Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Iams and Science Diet

kascmaly
May 22nd, 2007, 06:48 AM
:sorry: I can't seem to find this information anywhere..

I stopped feeding my dogs Science Diet since I read the ingredient "corn" I've constantly heard this is bad for your animals.

However, I am from a small area in Nebraska and my options for finding dogfood are limited.. We have places like Bomgaars and Walmart and a small company called Sundance that sells pretty much what Bomgaars and Walmart sell. If I can't trust my vet to provide healthy food for my animals who can I trust?

By reading some of your posts I've concluded that Iams is a bad dog food. I want to switch my dogs to something healthier, while maintaining a good budget for my family. Money isn't strapped.. But I don't want to spend $100 or more a month on my dog food. Our groceries only surmount $200 a month.

Is there a good alternative for Iams dog food? What is a good dog food? There are so many different threads it's hard to understand or really catch on to what people are saying with all your lingo and all :sorry: Our doggies do get table scraps which I hated up until recently. Now I don't see the harm. I eat it.. Why can't they? What could the harm possibly be.

:sorry: again if this is posted a bazillion times.. I'm new and very unsure of how to get information here.

Thank you
Kas

Scott_B
May 22nd, 2007, 06:55 AM
Well, I like Canidae or Innova Products.

go here http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html and do a search for local store that sells Canidae.

As well here for innova products http://www.naturapet.com/where-to-buy/default.asp

Iams & science diet are poor diets.

Prin
May 22nd, 2007, 06:52 PM
I agree. Solid Gold, Fromm, Wellness are ok too and might be more readily available.

If you'd like, you can always go see what's available and come back here and list them and we'll help you pick. :)

kascmaly
May 23rd, 2007, 02:41 AM
That is so strange.. I always heard they were good.. I must be from hickville or something.

It really irks me that I can't trust my vetrinarian. Makes me want to go and find somewhere that's not sold out by Science Diet.

When I change their food--Do I mix the two first to introduce them? My schnauzer is really picky. I'm not sure if she'll be so accepting of new food.

Thank you!
Kas

coppperbelle
May 23rd, 2007, 06:24 AM
The best way to change a dogs food is to do it gradually. For days 1-3 feed 75% old -25% new food, days 4-6 50%old-50% new, days 7 - 10 25% old- 75% new. On day 11 100% new food.

SEVIIN
May 23rd, 2007, 08:32 AM
I personally don't trust IAMS or any store brand food after the recall and I'm not alone. Anything that has unnatural product in it is unsafe period. In the wild animals eat animals, that's it! When was the last time you saw a wolf running around eating crops or popping open a pack of pills to get some other useless fix. Go with Scott_B and find your dog a reasonably priced Holistic (all-natural) food. The risks of disease will be reduced drastically as well. Then you don't have to worry about what and if you are feeding him/her something that is potentially dangerous like all the chemicals that store brands use to make them last longer.

kascmaly
May 23rd, 2007, 10:34 AM
Will do.. Now I just have to convince my fiancee to let me change the dog food--just one more time. The only dealer of those two dog foods is more than an hour away too.. But my brother lives in one of the towns and my sister in the other.. I can always use the excuse to go visit them :angel: hehe.. Thank you all so much for your help! I really appreciate it. I'll get to work on that new holistic doggie food now and try to convince my mother to splurge a little more for her kitties. She likes to nurture strays.. She's currently got like 7 cats plus a litter of kitties.. lol Cat-Lady indeed.
Kas

geisha
May 23rd, 2007, 01:52 PM
If you are unsure of what kind of dry kibble/canned to feed and have access to the internet check out:
dogaware.com
dogfoodanalysis.com
Also remember the best dogfood is what your pup does best on!!!

Cheers:thumbs up