Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting a 2nd Ragdoll - advice??

Maianne
May 22nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
So after much discussion, we've decided to get another Ragdoll kitten to keep us and Yoshi (male Ragdoll) company. We have a little boy kitten reserved for us (see blurry pic - sooo cute, though!), but should they be of the opposite sex instead? Yoshi will be 1 year and 1 month old by the time we take the new kitten home and both cats will be fixed. New kitten will be 12 weeks old.

Also, I've read threads on how to properly introduce a new kitten (e.g. confining new cat, introducing their scents to each other, gradually allowing physical contact, etc.) but does anyone have anything to add?

Thanks so much for all your help and patience!! :)

SableCollie
May 22nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
The opposite-sex thing doesn't seem to matter when you bring in a kitten. The kitten is absolutely adorable by the way!!!!! :lovestruck: :cloud9:

Love4himies
May 23rd, 2007, 08:32 AM
Congrats on your new cat. I love Ragdolls :lovestruck: .

ancientgirl
May 23rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
What a cute kitty! I have two fairly young ones myself and just recently had to introduce the new younger kitty Oksana (7 weeks old) to my now larger but not by much male kitty Vlad (10 weeks).

I kept her in my room all day when at work, and he was out in the living area. At night I'd put her in her carrier and put her out in the living room where Vlad could have a look at her and sniff her. I did this for a week. Then on the weekend I put one in the closet, while I held the other on the other side and allowed them to paw each other under the door. So they could at least touch one another.

By late Saturday morning I allowed them to just be together. He immediately went for her. I'm told by many friends who went through the same thing, he was establishing his dominance. After the weekend I felt comfortable leaving them both alone together. She has several hiding spots if he gets too rough. I've noticed that they now play. He still feels the need to nip at her, but he also licks her.

When he sees her sleeping, he goes to her licks her and lies down next to her. He also doesn't mind her eating out of his bowl. I have separate bowls for each but they seem to want to eat out of the others bowl. They also sometimes just sit and look at each other. Oksana will sometimes sneak up on him and swat him.

So they are getting on pretty good, and this after about a week and a half. I think Kittens are easier to introduce to each other than older cats.