window with birdfeeders right outside, and I keep their food/water dish there, and a small basket where I keep their treats & toys. they can eat in peace, the dog can't get the food, and the table provides a nice jump up point for the window also.

bendyfoot
May 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
We have three cats and two dogs. We put all the animals on a twice-a-day feeding schedule, so we don't have to worry about the cats losing their food mid-day to the dogs. Everyone learned pretty quickly that they had to eat right away, or lose their food. This has been the key to dinnertime harmony in our house.
We feed all the animals downstairs; the dogs each have their own feeding stations in the kitchen, two of the cats eat on the floor in the dining room adjacent to the kitchen, and one on the kitchen table.

m8r5k
May 23rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
I love the idea about the closet nob being tied. You might also try a safety gate blocking off the door to the cats room. Or have a cat door installed. For my cat i keep her food in the bathroom and the dog isn't allowed in there unless he's having a bath.