Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My kitty is not well

crazyforcats
May 22nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
I took my 13-1/2 yr old kitty, Nanuk, to the vet this morning because he couldn't poop - again. This is the 3rd time in less than a year that this has happened. This time I requested bloodwork - a liver enzyme is a little high and his cholesterol was also a little high, but the vet was concerned about his BUN level. It was about 36. Now my kitty is on Fortekor tablets daily for the rest of his life. I had been giving him 1ml lactulose once a week for the poop problem. He weighed 9lbs most of his life. At an appointment a year ago he was down to 8lbs. Today he was 7lbs.

On April 27th last year I had Oracle, my feline-soul-mate of 14 years, layed to rest. :angel: He had been battling kidney disease for 3 years - there were many, many days that he was my only thought, wondering if I was prolonging his suffering for my own benefit. When the bad days started to out-number the good days I sent him to kitty heaven. And then I second-guessed myself, wondering if I had taken his life too soon. Geez - tears come to my eyes even today.

The thought of what Nanuk may have to go through in the near future tears my heart apart. I can't imagine giving him sub-q fluids on a regular basis - near the end I would have to hide the needle behind my back so that Oracle couldn't see me coming with it, or else he'd take off. Nanuk has been such a wonderful cat.

I don't think I'm asking for advice or anything - I think I just needed to vent to others who would know how I'm feeling. Thanks for listening.

bendyfoot
May 22nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you're going through such a heart-wrenching time with your baby. You sound like a very committed, dedicated mom, and I'm sure you're doing the right thing for your kitty. Hang in there, and give Nanuk some nice head scratches...

chico2
May 22nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Crazyforcats,maybe I am a bit slow,but I could not understand what the final diagnosis was for Nanuk?
Having to be on meds for the rest of his life,is not all that bad,of course we rather not medicate our cats,but if it will make him feel better,so be it.My Rocky 11yrs old went from a good 16lbs to his now 12lbs:sad: is on meds twice daily for his Thyroids,he might not live to be 20,but in the meantime the meds are making him feel better,so don't fret,it's not the end of the world for Nanuk.
I don't even know what BUN,stands for:confused:

CyberKitten
May 22nd, 2007, 05:51 PM
Sorry to hear about your kitty but I agree- being on meds is not the worst that can happen. Think about diabetics and people on chemo.

Chico, bun stands for Blood urea nitrogen and it's basically is a test that measures the amount of urea nitrogen (a breakdown product of protein metabolism) in the blood.

It's actually prett routine for humans anyway - and prob in most feline panels too since it evaluates renal - kidney function. Most renal diseases as well as some digestive aliments affect the bun level so it's a good way to find out if a cat might have renal probs.

If a med a day will help prevent future kidney troubles, I certainly would give it to any one of my cats, depending of course on their overall state of health. Many cats become accustomed to it -and your kitty might be better at coping it with another cat (They do not all act the same re injections and tend to be better than us - I think my cats hate tablets more than an injection, lol) Tho of course you can break up oral meds into the cat's food if you encounter real probs.

Maybe the cat senses your own feelings? Cats are ever so sensitive creatures? Just a thought - your other cat obviously came to hate them for some reason.

Good luck!!!! I hope your kitty will be OK. I would speak with your vet before making any concrete decisions - or even other vets who specialize in feline diseases or even renal illnesses.

crazyforcats
May 22nd, 2007, 06:15 PM
Sorry Chico2 - I am so used to watching BUN and creatinine levels in my cats' bloodwork that I didn't think to explain myself. Basically, my vet says that Nanuk has some kidney damage. I certainly don't think that giving my cat a pill every day is an issue! I'm just remembering the days when Oracle, who had kidney disease for his last 3 years, would feel so crappy that all he could do was lay on the floor and drool. He wouldn't eat - he was a grand 20 lbs most of his life, and at one point he went down to 13 - he looked so defeated (but he rebounded back and lived another 1-1/2 yrs). Other days he would race around the house like a kitten. Some days I had to give him sub-q fluid injections 3x a day, other times he'd go a week without having to be poked. And those 2am rushes to the vet because he was crashing... *sigh*. It was heart-breaking to watch my little guy feeling that way. I'm just anticipating these feelings again, for both me and Nanuk.

Prin
May 22nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :sad:

:grouphug: