Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Problems with DVP Duck and Potato

coppperbelle
May 22nd, 2007, 07:18 AM
A few people on another message board I visit have dogs that have become quite ill recently. One person's dog actually has died. The three have the DVP food in common and are now wondering if the illnesses are related.

Anyone else hear about a problem wtih this food? I suppose it could be coincidental but.....just in case I thought I would do some checking here.

Lukka'sma
May 22nd, 2007, 08:40 AM
OMG. When will this all end!!! I don't feed Lukka DVP other than treats (duck and potato) I just might have to stop that too until I read further on this new problem.

celticfox
May 22nd, 2007, 03:20 PM
Oh, how awful. :sad:

Back in December I posted about my negative experience with DVP Duck and Potato. Our dog Raven started vomiting bile while on it and slowly went downhill from there. We ended up taking her to the vet just before Christmas because she became extremely lethargic and completely stopped eating. A bunch of tests were done and everything came back normal. It was a couple of weeks before she was herself again and I swear her appetite hasn't been the same since.

Of course, we're not 100% sure if the food was the culprit but I'm convinced it was because I tried the dogs on DVP Fish and Potato two months later (very bad idea :rolleyes:) and Raven started vomiting bile again. Raven has never experienced vomiting with any other foods we've had her on.

Here is the original post I made:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=34272

And the one in February:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=37101

Prin
May 22nd, 2007, 06:57 PM
I haven't heard anything. I hope they advised the company. :o :sad:

coppperbelle
May 22nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
Yes, they have advised the company. The company is investigating. Hopefully they will be upfront and honest with their findings. Two of the dogs are hopefully on their way to recovery but still not back to normal.

Heathr6913
May 23rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
grrr i JUST started my dog on this a month ago. jhe is doing SO well on it but now this has got me freaking out. he is allergic to brewers yeast, wheat, and barley and he cant eat the grain free becuase they are too rich for him. now i dont know what other foods i have left to try now. he has been on nutro chicken meal rice and oatmeal but im not crazy about that food....

geisha
May 24th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Hi there,
You may want to try Go! Wild Salmon & Oatmeal. Another food that is simple is California Natural Lamb & Rice. If possible it may be a good idea to start rotating foods just in case one gets recalled or is not available. Good Luck this is so frustrating!! :fingerscr

celticfox
May 26th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I second the rec for Go! Salmon and Oatmeal. It's a single source protein and grain food and our dog Raven (who has loads of food sensitivities and is seriously finicky to boot) is doing very well on it as is our senior dog Rusty. I add a bit of fresh canned salmon to their meals and they gobble it up with gusto. :D

Heathr6913
May 26th, 2007, 12:39 PM
thanks for the suggestion. unfortunately, Go! natural isn't available anywhere around me. pretty much everything else is except that and Orijen..

gypsy_girl
May 26th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Where are you located?

Heathr6913
May 27th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Goldens4Ever
May 27th, 2007, 05:28 PM
WOW :sad: This is really unfortunate. Although, I am glad I came across this thread, as I was considering rotating Goldie to the DVP Duck & Potato for a few months, for variety. She ate it for a few weeks last year & it help to clear up some allergy problems. I also was going to purchase them another bag of the Duck & Potato Biscuits-NOT ANYMORE! :sad:

Oh well, here's what I got them instead. Check them out! Scroll down (it's at the bottom of the page); it's a mixture of wild elk, wild venison, & bison. I looked over all the treats on this website, & this one looked the best to me because there is nothing additional added-just meat. I don't think I'll ever buy any other treats again, other than the ones I may make myself.

Love Your Pet Wild Game Jerky

http://store.landofpuregold.com/sogood.htm

geisha
May 27th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Wellness has 2 single source protein/carb kibbles, venison & rice, duck & rice.
California Natural has Lamb & Rice, & Herring & Sweet Potato but it contains barley & oatmeal. Can you ship dogfood across the border? Petcurean makes Go! Wild Salmon & Oatmeal. petcurean.com. Good Luck:fingerscr

Heathr6913
May 28th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Wellness has 2 single source protein/carb kibbles, venison & rice, duck & rice.
California Natural has Lamb & Rice, & Herring & Sweet Potato but it contains barley & oatmeal. Can you ship dogfood across the border? Petcurean makes Go! Wild Salmon & Oatmeal. petcurean.com. Good Luck:fingerscr

I think I will try the california natural...I can't bring myself to pay that much for the Wellness...it just doesnt seem like the ingredients are worth that price! WAYYYYY too rice heavy to be paying almost 50 dollars for a 26lb bag! I do like the go wild salmon but I don't want to worry about having to have it shipped. In case I were to not get it in time...he is not good at sudden switches with food. It would be a disaster. Thanks for the suggestions!

Edited to add: guess I can't try the california natural because of the barley. that would be disastrous! I think I am going to use the Natural balance fish and sweet potato.

geisha
May 28th, 2007, 01:37 PM
California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato has barley & oatmeal. Lamb meal & Rice doesnot!! Sorry I can be a bit unclear!!!:footinmouth:
Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Salmon has Sweet Potato & potato followed by salmon & salmon meal. This means it probably has more sweet potato & potato than salmon. Email Natural Balance and find out the calorie count. :fingerscr

MERI
June 2nd, 2007, 09:24 AM
I only can confirm that we have problems with DVP duck & potato. After DVP venison & rice recall I started to give Bilbo Duck formula and he does just awfull on it. The poop is soft:yuck: , vomit in the morning ... And it's more than month.
So yesterday I bought welness venison and rice. I'm not too happy about ingredients, there is more rice than venison, but I'm going to add welness 95% venison canned. Will see. Too bad for DVP:sad: