Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescue dog eyes are pink!

kascmaly
May 23rd, 2007, 05:09 AM
I rescued a Lab/Retriever mix under a year ago and she has recently sustained a cut to the pad on one of her feet.. A pretty serious cut but it has healed up nicely. Also we have ticks.. *blech* She's about 4 1/2 years old by the looks of her teeth.. Lately the whites in her eyes have been turning pink.. Not quite red yet.. But turning pink. Is there a cause for this? Should I be concerned?
Thank you much!
Kas

Hunter's_owner
May 23rd, 2007, 07:07 AM
Has she seen a vet yet? That is where I would start.
Also, if there is a chance that she has been bitten by a tick, you may want to check out whether she is at risk of any tick-borne diseases.

hazelrunpack
May 23rd, 2007, 07:46 AM
I'd definitely have that checked out by a vet. Might be something as simple as allergies, but it might be something more serious. A vet should be able to pin it down for you, and give you some suggestions for treatment.

Does she seem itchy at all?

Melinda
May 23rd, 2007, 08:38 AM
dogs do get "pink eye". it's not contagious like in children, but you should have the vet check for a scratch on the eye, it will effect both eyes and drops will be given for it.

kascmaly
May 23rd, 2007, 09:40 AM
I'd definitely have that checked out by a vet. Might be something as simple as allergies, but it might be something more serious. A vet should be able to pin it down for you, and give you some suggestions for treatment.

Does she seem itchy at all?

Could she have developed an allergy.. Because we haven't changed anything in our home at all. I used a new tick shampoo last night.. But this has been ongoing since Saturday night and I check her eyes everynight.. The shade continues to get darker. I'll take her to the vet of course. I am just one of those people who has to know now--y'know?

Also is there a site like webmd.com for dogs? with symptom checkers? That'd be awesome!!

Kas

LittleMissLevi
May 23rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Sounds like it might be an eye infection. Is there any discharge? and if so what colour is it?

kascmaly
June 3rd, 2007, 03:51 AM
There is no discharge.. My vet said everything is fine. The red/pink comes and goes now. It's there most of the time, but lately I have seen it has been white again. I checked tonight before work and--sure enough--it's pink again. My vet didn't seem worried at all.. Didn't even hesitate. No ideas on what it could be either. Time for a second opinion I say. Will be doing so this week. They are kind of droopy now too.. Like the older dogs who are just getting up there in age and their eyes droop? Kinda like that.. But not quite so severe. could this be it? I'm not sure.
My other dog has yet to have any signs of this--I am watching her closely. So it's evidentally not communicable.
Blah. She seems to be acting normally.. It's just upsetting to see her eyes like that. It looks so painful.
Kas

rainbow
June 3rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
Glad you're getting a second opinion. Keep us posted. :fingerscr