Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! What to feed my pets? ...

SEVIIN
May 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and after the recall scare I have done nothing but look up holistic foods for my dog and cats. I have researched the ingredients and now I don't want EVER AGAIN to buy food from a store. I want to be able to look at a label and say "Hey, I know what that is" rather than "hmm, that sounds interesting".

I have found a lot of different types of all-natural foods but there is always something in it that seems wrong or someone saying it's no good. I want to switch to the raw food diet but I'm scared I'll mess something up and put either too little or too much of something in, causing my animals to get sick and die. So I found an alternative to the Raw Food diet called EVO (you can find it and it's ingredients for each line of food they offer on www.naturapet.com). It is a substitute diet for the raw food plan but in dry kibble and canned food (the canned food is 95% duck, lamb etc). Only thing that worries me is that there is Garlic in the dog kibble. Now all my life I have been told that Garlic is good for dogs but now that I have done all this research the past couple months, I have found more bad than good about it. This is a direct quote from one site basically explaining exactly what I've been finding out about garlic for dogs...

"Garlic contains a chemical called Thiosulphate. The blood-cleansing properties that make garlic sulphides beneficial to humans can damage the blood cells of animals. This can result in anything from mild anemia to major bursting of the blood cells leading to death."

They say garlic isn't as bad as Onions but one should never feed a dog Garlic, Onions, Grapes or Raisins. So what the heck am I supposed to choose??? Can someone please help? :) Thanks!

Scott_B
May 22nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evo is a great kibble, but its just that, a kibble (or canned food). Its not raw. Its cooked. Nothing raw about it. But it is a quality food. I feed Evo to my three cats. BUT ITS NOT RAW! :p

I think you'll be hard pressed to find any food that doesnt contain garlic. I believe its about the amount of garlic. I wouldnt worry too much about it.

As for the raw diet. Its simple. You can make it more difficult by worrying about amounts and suppliments and stuff, or you can feed a variety of meats, with and without bone, and organs. You feed a variety over time and you'll cover your bases.

SEVIIN
May 22nd, 2007, 12:07 PM
Hey Thanks Scott!

So it's not raw huh! lol :p I know but is it even considerable to the raw food diet tho? Cuz it does say on their site that EVO dog food provides all the key nutrition received from a raw food diet with the benefits of modern research and that's it's what to feed if you can't feed raw. LOL it's all very confusing but thanks a bunch, I feel a lot better about the Garlic thing. Growing up my dogs had mild amounts of Garlic and my little dog lived till she was 17 so I can't see a huge problem I guess. It would probably have to be in larger amounts. The fact that you feed your cats EVO makes it helpful too. Thanks again!

SEVIIN
May 22nd, 2007, 12:09 PM
:eek: hehe, I posted twice cuz I didn't know where to put it. Still finding my way around the forum. I like it here, some great advice! Thanks Scott~

technodoll
May 22nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
Evo is just a regular kibble, without the grains... there are many grain-free kibbles (and canned foods) available today from holistic petfood companies. but, as scott said, it's not raw and has none of the benefits of raw. some dogs do great on Evo, others don't... if you search the archives you'll see a few threads on the subject, and member's feedback on the food.

good luck! :highfive:

Scott_B
May 22nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah, its just a marketing ploy to make you think it has something to do with raw. For someone who may not feel comfortable feeding raw, they see this and go wow, its just as good. Nah..marketing at its best.