Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When is kitten old enough to have run of the house?

CBCit
May 22nd, 2007, 03:06 PM
We have a 10 week old kitten and the vet recommends keeping her confined when we are not home until she is bigger. At what age would you think it is safe to leave her with the run of the house?

m8r5k
May 22nd, 2007, 03:20 PM
It really depends on the house and the kitty. If it is litter trained and your house is kitty proof it should be fine. By kitty proof i mean curtains hung tightly, plants kept up, toilet lid down.
You might want to start with closing all the doors. So she/he only has access to the main parts of the house, and her litter box

marsupial mama
May 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
we got our kitty at 8 w.o. in Feb. At first she was just in one room, then just the top half of the house (a split level with lots of doors, so we can shut areas off). I was reluctant to let her in the basment for a long time b/c the computer room in down here and I was scared someone might roll over her in one of the office-chairs-on-wheels. That was when she was VERy tiny of course.

But she's a calico and I think calicos have an aversion to closed doors and being shut out from wherever the action is. I can't remember how soon it was that she ended up with the run of the whole house but it didn't take too long.

Keeping toilet lids down was a big deal too. I really did NOT want to deal with a kitten who had taken a surprise bath. Especially since there is a tendency to forget to flush around here :rolleyes:

crazyforcats
May 22nd, 2007, 04:21 PM
I don't remember ever confining any of my cats when they were kittens - mind you, I haven't had a kitten in 13 years! Maybe it's because I've had cats my whole life, and my homes have always been somewhat cat-proof. Keeping toilet lids closed would definately be recommended with a kitten - although I always make sure mine are up because my cat likes to drink from the toilet...

jessi76
May 22nd, 2007, 04:32 PM
I confined my cat for a couple months, but only because I have another cat, older, who at first was not very accepting. Until I was 100% SURE she would not harm the kitten I kept them seperate, and the kitten confined to one room, while I wasn't home. When I was home however, I introduced her to the whole house - supervised of course. I tried to keep her in sight of me though, to be sure to correct her, and protect her, if needed. thankfully, with a gradual introduction, they got along beautifully.

clm
May 22nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
You have to watch electrical cords too, some kittens find them fun to play with and chew. I've never confined a kitten unless it was being introduced to older cats.

Cindy

Love4himies
May 23rd, 2007, 09:54 AM
I have had cats all my life and have never confined a kitten unless there was an adult cat in the house. Then the kitten was confined until I had adequate time to observe and assess how the adult reacted to the kitten. I did keep an extra kitten litter box on the main floor until the kitten reached about 4 months of age.

Make sure your kitten has adequate climbing posts/kitty condos for him/her to climb:)

ancientgirl
May 23rd, 2007, 12:39 PM
I got my first kitty when he was about 8 weeks old, and my new kitty is about that now. I didn't confine Vlad when I got him home. I had him over the weekend and made sure he knew where his litterbox was, which he used with no problem. I also put away things that he might have gotten into, or that may have fallen easily. With Oksana I kept her in my room until she and Vlad got to know each other.

Now they have run of the place. I keep my bathroom door shut, and the powder room, where the litter box is, has the toilet lid shut. They don't mess with the cords, because I've been able to deter them from wanting to go near them with a squirt bottle and some citrus spray around the area.

And I have plenty of toys for them to amuse themselves with, so they don't get into trouble.