Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cost of spaying.....

Maxie's mom
April 26th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Hi guys 'n gals,
I just called the vet and asked for a price on getting Maxie spayed; she's five months old and I figured it was time to get her done. I was told that it would cost $137.00 plus taxes for the spaying but they won't do it until she is at least six months old and even though she is a house cat they won't consider doing it any younger. :mad: I also inquired about the cost of declawing since she is a house cat and the cost for this is $147.00 plus taxes. However if I get both things done at the same time it'll cost $197.00 plus taxes. :rolleyes: What is the average cost in your areas to have these procedures done?? Just wondering if the vet is ripping me off.... :confused:
Also, wouldn't it be alot to recover from if I did have both procedures done at the same time??? I am very confused here.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Chany
April 26th, 2004, 09:47 AM
My Abbey just got spayed last week and the bill was $200.04 but that was for a dog ( 6 months old ). I've never heard of vets s/n before 6 months. They like to do it before their first heat though. I don't know how hard it would be on her to get both done at once, but there would be some benefits, obviously the cost and she wouldn't have to have another surgery again.
Did your vet mention if it would be harder on her to have both done at once?

Lucky Rescue
April 26th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Please do not declaw your cat. Many vets will no longer do this as it is unnecessary cruelty. Here is an article you might like to read!

The truth about declawing (http://maxshouse.com/Truth%20About%20Declawing.htm)

Chany
April 26th, 2004, 10:13 AM
EW!EW!EW! L.R. that article was cruel looking. Thanks for posting that. :)
Maxie's mom please don't declaw your cat. That looked horrible! I never knew it was that serious. :(

mona_b
April 26th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Maxie's mom,that's about the same price I paid for Phoenix's spay.That was two years ago..Casper was neutered at 8 weeks old.He was adopted from our SPCA.So EVERY animal is done before they go to their new homes.. :D

Ok,I'm ready to get bashed for this...LOL

Yes Phoenix was de-clawed.And so was my previous cat Mousie of 13 years..

I tried EVERYTHING with the both of them.They wouldn't use the scratching posts.They went after the furniture and anything else they could get their claws on.I trimmed the nails.I used everything I could to deture them.Nothing and I mean nothing worked.They ripped the crap out of the blinds.And even my dads and his furniture.I lived at home at the time.I never had this problem with any of my other cats.So they never got de-clawed.Like I said,I tried everything.I had no choice.Remember,this was my dads house.And if I didn't do it,they would have had to go.And there was no way I was letting them go.I didn't have any problems with Mousie.Emotionaly or physically.Like I said,I had him for 13 years.The same with Phoenix.She is fine.I used ripped up newspaper for litter.And with Phoenix,there was a special litter I used for her.

Casper has been great.He uses his scratching post.And nothing else.Never once has he ripped up the furnitue or anything else.He uses our arms and legs instead..... :mad:

So please don't yell at me... :(

Lucky Rescue
April 26th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Yes, it is horrible! It's a mutilation performed only for convenience. I'm sure no one would condone amputating the tail of an adult dog because it knocks ornaments off tables, or extracting a dog's teeth because it chews up shoes.

But for some reason, many people see nothing wrong with cutting off the ends of a cat's toes to protect the furniture. :confused:

Anyway, I trained every one of my cats to use a scratch post. It does take time and patience, but it does work and of course, is much more humane than taking the easy way out.

Dee_petlover
April 26th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Sounds like the prices in your area is fair.

My cat is fixed but not declawed, but I have never really had a problem with scratching.

As for the debate on declawing...

I think I would rather see a cat declawed and problems avoided rather than see the cat be banned to the basement or worse..dropped off at a shelter because the owners can't take the furniture being destroyed.

Maxie's mom
April 26th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Thank you all for your input.....I WILL NOT be getting her declawed!!!!!! I read the link you added LR and to be totally honest it shocked me!! I didn't think that was what they did. I just thought the nail was removed. I am going to stick to spaying only....but I do have another question; if I clipped the tips of her toenails myself weekly, would it cause any problems?? This is what I've been doing and everything seems fine {Maxie just sits on my lap and lets me clip them} but I also thought the declawing was fine too until now. :confused:

Lucky Rescue
April 26th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Maxie'sMom - I clip my cat's nails regularly and keep them pretty short. Cat's nails are easy to cut because the quicks shows clearly through.

The best scratching posts are ones wrapped in sisal. If you get the carpet ones, then the cat learns to scratch carpet and will do so on any carpets you have in the house.

Make sure the post is high enough so the cat can extend it's body to scratch, and the post must be rock solid - cats will not use a wobbly scratch post. I have one screwed to the wall, and one bolted to the floor. You can rub catnip on it to make it more appealing.

If you see your cat start to scratch the sofa, say "NO!" and when she stops, GENTLY take her to her scratch post and move her paws on it, while praising her. She'll get the idea.:)

chico2
April 26th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Oh noooo,I read declawing and shivers went down my spine,please,please don't,not if you love your Maxie.
My former vet would not even do it,I don't know about the one who took over,but it's a horrible thing to do to a cat.
I have 3 cats all with claws,we trim them regularly,except Rockys,the vet does his.
Over the years we have been through a lot of couches and at the end decided to go for leather,cats do not like to scratch leather and even if they run and scratch it makes the leather look weathered :D
My husband built a floor to ceiling cat-tree with a 4x4 piece of wood and a few shelves,wrapped it all in leftover carpeting and heavy rope and they use it.Sure they'll try other places but a firm NO stops them.
As for spaying I don't know,neutering is $100+tax,but spaying involves a bit more,so your vet sounds reasonable.Also my vet neuters at 8 month,not before.
Please don't hurt Maxie :(

chico2
April 26th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Dee Petlover,actually I would rather see a cat go to a shelter than be declawed,if anyone needs to chop a cats toes off,they should reconsider owning a cat and get an aquarium,the furniture will be safe :D

Dee_petlover
April 26th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Chico2 Wouldn't it be nice if all those who don't take care of their cats and dogs would have thought like that before getting them!

You guys are right it isn't necessary, which is why I didn't get my cat done.
But honestly, I don't think a cat would be better off neglected or dumped either.

Sounds like Maxies mom made a decision that will make a happy kitty! :D

chico2
April 26th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Yes dee,hopefully we saved cute little Maxie :p
I might ruffle some feathers,but I feel very strongly about mutilating cats..
My cats have mostly scratched up the wood door frames and they will have to be changed before we sell the house.
We are lucky we can keep the livingroom closed most of the time,but mostly because Rocky sprays sometimes and it's the only room with carpet,but the rest of the house is a free-for-all for the cats.Even I stay out of the livingroom,prefer my little den.

Chany
April 26th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Mona_b, I'm shocked!! :eek: Nah I'm just teasing ya!! :p You probably were at the last resort and I would do that before I gave up my animal too! And you probably also didn't realize it was like an amputation so don't worry! :D

mona_b
April 27th, 2004, 08:24 AM
No chany I didn't know it was like an amputaion. :(

I know people are against it.But like I said,I did try everything.None of my other cats were de-clawed.Cause they didn't need to be.But those two were just out of hand and stubborn.Mousie was a pretty wild kitten.My mom had him.And she was trying to train him.So I took him.And tried everything.I wasn't going to give him up.So I did what I had to.10-1 if I gave him up,even to a friend,he would have ended up at the shelter.And I am sure the next person would have de-clawed him.And it was the same for Phoenix.She was a wild kitty.And I was not about to give them up.I took on the responsability to take care of them.And I did.Mousie was with me till he was 13.He was very healthy.Except for his last year.Then his health went down hill.Phoenix is a very healthy almost 3 year old.And de-clawing was not an easy way out.An easy way out would have been to dump them and let the next person deal with it.And like I said,this was in my dads house.A very old fashioned European man.Not all cats are the same.Some you can teach and some you can't.I had 2 that I couldn't.Do I regret doing it,not at all.Mousie lived a happy life till the end.And Phoenix is enjoying a happy life.And I'm sure she will continue till the end.She is my dads suckie baby.Yes my dad has her.When I moved,he would not let me take her.She's good for him.He'll be 83 this year... :) ...It upset him when I took the dogs.... :(

Maxie's mom
April 27th, 2004, 08:53 AM
I am sure that everyone has their own opinion in all areas of pets. As I stated earlier, I didn't know that they removed the tips of the cats toes. I have definitely decided that Maxie will not be declawed. That is an issue that I don't need to think about any longer. As for the spaying; how long will she be before it's all healed?? What can I expect?

Mona_b...I completely understand where you are coming from and you made a decision that was right for you at the time. The thing is that Maxie doesn't scratch furniture...I was going to do it so she [Maxie] wouldn't scratch my daughter. But I have decided that I'll continue to clip Maxie's toenails; she and my daughter are very close but they do tend to get out of hand every now and again hence the scratching. But I have to admit that they seem to have reached an understading and my daughter now knows that when Maxie's tail begins to twitch it's time to let her go.

chico2
April 27th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Mona,not many people really know what declawing is all about,if they saw the process,they would probably not do it.
I am not yelling at you,you did what you thought was right at the time.
Sometimes playing can get out of hand and not only between kids and kittens/puppies,I have the scars to prove it :D
But removing the claws leaving the kitten defenseless is not a solution.
I am sure your daughter loves Maxie,kids just have to learn when kittens/puppies have had enough and her and Maxie will have a great life,growing up together.
I was driving by a house on Sunday,two little girls were sitting in the grass,throwing this little black and white fluff-ball between them.I stopped the car(nosy as I am!!!)when I noticed it was a little puppy.
I knocked on the door and carefully,without ruffling any feathers,told the mom what the girls were doing and the mom put a stop to it,horrified..
The girls thought the puppy was having fun,after all,he looked like a little toy,but I don't think they'll do it again :eek:

Lucky Rescue
April 27th, 2004, 09:45 AM
As for the spaying; how long will she be before it's all healed?? What can I expect?

Your kitty will come home probably in the evening. She may not want anything to eat or drink that night, and will want to sleep. Put her someplace safe, and try and keep her from jumping for a few days (not easy, I know!]
She should be right back to her old self the next day.

Just check her stitches every day, to make sure the incision is not red or swollen, and try to make sure she is not licking them too much. In 10 days she will have them removed, and that's it!:)

mona_b
April 27th, 2004, 01:46 PM
When Phoenix got spayed,she was actually given the stitches that fell out on their own..Just like me when I got fixed... :D

But what I didn't know was that they also use a glue.Not sure if it's used when a spay is done.But when Casper got neutered they used a special glue.

Maxie's mom
April 27th, 2004, 06:16 PM
I hope they use the disolvable stitches...it'll be much more convenient!! We live almost three hours away from the vet. But if we have to go back in 10 days to have them removed then so be it. I just hope all goes well. Busy month next month; Maxie's getting spayed and my daughter has to have her tonsils and adenoids out. I'm waiting for a call to be fixed as well :eek: