Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Speargrass in the foot..

JanM
May 23rd, 2007, 12:14 AM
Has anyone's dog or cat had speargrass stuck in their feet? How did you get it out?

Amber had some in her foot and I took her to the vet and I'm wondering if there is something I could have put on it to draw it out..

hazelrunpack
May 23rd, 2007, 09:28 AM
Was the vet able to get it all out? :fingerscr Speargrass can be the dickens to remove...

We haven't had any firsthand experience, though--just stories from friends. They all seem to be of the opinion that a vet experienced with speargrass is your best friend if your pet gets into some.

Is Amber okay? :fingerscr

JanM
May 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks, Hazelrunpack - yes, Amber is fine - the vet got it all out. Unfortunately, I didn't even know she had it until she started to limp and all I could see was swelling so off to the puppy doctor she went.

hazelrunpack
May 23rd, 2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks, Hazelrunpack - yes, Amber is fine - the vet got it all out. Unfortunately, I didn't even know she had it until she started to limp and all I could see was swelling so off to the puppy doctor she went.

My husband asked some vets about it this morning and they all said that this is typically how people find out their pets have gotten into it. They suggest checking the paws and between the pads frequently, but sometimes the pieces are small and they're the devil to remove.

If they start causing pain or infection, a vet is your best bet.

Speargrass is nasty stuff! I'm glad to hear that Amber is okay! :highfive: I'm glad you caught it early.